Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 10:05 AM

13,002 posts, read 18,865,402 times

Advertisements

The same weekend the city introduces the hospitality district patrol teams, police in Florida apprehend a man responsible for a murder near Five Points last October. City officials are also considering more cameras in Five Points. The October murder happened on a back street behind a strip of businesses that are closed late at night. No one who's coming to Five Points for entertainment ever goes back there and would never park there. It is an out-of-sight-out-of-mind street.

Arrest made in 5 Points shooting death - Crime & Courts - TheState.com (http://www.thestate.com/2011/08/13/1932336/arrest-made-in-5-points-shooting.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 11:42 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,603,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
The same weekend the city introduces the hospitality district patrol teams, police in Florida apprehend a man responsible for a murder near Five Points last October. City officials are also considering more cameras in Five Points. The October murder happened on a back street behind a strip of businesses that are closed late at night. No one who's coming to Five Points for entertainment ever goes back there and would never park there. It is an out-of-sight-out-of-mind street.

Arrest made in 5 Points shooting death - Crime & Courts - TheState.com (http://www.thestate.com/2011/08/13/1932336/arrest-made-in-5-points-shooting.html - broken link)
Not to mention that Walnut Street is not even in Five Points.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:53 AM

8,275 posts, read 13,442,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post

Havent been down there in a while, but is parking a problem in Five Points? Years ago people would park in the Food Lion Plaza or over on Devine Street or even over in the USC area and walk to Five Points... Parking in Lower Waverly was more uncommon then.. but I didnt know if some of the unofficial parking places are now restricted which may cause people to park off of the beaten path. Walnut Street at 5pm may be OK but after a few drinks and 12am in the morning it could become a different place. I know some people that do park over by King Park though.. That area is a little "safer" since students have begun to populate the parkside atleast in the section before community center.... behind the park towards Millwood is another story

Old 08-19-2011, 06:14 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,894,646 times
The main guy (ringleader) in the Carter Strange beating, was on probation for two previous burglaries. Had he been sentenced to jail after the burglaries, the Carter Strange beating in Five Points probably would not have happened.

Accused 5-Points ringleader was on probation - Crime & Courts - TheState.com (http://www.thestate.com/2011/08/19/1939215/accused-5-points-ringleader-was.html - broken link)

Old 08-19-2011, 07:17 AM

8,275 posts, read 13,442,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
The main guy (ringleader) in the Carter Strange beating, was on probation for two previous burglaries. Had he been sentenced to jail after the burglaries, the Carter Strange beating in Five Points probably would not have happened.

Accused 5-Points ringleader was on probation - Crime & Courts - TheState.com (http://www.thestate.com/2011/08/19/1939215/accused-5-points-ringleader-was.html - broken link)

Yeah it always seems that the guys that do this type of stuff are already on probation for some other crime. Its really unfortunate that many of these criminals get let out and then commit another crime similiar to the one they got locked up for..there doesnt seem to be as much reform going on.. Are there still such things as "reform schools" I remember when I used to act up in middle school the teacher would say.. "Just keep it up and you will be on a bus to reform school" that would send a shiver through the entire male population in the class and we would straighten up and fly right.... I guess kids today have NO FEAR of those types of facilities and they just give you rank and street cred if you go...We need more places like Boys Town....

Old 08-19-2011, 11:46 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,271,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Yeah it always seems that the guys that do this type of stuff are already on probation for some other crime.
You can read a paper and one headline states "Crime continues to fall" and on the next page "Prison overcrowding strains system" and nobody ties the two together. The majority of crime is committed by the same people who continue to break the law until they are caught and locked up. By keeping more criminals behind bars we create a safer society for the rest of us.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:24 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,051,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
.. Are there still such things as "reform schools" I remember when I used to act up in middle school the teacher would say.. "Just keep it up and you will be on a bus to reform school" that would send a shiver through the entire male population in the class and we would straighten up and fly right.... I guess kids today have NO FEAR of those types of facilities and they just give you rank and street cred if you go...We need more places like Boys Town....

i had a friend who's home life was worse then the boys detention home he'd get sent to and he didn't mind being there... as he said a quiet room and tv, not too bad ( this in the 70's )... maybe we need more "scared straight" programs but without the tv cameras--so when a young punk decides to smirk to one of the real prisoners, well with no camera maybe he gets taught a lesson he should have rec'd earlier on.... I myself would be scared not "straight" but "----less" if I was thrown in a room with some of those hardcore adult offenders

Old 08-22-2011, 12:08 PM

13,002 posts, read 18,865,402 times
Oops.

Greenville police try to identify suspect in downtown attack | The Greenville News | GreenvilleOnline.com

and oops.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/arti...text|FRONTPAGE

Maybe this thread can be killed now.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:55 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,894,646 times
So Carter Strange gets beaten within an inch of his life by teen thugs, there have been numerous shootings in Five Points over the years, high crime, etc......the city does the right thing and establishes a curfew......now the NAACP may challenge the curfew with a lawsuit. WTF???? What is the NAACP thinking????

Link from The State:
Curfew vote approaches; will lawsuit challenge plan? - Local / Metro - TheState.com (http://www.thestate.com/2011/08/23/1943102/curfew-vote-approaches.html - broken link)

Old 08-23-2011, 06:04 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,051,340 times
and if the punks would have been white and the victim black, likely the ACLU would have been the ones challenging any curfew.

All i know is that I, as a productive member of society, have a right to be safe out in public. And if that means a few security cameras, fine. And if kids cant be on the street at night, i could care less about that. ( no reason any kids need to be out there late at night, and 'punks' dont have a leg to stand on when they want to complain ). Its all about excuses these days. I came from a broken home, lived in bad areas growing up, and saw more crap then a kid should have to. But any trouble I may have ran into was of my own doing. If people would take responsibility for their own actions, that would be a great first step....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area