Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 4,099 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I currently live in Orange Country CA by the beach with sunny weather and palm trees and ocean breeze. I will be moving with my finacee for the first time to Colorado in March 2010 due to the high cost of living in CA and the desire for change. I am 24 and my finacee is 29. He is just graduating collage in computer networking and I have no degree but currently work for a publishing company. We are both straight, white, republican, christians. I have been researching which city in Colorado would be best for us and would really appreaciate suggestions. I am interested in Denver, Fort Collins, and Louisville, but am open to any Colorado cities you can suggest that might be best for me. I am seeking a city that is safe and low in crime, has the least amount of snow, has easy and frequent public transportation, has close by shopping and dining options, is a good place to start a family but still is not far from malls and jobs and city life, has the least amount of natural disasters and insects, has many job opportunities close by, has affordable apartments, friendly people, a close by community collage. I dont care about outdoor activities very much but would like a place where it is safe and easy to walk on the streets at night and enjoy the beauty of trees and mountains. If any city comes to mind that would be the best fit for me would you please respond with the city you suggest and the reason why. All responses would be much apprecaited. Thank you!!

Last edited by KillerBarbie1985; 09-03-2009 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 01:14 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times
Denver, Ft. Collins.., eother one could possibly fit your needs. So could Louisville but I wouldn't put too much stock in those 'best places to live' ratings... they're based on some pretty arbitrary factors.

Like I tell almost everyone with this question... Unless you're planning on working full time from home, you should get a job first and then just plan on living as close to it as possible. If it's too hard to find a job from CA, then just move to a city that has the sort of employment you're seeking and rent a place until you find something. Even if you do have the flexibility of remote work, I would weigh factors like access to groceries, hospitals, airports, etc... heavier than idealistic factors like weather, views and how liberal/conservative people there may be.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:27 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Fort Collins and Colorado Springs would be your best bets. Both are safe. Colorado Springs are quite conservative which seems like it would fit your christian leaning. They may get more snowfall than what you want, but if you're looking for little snowfall you're limited to small, isolated towns out in the desert, away from the mountains and not close to the city. So you're going to have to compromise and go with one of the communities on the Front Range (the I-25 corridor.)

Old 09-03-2009, 02:36 PM

9 posts, read 45,679 times
Colorado Springs and the surrounding areas are great ( I love Manitou Springs) very eclectic.I made the mistake of moving to North Carolina from California and on the way back lived with my daughter for a couple of months. Because of the military bases and associated industries you would not think there is a recession there at all, long lines to get into a restaurants on Fridays and Saturdays. Plenty of job opportunities.An easy 1.5 hour drive to Denver to see Broncos or Rockies and good nightlife BUT be prepared for colder winters and snow, although it does not last long after any event. Be prepared for some crazy drivers.
Overall beautiful but I love PS in the Desert

Old 09-03-2009, 02:48 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Well definitely search previous threads as this topic has been extensively discussed on this forum.

Probably the best thing to do is line up jobs first and then narrow your focus down to a 30 minute drive area.

With some exceptions most of the Front Range isn't that different from suburb to suburb. There are a few bad areas but those can be easily avoided.

Also keep in mind all of Colorado cities are not in the mountains but near the mountains. Same with trees. There are nice trees in older parts of Denver, but most of Colorado is a high desert environment.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:20 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
During an economic re-adjustment like we're going thru right now, if you have a job where you currently live, it is probably in your best interest to keep it, and delay your move until this thing runs its course. On the other hand, if you have sufficient savings to cover all your expenses for the next year or two, then you are more likely to make a move without regretting it. Jobs are tough to find right now. Keep in mind that you will be competing for jobs with people who are already well established in Colorado, people who have family, friends, and other connections, people who know how things work locally. In regard to getting hired, you'll be on the bottom of the totem pole. I'm not saying that you couldn't luck into getting hired on the very first job you apply for, but the odds are against you. To make it easier on yourself, find a job first or come with alot of $$$$$ in the bank.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,099 times
Do you think jobs are hard to find there? I know the economy is bad in CA although I have a job here. I thought that CO had a better ecomony than CA. Would you say its about the same?

Old 09-04-2009, 01:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I don't really know what California's economy is like, but Colorado's is not the greatest. That is definitely something to keep in mind.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:56 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBarbie1985 View Post
Do you think jobs are hard to find there? I know the economy is bad in CA although I have a job here. I thought that CO had a better ecomony than CA. Would you say its about the same?
No, I'm sure there are still way more jobs in CA than in CO. Mainly because there are way more PEOPLE there. Also there are still many huge tech and other corporations out there plus all the support industries surrounding them.

Last edited by treedonkey; 09-04-2009 at 03:00 PM..

Old 09-04-2009, 02:21 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
I'm just guessing, but I think treedonkey is right on the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado