Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 06:10 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Arent most soldiers now being housed off base via a voucher? I think that is what happened at Shaw AFB.. though since FJ is Army Training.. it may be less practical.
The majority of the soldiers at FJ are in basic training and can't live off base. Certainly some of the permanent soldiers live off base, but they aren't a huge percentage of the total that are stationed there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 06:00 AM

12,883 posts, read 18,736,837 times
The population of the city of Columbia had crossed the 130,000 mark as of July, 2011.

Table: How U.S. cities have grown

Last edited by Charlestondata; 06-28-2012 at 06:09 AM..

Old 06-28-2012, 01:43 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,955,432 times
130,591. The city grew 1.0% from 2010-2011.

I see Charleston catching up at 122,689, double the speed at 2.2%.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:25 PM

3,838 posts, read 3,064,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post

North Charleston is getting real close to 100k.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:29 PM

3,838 posts, read 3,064,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
North Charleston is getting real close to 100k.
Oops. My bad, should not have posted. Thought I was in the SC forum - not Columbia's.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:53 PM

12,883 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post

You never know what the future holds. Columbia has a lot of of room to grow both through annexation and infill. I don't remember how much of the recent annexation here had taken place by 7/2011. I know that the two neighborhoods that flank 277 were annexed well after that, and they have quite a few homes in them. And someone told me that a reliable source told them an annexation of Olympia might be in the works. But I'll simply move if Charleston overtakes Columbia to become the state's largest city, maybe to New York.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:56 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,955,432 times
Columbia also annexed an apartment complex off Sparkleberry earlier this year

Old 06-29-2012, 01:36 PM

8,226 posts, read 13,338,852 times
I am certain that the Columbia is keenly aware of Charleston's position... We are not the only ones concerned with bragging rights....

I know that Metro populations are the main focus of most population numbers as opposed to City Limits.. but it amazes me that from that post list.. there are many cities in the 100k or 200k range that are technically suburbs Some have passed the central city as the largest community in their region..so I guess Mt. Pleasant and Irmo have hope....

BTW.. I did not know that San Antonio is larger than Dallas.. go figure....The other interesting factor is some cities that have been loosing people by the bus load have now leveled off or posted slight gains.. Maybe there is hope for urbanity after all...

Old 06-29-2012, 01:44 PM

8,226 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
You never know what the future holds. Columbia has a lot of of room to grow both through annexation and infill. I don't remember how much of the recent annexation here had taken place by 7/2011. I know that the two neighborhoods that flank 277 were annexed well after that, and they have quite a few homes in them. And someone told me that a reliable source told them an annexation of Olympia might be in the works. But I'll simply move if Charleston overtakes Columbia to become the state's largest city, maybe to New York.
Whoa.. are you talking about the two areas on both side of the Clyburn Pedestrian Bridge? I know they wanted to be annexed for the longest but back under Coble both the Police Department and Public Services didnt want to take them in because the cost benefit ratio was negative. The tax benefit was low and the calls for service from Police was high along with the cost of garbage collection since there are quite a few homes in there. Maybe Mayor Steve felt that it was best to annex them in and clean them up as opposed to leaving them as islands of dispair in the County surrounded by the City.

Interestingly enough.. I believe the City and the County signed some form of agreement that would allow the City Police to go into the County and make arrest. Sheriff Deputies have always been allowed to go into the City and make arrest but not the other way around which is surprising. The new rule may help reduce crime in some of the border areas or doughnut holes that are in the County and surrounded by the City and full of crime

Old 06-29-2012, 03:04 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I think Charleston is pretty much boxed in, especially with James Island incorporating. It will probably max out soon.

Why would you move to New York if Charleston becomes the state's largest city (again)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Whoa.. are you talking about the two areas on both side of the Clyburn Pedestrian Bridge? I know they wanted to be annexed for the longest but back under Coble both the Police Department and Public Services didnt want to take them in because the cost benefit ratio was negative. The tax benefit was low and the calls for service from Police was high along with the cost of garbage collection since there are quite a few homes in there. Maybe Mayor Steve felt that it was best to annex them in and clean them up as opposed to leaving them as islands of dispair in the County surrounded by the City.
Yeah, the argument was pretty much that the city was cherry-picking when it came to annexation and that you've got to take the bad with the good when it comes to this.

Quote:
Interestingly enough.. I believe the City and the County signed some form of agreement that would allow the City Police to go into the County and make arrest. Sheriff Deputies have always been allowed to go into the City and make arrest but not the other way around which is surprising. The new rule may help reduce crime in some of the border areas or doughnut holes that are in the County and surrounded by the City and full of crime
It makes sense. The city is in the county, so county sheriff deputies have jurisdiction in the city. However, city police are restricted to the city in the absence of an agreement that states otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area