Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2020, 05:56 PM

2,887 posts, read 7,139,514 times

Advertisements

Vail Resorts to close all North American resorts due to coronavirus

Quote:
Vail Resorts (NYSE: MTN) will close all 34 of its North American resorts from Sunday until at least March 22 in response to the spread of the coronavirus, the Broomfield-based company announced Saturday. It operates five resorts in Colorado. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2020, 09:09 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,212,349 times
I don’t see why you would need to close a ski resort like Vail, Breck, Keystone. Sure close the restaurants and lodges, but the actual lifts? If it is so contagious that you are going to catch it from someone on a lift for 7 minutes, then you need to stop all air travel, buses, trains, taxi service, and everyone needs to stay in their home for 6 weeks. I am going to rage if this escalates to where my gym closes.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:42 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,908,526 times
Governor Polis took it one step further and issued an executive order closing all the ski areas in the state for one week.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:07 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,573,180 times
Default All Colorado Ski Resorts are Closed

By order of the governor.

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/vai...ough-march-22/

Quote:
Colorado Gov. Jared Polis on Saturday night issued an executive order to close the state’s nearly 30 ski areas for one week amid the new coronavirus outbreak.

Old 03-15-2020, 08:43 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,583,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
I don’t see why you would need to close a ski resort like Vail, Breck, Keystone. Sure close the restaurants and lodges, but the actual lifts? If it is so contagious that you are going to catch it from someone on a lift for 7 minutes, then you need to stop all air travel, buses, trains, taxi service, and everyone needs to stay in their home for 6 weeks. I am going to rage if this escalates to where my gym closes.
You haven’t been paying attention if you don’t realize it is that contagious. Also, closing down ski resorts keeps tourists from bringing more cases to the high country. Italy, Denmark, France, Spain, Israel, and increasingly more countries are resorting to the exact measures you describe. My gym is closed, though I’ve been avoiding it since China shut down. It’s most likely gonna happen to yours too. Maybe instead of rage you should consider self-reflection on the seriousness of this pandemic.

Last edited by Westerner92; 03-15-2020 at 08:56 AM..

Old 03-15-2020, 08:47 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,908,526 times
I may have to take a break from Facebook for a while because of Coronavirus. It's getting increasingly difficult not to reach through the monitor and slap the s**t out of some of my family and friends. Their ignorance is truly astounding. To them it's all a damn conspiracy to take down the president because the impeachment failed. Nevermind the fact that Trump himself declared a frigging national emergency or that Italy and Spain are in total lockdown. Morons.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:00 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,573,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
You haven’t been paying attention if you don’t realize it is that contagious. Also, closing down ski resorts keeps tourists from bringing more cases to the high country. Italy, Denmark, France, Spain, Israel, and increasingly more countries are resorting to the exact measures you describe. My gym is closed, though I’ve been avoiding it since China shut down. It’s most likely gonna happen to yours too. Maybe instead of rage you should consider self-reflection on the seriousness of this pandemic.
I agree. Halting tourism is critical. There’s a reason we are number 5 on the list of most cases. It’s all centered around Aspen and Vail. A state mandated shutdown should also help the big guys with their business interruption insurance. I feel bad for the little guys like Silverton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I may have to take a break from Facebook for a while because of Coronavirus. It's getting increasingly difficult not to reach through the monitor and slap the s**t out of some of my family and friends. Their ignorance is truly astounding. To them it's all a damn conspiracy to take down the president because the impeachment failed. Nevermind the fact that Trump himself declared a frigging national emergency or that Italy and Spain are in total lockdown. Morons.
I have had to turn the social media way down.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:45 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,716,602 times
Quote:
Because ski resorts are magnets for tourism from other countries.

Look at the CO outbreak maps. The metro Front Range has most cases of known infection, due to its population and density and wealth (international air travel more common). But outside of there, the areas that got the masses of infected travelers are ski resort towns.

The big tourism season in CO is about to “spring open” and I, despite, living in a rural county, am worried that this will bring the disease to such areas. Travelers from all over come to hike, mountain bike, visit ancient sites, national-park-hop, and camp.

If this pandemic doesn’t die down soon, the cancellations will continue. Ride The Rockies is in June. Will it still happen? (No, I am not involved in the event in any way.)

Old 03-15-2020, 10:54 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,114,218 times
Quote:
It IS that contagious. I am actually raging because they have NOT shut gyms down. My 79 year old dad insisted on going on Friday; "Well, I'm going to use the sauna & the virus will die anyway"
Then he tells me yesterday that it was virtually empty; "Except for a few other old guys". UGH!

And then my daughter at CU who works at the Y. She is on duty right now in Lafeyette & tells me this morning that she forgot to get her inhalers prescription refilled. She has ASTHMA & a HEART MURMUR & she lives on campus.

Yes, PLEASE shut the gyms down. Should have been done two weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
You are telling me. A lot of my friends are antivaxers & they are going crazy with the conspiracy theories. From "Q anon" (I just joined that one to see what the fuss is about, lol) to "It's all fake news"; I am just livid.

Not that the non-AVs are any better. They just keep sending me TP memes. I said last month on my page that international travel should have been shut down already & I was laughed at. I said that here last month on the big thread & I was laughed at.

Apparently I am again an outlier. You couldn't pay me to get the new vaccine but I have been taking this seriously since day one. And then there is the politics

I'm going to be using that emoji alot today. Wish there was one like that for FB. Maybe I can screenshot it & blow it up for all my posts, lol.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:29 PM

26,226 posts, read 49,085,600 times
Christi, I will keep you in my thoughts.

My sister has been drinking some unknown variety of kool-aid and believes that big Pharma started this mess so they can get paid to create a vaccine. She is not aware that most of big Pharma doesn't want to be in the low profit vaccine business and there's no shortage of threats for those firms who do want to create vaccines (Herpes, common cold, etc etc).

FYI: I just banned a Russian troll who wanted to post how the American people have been brainwashed by the media and then they go out and vote their ignorance. They recognize how susceptible we are to jump on any conspiracy theory and four-wall it far and wide on social media and bogus website and facebook accounts of which they have thousands doing just that. Take that for what it's worth.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado