Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2018, 09:17 PM

746 posts, read 749,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
I can get on that...

A bit random and I may have brought this up before, but it lists a 280 room hotel at Kline site. Trying to envision how tall of a hotel this would be. For reference, I did a quick search and the embassy Suites on Greystone is 218 rooms and it’s 7 stories laid out on a large plat of land. Imagine if this proposed hotel could sit on top of the parking garage then this could amount to a very nice mid-rise. Always hoping for some “vertical”.
I think the article says 250 rooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 10:22 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
Looks like it says it is an A.C. Marriott hotel on the sketch...
Where's the sketch?

Old 12-21-2018, 05:35 AM

2,133 posts, read 2,275,249 times
From ColaTodays email,

“In order to help pay for customer’s refunds, SCANA will sell several of its properties – including their 3,000-acre Ramsey Grove Plantation in Georgetown (where executives + directors met for company retreats and duck hunting), their downtown Cola property on Huger St. (where buses were once housed), undeveloped land in Cayce + more. SCANA was ordered to refund their customers $2 billion. (The State)”

Maybe that land off Huger will finally get some sort of development?

Old 12-21-2018, 08:41 AM

1,154 posts, read 957,534 times
Richland spent millions on ‘Renaissance’ real estate. What happened to the buildings?

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...223254495.html

Old 12-21-2018, 09:30 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,847,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
From ColaTodays email,

“In order to help pay for customer’s refunds, SCANA will sell several of its properties – including their 3,000-acre Ramsey Grove Plantation in Georgetown (where executives + directors met for company retreats and duck hunting), their downtown Cola property on Huger St. (where buses were once housed), undeveloped land in Cayce + more. SCANA was ordered to refund their customers $2 billion. (The State)”

Maybe that land off Huger will finally get some sort of development?
It amazes me that they’ve been trying to sell that for 5 years, and put off all that time, they’ve only had one interested buyer that proposed a project.

Also they’ll be trying to unload Ottare that’s been for sale for years.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:33 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,847,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Richland spent millions on ‘Renaissance’ real estate. What happened to the buildings?

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...223254495.html
Buying property with no full thought out plan was not the way to go with tax payer money. They would’ve been better off encouraging the owner to turn into a mixed-use private facility. Almost reminds of the current penny projects, where no one planned for inflation and all projects are now twice the original proposed amount, so they either are being scaled back or canceled.

Old 12-23-2018, 05:50 PM

12,924 posts, read 18,770,297 times
Driving to and from Lake Murray today, we saw lots of nice-looking new subdivisions along 378 west of Lexington.

Old 12-26-2018, 12:14 PM

8,245 posts, read 13,368,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Buying property with no full thought out plan was not the way to go with tax payer money. They would’ve been better off encouraging the owner to turn into a mixed-use private facility. Almost reminds of the current penny projects, where no one planned for inflation and all projects are now twice the original proposed amount, so they either are being scaled back or canceled.

Ironically they are going to be forced to do something like the Richland Renaissance or be accused of squandering taxpayers money on the purchase and non action.. So those opponents will find that they may as well move those County Offices into those buildings.. pay for their reno and eat the cost of them now being off of the tax rolls. I agree with you that the prudent think about what to do in an attempt to find some type of "public private" partnership that results in some for of mixed use development and could jump start that area along with the privately held sections of the mall and the strip mall behind it. I don't get the sense that Richland County Government is that innovative when it comes to these types of scenarios

It is also going to impact the City of Columbia.. Richland County may be less likely to support any type of creative tax abatement scheme proffered by the City if they now have to think of their own one to redevelop Columbia Place..It will be a double whammy for City residents who are paying for things like Columbia Commons and this new "parking garage incentive" and will be paying for a new County Headquarters and Court facilities...in what is amount to "downtown Richland County" out on Decker and Two Notch

Old 12-26-2018, 02:38 PM

Default New Development at Cross Hill

Old Ruby Tuesday is being demolished for new retail...

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...223571615.html

Old 12-26-2018, 03:06 PM

Default A couple of quirky historic videos of Columbia

Here is a video from 1966 Columbia. Its a five part series (seems to be narrated by Gene Upright- Longtime WLTX 19 Anchor but not sure.) I am a native Columbian so this resonates with me.. though I was NOT alive when this video was shot.. I think I see my middle school teacher in various shots though...LOL

At anyrate.. great photos of when downtown was truly a downtown with shopping.. back when most of the old skyscrapers were new and Richland Mall was an open air shopping center the post office and the parking garage across from it were brand new, the state fair, Williams Brice, CAE, Sequi ... I just linked to first video.. but please feel free to watch all five.. if you can get past the beatnik and Brady Bunch style of dress and the "groovy man" tunes in the background...One thing is for sure.. the argument on "what is columbia" was going on even back then....Enjoy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkJxIhWb9Gs

Here is a neat video on Columbia's 1986 Bicentennial. I WOULD FAST FORWARD to the 20min mark at watch the last 6 or 7 min.. Lots of different views of the cityscape and the implosion of the Wade Hampton along with other historical photos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXNRSikeAHo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area