Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 05:38 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,614,604 times

Advertisements

I hope they do more with this site than just a Wal Mart, could be a good opportunity to bring in other retailers as well. I think it was mentioned earlier but, this is also an opportunity to extend sidewalks/lighting down Assembly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 08:04 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,673,474 times
See attached picture. Walmart, Mount Pleasant, SC opened in 2007. Thsy can be made to look less hideous:

Last edited by accufitgolf; 07-25-2012 at 08:14 AM..

Old 10-22-2011, 03:11 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,571,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
See attached picture. Walmart, Mount Pleasant, SC opened in 2007. Thsy can be made to look less hideous:
It doesn't matter if they're less hideous on the outside; they still have the same terrible service on the inside. Now if it were an urban Target I would be more excited.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:12 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,187,202 times
Wow, all but one post is positive. In Chicago people have been fitting tooth and nail against Wal-Mart for a decade and they finally lost. A Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market just opened in the West Loop at the ground level of a high rise apartment building. It's quite nice. Sparkling clean and big enough to have everything you need, including a pharmacy, but small enough to shop in quickly and easily. A regular Wal-Mart opened a few years ago, and two Super Centers will be coming soon to former industrial sites. More stores in all formats are planned for the future.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:54 PM

12,927 posts, read 18,778,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
That looks no better than the newer Walmarts in metro Columbia.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:05 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,961,781 times
I'd rather see a downtown Target

Old 10-23-2011, 05:04 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,673,474 times
Today, I took a ride by the area under discussion. It is so blighted that anything would be an improvement.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:59 AM

8,249 posts, read 13,375,186 times
Interesting... Every urban Walmart that I have heard of always has to battle the issue of wages which is often brought into question. You wonder if it will be an issue here in SC where the thought is that any job is a good job.. Additionally, I imagine that Columbia would want the tax base generated from a Wal Mart Store which certainly may increase the city's sales tax revenue.. though some of it would be canabalized from other retail stores in the City. I can see pluses and minuses.. but certainly USC and the gameday crowds will benefit.. I am not sure how Olympia and Rosewood will respond though

Also if it is truly and "urban" Walmart... it will have a smaller footprint and maybe other retail stores and possibly residential uses which can promote the City's intown population...especially near the University. If this happens, I said before in a prior post, the future of the State Fairgrounds will continue to be in question. Is the Fairgrounds where it is currently located the highest and best use for the property? USC and others are investing heavily in the area and its no longer "country" or "industrial" like it once was.. I have fond memories of the Fairgrounds and the State Farmers Market.. and we know one has already relocated.. I only think its a matter of time before the State cashes in and moves the Fairgrounds further out Bluff Road towards I-77 where its more accessible, the land is cheaper......Plus the State will make a nice piece of $$$ as it sells of large urban parcels...(eg. State Hospital)

Old 10-24-2011, 08:14 AM

435 posts, read 1,530,739 times
I have mixed feelings about this. There are four Walmart Supercenters within about 5-6 miles or so of the location, all of which are along the I-77/20/26 mini-beltway around the Columbia/Forest Acres core (Bush River Rd., US-1/West Columbia, Forest Drive, and Garners Ferry). So in a sense this location is already well-served by WalMarts for those willing to drive a bit, but there is no WalMart or Walmart product truly in the core.

While I would prefer some other business besides WalMart, one of their smaller retail flavors could fill an interesting niche that is not currently being filled in the greater downtown core. I'm thinking of the smaller WalMart Marketplace grocery/merchandise stores that could provide something more than the neighborhood Food Lion/Publix/Bi-Lo. These are modestly sized at 40,000 sf rather than the 200,000 sf SuperCenter behemoths (which have ran their course anyways as exurban sprawl has greatly slowed down). There really is no general merchandise store in & around downtown (which is the case with most such downtowns when they lost they central Sears or Belk years ago). Mast General is a nice "boutique" merchandise store on Main St., so that isn't really a comparison or competitor. So much of downtown, particularly in Five Points, Main St., and the Vista are dominated by niche, unique, and/or upscale retail, I don't think a small-footprint WalMart would be the end of the world. It may even bring some life to the South Assembly area. But like I said, I do wish it were something else.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:12 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,995,719 times
I'll miss the old stadium, but Wal-Mart there could potentially be an improvement. I don't know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area