Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 11:00 AM

2 posts, read 2,828 times

Advertisements

I am 36, have 2 young kids and grew up in OH, I moved to CO to ski for six years right after college, got married/had a baby and wanted to be home with family. Have been back in OH for 9 years now. I LOVE CO, and miss it, and think about going back, but, as much as my family bugs me, they are here and my kids are growing up close to their grandparents. People live here for family.period. No jobs, unhealthy population, but...family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 11:08 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,377,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomountaingirl View Post
I am 36, have 2 young kids and grew up in OH, I moved to CO to ski for six years right after college, got married/had a baby and wanted to be home with family. Have been back in OH for 9 years now. I LOVE CO, and miss it, and think about going back, but, as much as my family bugs me, they are here and my kids are growing up close to their grandparents. People live here for family.period. No jobs, unhealthy population, but...family.

Very true. The only thing I have in Ohio is family. That's it.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:31 PM

351 posts, read 650,039 times
Eh, I think you guys might be selling the Buckeye state a little short. Much of it all depends on where you are in Ohio. If you're from like Canton or Lima or something, I'll grant you that family might be the only reason to stick around. But Cincinnati and Cleveland are two major metropolitan areas with cultural traditions that are deep and rich. There's a lot of soul in those cities. Columbus is thriving with a diverse economy and dynamic, educated workforce. Yet it remains remarkably affordable--much, much cheaper than Denver.

There are a lot of wonderful things you find in Ohio that you just won't find in Colorado (and a lot of terrible things in Colorado which are blissfully absent in Ohio), and for some people, that makes all the difference....

Old 11-30-2008, 02:15 PM

8 posts, read 16,932 times
Hey all! thanks so much for your responses. Yes, this is a personal decision but the reason i posted was to get different opinions that will help me in making the decision. So, keep them coming -they help more than you realize!!! smiles

Old 12-01-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Answers View Post
Eh, I think you guys might be selling the Buckeye state a little short. Much of it all depends on where you are in Ohio. If you're from like Canton or Lima or something, I'll grant you that family might be the only reason to stick around. But Cincinnati and Cleveland are two major metropolitan areas with cultural traditions that are deep and rich. There's a lot of soul in those cities. Columbus is thriving with a diverse economy and dynamic, educated workforce. Yet it remains remarkably affordable--much, much cheaper than Denver.

There are a lot of wonderful things you find in Ohio that you just won't find in Colorado (and a lot of terrible things in Colorado which are blissfully absent in Ohio), and for some people, that makes all the difference....
Columbus, definatley. But CLeveland? The whole city is a dead eyesore. Unless you live in the western suburbs.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:25 PM

435 posts, read 1,575,985 times
My quick 2 cents: Colorado's great, and I'd choose it hands down over Ohio, all things being equal- the problem is, all things may not be equal. Family, for one, can't be replaced by a great view and great weather. Also, depending on your profession, the lure of more potential money could be too strong a pull in the other direction to resist. In my field, the pay scale in the midwest is way higher than it is in the mountain west. I actually had the choice once between a job in the midwest in an older, rust belt city versus a similar job in a nice resorty west slope town. Based strictly on aesthetic appeal, it would have been a no-brainer, but the salary offer was about 50K higher in the midwest, which for me was a dealbreaker.

I don't care how pretty it is or how much I love to ski, that kind of income discrepancy just cannot be ignored. I refuse to settle for "poverty with a view", so to speak, eking out a meager living in order to live in paradise when I can live like a king somewere else that might not be so beautiful. Over the course of a career, if you added up the total income I'd have given up by moving to town B in the rockies as opposed to town A, it just made absolutely no sense.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22 View Post
My quick 2 cents: Colorado's great, and I'd choose it hands down over Ohio, all things being equal- the problem is, all things may not be equal. Family, for one, can't be replaced by a great view and great weather. Also, depending on your profession, the lure of more potential money could be too strong a pull in the other direction to resist. In my field, the pay scale in the midwest is way higher than it is in the mountain west. I actually had the choice once between a job in the midwest in an older, rust belt city versus a similar job in a nice resorty west slope town. Based strictly on aesthetic appeal, it would have been a no-brainer, but the salary offer was about 50K higher in the midwest, which for me was a dealbreaker.

I don't care how pretty it is or how much I love to ski, that kind of income discrepancy just cannot be ignored. I refuse to settle for "poverty with a view", so to speak, eking out a meager living in order to live in paradise when I can live like a king somewere else that might not be so beautiful. Over the course of a career, if you added up the total income I'd have given up by moving to town B in the rockies as opposed to town A, it just made absolutely no sense.
Says you. My family WAS replaced by a great view and weather.

To helll with them, if they want to see me so much, they can come out here.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:16 PM

435 posts, read 1,575,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Says you. My family WAS replaced by a great view and weather.

To helll with them, if they want to see me so much, they can come out here.
I realize that your profession may not be the same as mine, and therefore it would be hard for you to really put yourself in my shoes. But if you can honestly say with a straight face that you would give up what amounts to close to 2 million dollars in total income over the course of your career just to live someplace with a view, without regard to proximity to loved ones or your career, then you my friend are either: 1. young and naive; 2. old and independently wealthy; or 3. just plain clueless.

They do have this great new invention you may have heard of called the airplane? If I need to get my mountain fix, I'll use some of my disposable extra income to hop on a plane and fly there for 30 days a year and still come out ahead.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:35 PM

54 posts, read 128,515 times
Default Home

For me Ohio will always be home and I am very grateful I grew up in a middle-class Christian home. During their formative years my children truly did benefit from the support of their grand-parents, aunts, uncles, cousins and extended church family. They have matured into well rounded confident Americans. Today I look forward to the opportunity to see more of this beautiful country and I am sure they will continue to benefit from my decision to do so. If you decide to choose CO perhaps you will find the support you need through new friends, neighbors or adopted church family. Best of luck.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22 View Post
I realize that your profession may not be the same as mine, and therefore it would be hard for you to really put yourself in my shoes. But if you can honestly say with a straight face that you would give up what amounts to close to 2 million dollars in total income over the course of your career just to live someplace with a view, without regard to proximity to loved ones or your career, then you my friend are either: 1. young and naive; 2. old and independently wealthy; or 3. just plain clueless.

They do have this great new invention you may have heard of called the airplane? If I need to get my mountain fix, I'll use some of my disposable extra income to hop on a plane and fly there for 30 days a year and still come out ahead.
Well yes, but I came to Colorado for the exact reason you just stated. Income. I'm not naive, I just go where the money is, family be damned.

ANd I can use my disposable income to fly to see them if I want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado