Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 06:44 AM

12,942 posts, read 18,802,100 times

Advertisements

There's plenty of room downtown north of the railroad tracks for stores to locate, as they are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 07:31 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,267,908 times
I have a number of employees that live in that area and they are hoping that Wal Mart will open. There is not a discount store with a first rate line of products anywhere near that area and this would give a lot of lower income people in the surrounding neighborhoods some relief.

Ever notice how the people with disposable income and independent transportation always want to fight things like Wal Mart? It seems their thinking is that they are safely on board so its time to pull up the ladders.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:22 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,401,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post

Ever notice how the people with disposable income and independent transportation always want to fight things like Wal Mart? It seems their thinking is that they are safely on board so its time to pull up the ladders.
That's a narrow reading. Lots of folks who oppose WalMarts do so because it's a giant money funnel, pulling capital out of a community and sending it to Arkansas and China. Now, where some of those folks lose me is when they oppose WalMart but support Target, for example. The business model is similar. None of it helps the local economy. Not really.

Someone brought up Chicago and the fights against WalMart there. That had to do with a "big box" ordinance that pushed higher wages for employees of major retailers. They had no WalMarts when I lived there, but plenty of Targets because Target would pay their employees 10 bucks an hour to start. That helps more cash stay local in the form of wages.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:31 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,199,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
That's a narrow reading. Lots of folks who oppose WalMarts do so because it's a giant money funnel, pulling capital out of a community and sending it to Arkansas and China.
I think that LexingtonDad is spot-on. He raises a very interesting and provocative point actually. It often seems to be the case that those most opposed to WalMart are also those who have the privilege and luxury to shop elsewhere. I intentionally used the word privilege because it is important to be mindful that not everyone has the luxury to be able to shop at a variety of stores. Some people have limited resources, thus having limited places that they can afford to shop. If WalMart is one of the only places that a person can afford to shop, then so be it.

It seems that the "passion of the opposition" can often blind some people to this last point. Indeed, not having a WalMart has little to no impact on them. After all, they rarely, if ever, shop at a WalMart anyway. Yet, having another WalMart can have a huge impact on a poor person. This can be hard to see when the lens that one looks through is a privileged one.

It is absolutely true that people have many legitimate reasons to oppose WalMart. Nevertheless, I felt compelled to mention that part of what fuels this opposition is privilege.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:50 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,679,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
I think that LexingtonDad is spot-on. He raises a very interesting and provocative point actually. It often seems to be the case that those most opposed to WalMart are also those who have the privilege and luxury to shop elsewhere. I intentionally used the word privilege because it is important to be mindful that not everyone has the luxury to be able to shop at a variety of stores. Some people have limited resources, thus having limited places that they can afford to shop. If WalMart is one of the only places that a person can afford to shop, then so be it.

It seems that the "passion of the opposition" can often blind some people to this last point. Indeed, not having a WalMart has little to no impact on them. After all, they rarely, if ever, shop at a WalMart anyway. Yet, having another WalMart can have a huge impact on a poor person. This can be hard to see when the lens that one looks through is a privileged one.

It is absolutely true that people have many legitimate reasons to oppose WalMart. Nevertheless, I felt compelled to mention that part of what fuels this opposition is privilege.

I agree with this.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:28 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,401,816 times
Yep. Plenty of people who oppose WalMart are overprivileged *******s. But show me the real benefit of WalMart for a local community. Negligible.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:42 PM

I have no problem with Walmart anymore than any other chain. I choose to shop local as much as possible, but I don't make any judgment on someone who shops at chains. My issue is that I don't want something that looks suburban in that spot. I want a continuation of the urban footprint all the way down Assembly for all new developments. Walmart does do urban stores, and nothing less should be demanded of them at this site.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:34 AM

8,255 posts, read 13,393,821 times
Default Wal Mart Vs Target??

Some raised an interesting comparison between Wal Mart and Target. Both have the same "model" but most people dont oppose Target or if they do.. its mainly because of things like traffice as opposed to the actual business itself... Why? My suspicion is that Target may have a better reputation not only because of products but also employee relations. I have to admit that most Targets that I have been to.. the employees seem very helpful and typically "happy". Wal Mart employees vary from store to store.. Again, this my own generalization but I wonder if others have similiar opinions?? The other thought is Target may be a better corporate donor than Wal Mart? Again.. dont know for sure.. just suspect that it may influence some groups reaction to them.....

Old 11-04-2011, 01:39 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,267,908 times
I think at the end of the day we are going to have a Wal Mart at the old stadium site. City Council will pose and posture but they know that is an under served part of town and a discount retailer will be a big help to the neighborhood. Wal Mart will have to do some special landscaping/make a donation type stuff and the deal will move forward.

Also consider the financial end of the deal. How much sales tax is the city losing to Lexington county when people from Olympia go across the bridge to shop at Bi Lo or Wal Mart? And since the city owns the stadium it brings in no property taxes. I would imagine a Wally World would bring in a nice chunk of change.

And to those that are worried about how a Wal Mart would look at the site...Have you driven past there lately? A busted up shrimp boat sitting on dry land has more eye appeal than what is currently there.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:50 PM

As long as it looks like you're in the city and not the burbs I'm good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area