Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 10:06 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,079 times

Advertisements

Indeed, I must correct what I said earlier... I remembered that the reason I had to provide proof of residence before getting my PO Box here was because they it is a FREE box (since they don't deliver here). I just wanted to pay for a private box, I'm sure they would not have cared whether I was a resident or not, provide there were boxes available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 03:01 PM

24 posts, read 48,249 times
Great advice whoisjongalt! Those sound like very practical tips from someone who has experienced it first hand. Thank you.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:36 PM

10 posts, read 26,690 times
I would love to hear your progress with your move, as I feel much like you do!

Old 01-24-2010, 02:45 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
I did what you are talking about. First rent a private P.O. Box like Mailboxes Etc. You can use the street address and box # as your address and it looks like a real address. Next, buy one of those pre-paid phones and get a Colorado number. I didn't have any problem and I lived in California. Use that address and phone on your resumes/letters etc. I was also able to ship boxes to the mail place just before I moved and pick them up after I arrived. Like the earlier posts said, you will really have to be here to interview unless you can afford to fly in on the spur of the moment but you can get a head start by making it look like you live here already.
I hate to shatter peoples' ideas about this--I've been hiring and firing people for over three decades now--but I can see through the local PO Box/phone number scam to make your interviewer think you are a resident in about the first minute of an interview, if it ever gets to that point. In fact, I usually won't even consider a person who does that when applying for a job. If he or she is going to try to shine me about that, what are they going to do once they are on the job? I do have to admit, though, it can be fun catching them in the lie. That "I'm so busted" look from them can be pretty amusing.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:00 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,567,137 times
Plus some (most?) PO Boxes require you to have an actual address or at least a state ID...which requires an address. Etc.

I know, go figure.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:31 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
Plus some (most?) PO Boxes require you to have an actual address or at least a state ID...which requires an address. Etc.

I know, go figure.
There was no or little on site mail delivery in the Vail Valley(everyone had to have a PO Box) and I remember several times when I renewed my Avon, CO PO box I had to bring my lease in showing my residency plus two forms of ID. I'd imagine it's much the same in the rest of Colorado.

Especially for professional jobs I don't think it really matters that much that you reside outside the state. People move all the time for new opportunity.

I find with everything honesty is the best policy.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:07 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I hate to shatter peoples' ideas about this--I've been hiring and firing people for over three decades now--but I can see through the local PO Box/phone number scam to make your interviewer think you are a resident in about the first minute of an interview, if it ever gets to that point. In fact, I usually won't even consider a person who does that when applying for a job. If he or she is going to try to shine me about that, what are they going to do once they are on the job? I do have to admit, though, it can be fun catching them in the lie. That "I'm so busted" look from them can be pretty amusing.
I you read my post correctly, I said "Like the earlier posts said, you will really have to be here to interview unless you can afford to fly in on the spur of the moment but you can get a head start by making it look like you live here already". My point was that if you are IN THE PROCESS of moving, you can get a head start by getting a PO box and local number.

Maybe you should consider that anyone who would go to so much effort to get an interview would actually be a good employee. But I'd never want to work for you anyway....

Old 01-25-2010, 10:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
^^^Plus, the OP said to rent a private mailbox, like Mailboxes, Etc. People are looking everywhere; you can't expect someone to move to CO and job hunt for 6 months (for example), then move somewhere else for 6 months if they don't get a job, and so on. I don't think it's the worst thing you could do.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:51 AM

621 posts, read 1,054,095 times
I agree that it isn't the worst think an employee would do.

Outright lying is not cool, but getting a local number that forwards is just fine, imo.

Even when moving into Colorado, a Google Voice number may help maintain the stability of calls. Oftentimes temporary rentals and a bit of moving about occurs when first moving.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:20 AM

24 posts, read 48,249 times
As I read on another thread, no one looks at out-of-state job applicants and one needs a job lined up to move out-of-state. It is a problem. We're meeting with our financial advisor to make a time-line for ourselves to get out there. I think I'm just going to have to rent someplace with my kids for a time so that my husband has a chance to apply to jobs with a Colorado address. It's going to be hard. My husband works in IT/network admin./telecommunications. Would it be wise to rent someplace near the DTC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado