Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 08:36 PM

7 posts, read 28,476 times

Advertisements

Like I have said in my other posts I have a wife and a three year old daughter and I have been thinking of moving my family to Colorado. I was in Colorado for three months at one time about 10 years ago and I really liked it. I found the people to be really friendly. I was just wondering since I was only there about 90 days if any ex-New Yorks had any tips on relocating to Colorado. I was thinking of moving to a suburb outside of Denver or possible even to Greeley. Any opinions and suggestions would be appreciated. I think a place near a university would be good for my wife who will be an ungraduate student. Also at some point I might go back to get my Masters in Nursing but not really sure yet. And I am looking to spend about 250,000 on a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 07:53 AM

11,829 posts, read 34,444,869 times
Greeley would be more "affordable" - but you can get a 3-4 bedroom house outside of Denver for $250,000.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:31 PM

18 posts, read 84,634 times
I am a native New Yorker who moved to Colorado back in the mid-90's. CO is a great place to raise your children. You may want to look at Fort Collins and Louisville. I am planning on returning to CO sometime in the near future.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:49 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,478,878 times
From a Colorado native: Lose your New York City accent and an "Eastern attitude," if you have one. It will be a lot easier for you. New Yorkers who don't stick out like a sore thumb in Colorado--just like I would if I moved to NYC.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:35 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,406,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
From a Colorado native: Lose your New York City accent and an "Eastern attitude," if you have one. It will be a lot easier for you. New Yorkers who don't stick out like a sore thumb in Colorado--just like I would if I moved to NYC.
Jazzlover,
You are one my favorite members on this website because your issues about the environment that you have detailed and you concerned about maintaining a Colorado identity. I do not agree with your post, all the time, but they are intelligent and interesting.

However, I do not agree with this post. I am an former New "Yawker" and I have lived here for almost 30 years. I have the accent and it cannot disappear like magic. What you may perceive as attitude is many times mannerism which are intrinsically tied to regional language variation. Where, I grew up, people talked closer to your face, touched your shoulders and talked a little louder---This is a result of European cultural and language influences. Some of this behavior I have tried to modify as to not cause other people stress; I use humor and make fun of myself.

Yes there is "Eastern attitude" and some of this can be diminished--as a New Yorker believing that "The City" is the only city of culture and influence in this country.

So I do not have to repeat myself this is a former post of mine:

It is gut to be in Amerika

"...I grew up in New Yorker and I like California and Californians. I was in the Army there, a student at the Presidio of Monterey for language training and it was a wonderful experience for a young man to see that wonderful state. I am a Coloradoan because I now live here and it does not matter if you have been here one year or almost thirty like me--we are all Coloradoans, if we claim residency. I absolutely "in like" with mid-westerners.

I have lived here more years than New York, however because of the formative years in another region, I have retained some of the accent, the mannerism of a New Yorker. Yes, that is annoying to some and I have tried to change some behavior. When, I first came here, I was also told I was yelling on the phone, I said "I AM NOT YELLING, I TAWK THAT WAY." So, I have learned to talk quieter and slower on the phone. In person, it it not an issue because people see your expression, and see my hands emphazing, and knowing I have New Yawk traits---they laugh and I laugh.

In truth, I was born in New York City and left when I was five and moved to Western New York, near Buffalo. So I have sort of a mixed accent. The people of Buffalo have a distinct accent that is very different from people from New York City. The accent is more closely tied to Cleveland and Pittsburgh. So there is big differences, even within the state of New York, of how we perceive each other. In addition, I am of Sicilian descent and that has many differences from others ethnicities as Russian and German Jews, Polish, etc. "hey, ya tawking to me", ya mutter too..."

It is important to maintain the regional differences or we are going to become a very bland country. I came here from Texas, and I was in the Army there, I still have a warm spot for a Texas accent. I will melt in adorement in front of a women from the south. Any strange accent I hear--I want to know more and when I hear a real rural Coloradan accent, I am enthralled.

The beauty of America is that we make fun of each other, we kid each other, we laugh at New Yawkers, and perceptions of California "fruits and nuts". We snicker at Texan "Goat Ropers". If you really want to see the joy of making fun of each other--spend some time in the military. However, mostly we do not kill ourselves in the streets because of differences, as other countries of the world carry on violent regional feuds.

I grew up in an area with mostly immigrants who came to this country during the wave of immigration from about 1870-1920 There were very distinct neighborhoods and sometimes there were clashes--like "West Side Story" However in Colorado that is not as evident and it is changing in the older cities of the east as we become a mixed soup, as a minestrone and tolerance is the rule of the game we must play."

[+] Rate this post positively

Old 08-23-2007, 11:41 AM

81 posts, read 261,929 times
If you're coming from NY, please bring your Deli's and awesome Italian food along with you. Colorado is seriously lacking.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:19 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,230,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
What?? Lose your New York City accent? That's ridicuous... I can understand changing your attitude, but your accent?? Please!

Old 08-23-2007, 08:56 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,406,153 times
Default The New York Accent--part of American Culture

New York accents and mannnerisms are everywhere one looks in entertainment and media.

Why? because it is a common cultural sharing that we can understand and laugh and cry with.

What would Disney Animations and many cartoons be without the New York accent sidekick or talking parrot. It is an accent that gives empathy in boxing movies and war flicks. My favorite actor was William Bendix. It develops characters in the gangster movies. Remember James Cagney, and to our perceptions of the Big Apple, Ethel Merman. It is predominate in musicals and shows because the accent and manners give color to stage and screen. Look at TV, Tony Danza, in "Whose the Boss". Would not the argument between Trump and Roseanne loose some fire, without the manners of a New Yorker.

I am sure that many of you can think of your favorite singers, comedians, and actors that are noted for that accent. My memories are of Bud Abbott of Abbott and Costello, Robert Alda of "Mash" and Woody Allen etc.

Many of us can perceive the difference between the accent of the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and the difference in accents from refined midtown in Manhattan and the lower east side. It adds the rainbow of sounds to my appreciation.

There are big accent and mannerism differences in A New York Italian, Jew, and Puerto Rican. Today the accent is changing with the influence of the new immigrants from new lands.

A large percentage of us can trace our roots to New York immigration through Ellis Island. I have heard people who have a variation of a New York accent who have never been there because of the influence of their parents, and grandparents. So celebrate the accents of New York because without them it would be a very bland world. Ya, know, whata mean??

"Heres Lookin at ya Kid." Humphrey Bogart

Old 08-23-2007, 09:23 PM

144 posts, read 638,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonna View Post
If you're coming from NY, please bring your Deli's and awesome Italian food along with you. Colorado is seriously lacking.
Yikes!! I'm a former NYer who has lived in CA for the past 5 years and is more than likely moving to Denver at the turn of the new year for my job. One of the things I miss most about NY, besides my family, is the food. You will never find any better Italian food than in NY. Thank God I can cook. And thank God I am Italian. Maybee I'll start a restaurant!

But on to the original reason for this topic. People by nature are migratory. We go from one place to another all the time. Some stay in one spot, others don't. There are no doors on state borders saying those from other states cannot come in. If a Coloradan wants to move to NY, be my guest. If another NYer wants to move to California, go ahead. If you are from California and want to move to Colorado, have fun. That's the beauty of it all. We are all from different places. We combine our experiences in a new place. I hate the attitude of natives making non natives feel so much like outsiders. So when I move to CO, I will invite all the NYers to my place and we will eat lots of pizza and wings, bracciole and meatballs, Nathan's hotdogs, and a big fat chicken parmesan!

Old 08-23-2007, 09:35 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,230,128 times
Thank you! Can you imagine how borring the world would be if we all talked the same, had the same ideas, came from the same place? The world would be such a borring place! I love talking to people from different places: every place has its own culture and that variety is really the spice of life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado