Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2023, 05:58 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times

Advertisements

From the Fort Collins Coloradoan:

Quote:
Dave Barjenburch, National Weather Service meteorologist in Boulder, said our moisture streak is much more related to where high- and low-pressure ridges are located than to the transition from a La Nina pattern to El Nino.

Typically, he said, Colorado weather this time of year is dominated by a high-pressure ridge in the Southwest, which produces warmer and drier conditions for Colorado. This spring, that high-pressure ridge has moved north into the upper Midwest, which has blocked or slowed our storm track over Colorado while creating above-average temperatures and below-average moisture in Canada, resulting in devastating wildfires.
It feels like we have gone from spring to summer monsoon season and forget about "normal" June weather in Colorado. I had planned to go out and put the annuals I just bought into their planters that I put out every summer - usually by late May. However all this rain and cooler weather makes it feel like the beginning of May here rather than the beginning of June, and this afternoon a thunderstorm arrived and then turned from thunder to steady rain. No more putting flowers out today and I'm loving it!

I'm sorry for the folks up north but I'm glad that the onset of fire season here in Colorado will be delayed this year. If we're lucky, the monsoon will arrive soon and we could have a summer with fewer wildfires all around our state. Fingers crossed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2023, 07:17 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Annuals are out.
Mud Pies are in.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-07-2023, 05:48 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,195,784 times
Just a normal weather pattern- at least the WIND was not nearly as bad as last year.

The rain will be missed later in the summer when the heat sets in.

Old 06-07-2023, 09:06 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,299,085 times
Variance

Old 06-11-2023, 06:15 PM

4,030 posts, read 2,715,223 times
I had my sprinkler system turned on Mother's Day weekend, as usual. Aside from running it that first day to check for any issues, I haven't needed to turn it on since.

Old 06-11-2023, 06:34 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
On the News they talked about TICKS...here? Great...Mosquitos and fleas, oh boy.
But still ...I'm not complaining!! Not with the temps in the 100s this week in San Antonio, where I used to live in
SUCH heat!

Old 06-11-2023, 09:49 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
Just a normal weather pattern- at least the WIND was not nearly as bad as last year.

The rain will be missed later in the summer when the heat sets in.
This isn't a normal weather pattern for June.

Old 06-12-2023, 05:07 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,195,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This isn't a normal weather pattern for June.
OK- in your expert opinion what is the "normal" pattern?

Growing up here every summer was wet in the afternoons- usually every month it would rain later in the day which was great. Cooling the temps in the afternoon is never a bad thing. Hard to keep your car clean though (!)

Old 06-12-2023, 06:54 AM

5,355 posts, read 5,132,164 times
The other thing is that since it's been so wet further west, that raises the humidity and makes it more likely to rain as the winds blow things east. It's rained pretty much every other day here in Taos as well, and you can just watch the clouds start to form as things evaporate in the morning.

Old 06-12-2023, 01:10 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
OK- in your expert opinion what is the "normal" pattern?

Growing up here every summer was wet in the afternoons- usually every month it would rain later in the day which was great. Cooling the temps in the afternoon is never a bad thing. Hard to keep your car clean though (!)
This pattern is abnormal according to past data. The rain has been earlier in the season and much greater than typical. We are several inches over average for precipitation. It is far too early for the monsoon pattern you remember from your childhood and this isn't monsoonal precipitation. We're in an anomalous pattern currently where the moisture that would more often be up in Canada/PNW has been here instead - hence the drought and wildfires going on there.

We are also looking to be transitioning to a likely El Nino pattern from several years of La Nina which means things will probably stay on the wetter side this year, which is good for ending our drought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado