Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2018, 09:12 PM

306 posts, read 393,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
Columbia is unique that the "multiple retail areas" you talk about are because wealth is not as concentrated as other areas and it causes retailers to pause... but I agree, it does not matter cuz we have some stuff but lack some dumb crap like Cheesecake Factory or an apple store.

Riverfront development has been slow for a couple of reason. One, most of the land was privately owned, or formerly a prison or privately developed. If we want a better "urban trail," please feel free to donate to the River Alliance to continue developing the 10 plus miles of amazing trail they have already developed https://riveralliance.org/. Topgolf is looking, I know that first hand. Landowners here think their land is worth way too much though.

CAE should not just wait for another airline. Low-cost carriers need to be wooed and they need incentives. I worked on this in another city that did a lot to both incentivize low-cost carriers and keep the service levels of their mainline carriers. There is a whole open lower level at CAE where you could operate cheap flights with some damn stairs. Would the airport rather have $0.00 or a few bucks, create some jobs, and get some parking revenue on top of that? Most mainline carriers don't mind having frontier, spirit or Allegiant providing service to destination cities. If you talk about it the right way you can even sell it to them as getting people used to flying out of CAE, so when they need a flight somewhere else they will book a flight with them.

I can think of several places that would be great for a Topgolf. There are several good plots of land along I-26 in Irmo. Also, I-20 in between 26 and 77 would be in between both sides of town and not far from downtown. Or near Scana at I-77 and throw in the outlet mall as well.

I would absolutely love some more low cost carriers. This is definitely an area where we should throw incentives around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 10:21 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
CAE should not just wait for another airline. Low-cost carriers need to be wooed and they need incentives. I worked on this in another city that did a lot to both incentivize low-cost carriers and keep the service levels of their mainline carriers.
The thing about incentives, and I've seen this across the US in small to medium sized metroplexes where a city/county/state throws money at an airline (not even a low-cost one, many times one of the "big boys", or at least their regional branch) and once the incentives stop the airline 9.99999 times out of 10 stops those flights.

For CAE, some of its issues are not necessarily their fault, like being relatively close to Charlotte, which is a hub for one of last three remaining legacy airlines. If both the BMW and Boeing plants were located in the Columbia metroplex would there be more airlines and nonstop flights from CAE, sure, no doubt.

What many airlines do to gauge whether or not a new nonstop route is feasible and potentially economically profitable to them, they look at where everybody is going, meaning their final destination. Say X number of people per week are going to Denver from CAE on United Express, which will route them through either ORD or IAH or IAD, will getting a larger plane (more expensive but longer range) and strategically placing the days/times of the week they would fly nonstop to DEN, make sense economically.

Looking at the Eastern 1/3 of the US and where new nonstop flights from CAE could potential go: Boston, Detroit, Cincinnati, Miami, Tampa (?), Orlando (?). Is the demand there to fly to those places?

Old 08-14-2018, 09:40 AM

751 posts, read 565,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
The thing about incentives, and I've seen this across the US in small to medium sized metroplexes where a city/county/state throws money at an airline (not even a low-cost one, many times one of the "big boys", or at least their regional branch) and once the incentives stop the airline 9.99999 times out of 10 stops those flights.

For CAE, some of its issues are not necessarily their fault, like being relatively close to Charlotte, which is a hub for one of last three remaining legacy airlines. If both the BMW and Boeing plants were located in the Columbia metroplex would there be more airlines and nonstop flights from CAE, sure, no doubt.

What many airlines do to gauge whether or not a new nonstop route is feasible and potentially economically profitable to them, they look at where everybody is going, meaning their final destination. Say X number of people per week are going to Denver from CAE on United Express, which will route them through either ORD or IAH or IAD, will getting a larger plane (more expensive but longer range) and strategically placing the days/times of the week they would fly nonstop to DEN, make sense economically.

Looking at the Eastern 1/3 of the US and where new nonstop flights from CAE could potential go: Boston, Detroit, Cincinnati, Miami, Tampa (?), Orlando (?). Is the demand there to fly to those places?
Boston and Detroit might be more natural candidates since flights would likely be business-oriented, though of course Detroit as a Delta hub would overlap with ATL. The problem with Miami, Tampa, and Orlando is that they tend to be family vacation destinations and families continue to drive. Cincinnati in my mind might be a one-off, so I don't know if there's any demand there.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:58 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,843,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
Boston and Detroit might be more natural candidates since flights would likely be business-oriented, though of course Detroit as a Delta hub would overlap with ATL. The problem with Miami, Tampa, and Orlando is that they tend to be family vacation destinations and families continue to drive. Cincinnati in my mind might be a one-off, so I don't know if there's any demand there.
Columbia most the Detroit route a couple of years ago I’d agree that that’ll probably be one of the next few routes that pop up. Hopefully JetBlue can come in and bring in Boston and Fort Lauderdale. Maybe frontier will pop up with routes to Denver or Vegas.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:48 AM

744 posts, read 747,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post

I am not really thinking "service guarantee" cash incentives that are maybe 30% effective after 3 years, but other incentives. Landing fee packages that include free gates in the downstairs area of the airport, advertising, earned media, and providing customer acquisition incentives. Airports also generally hire firms to conduct leakage studies to help airlines provide more efficient service, as a sales technique.

The biggest problem facing the industry right now is the pilot shortage. Many airlines can barley operate the capacity they are at right now, and many are looking to reduce the number of flights offered. One area I think could be improved without putting additional stress on an airline, is negotiate with AA to route fewer passengers through Charlotte. Those flights are a huge waste of time for passengers and crew. I know they are bringing additional capacity of the Dallas route, but I doubt very many people route through CLT to go west.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:46 PM

1,124 posts, read 924,605 times
On Woodrow Street in Irmo, near the medical area, the brick house and surrounding land has been sold and the trees (a large area of them actually) are being cleared. Does anyone know what they might be doing there? Another medical park maybe?

Old 08-21-2018, 07:41 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,336,173 times
Columbia poised to get another brewery just west of the river, introducing Savage Craft Alewirks:
https://www.thestate.com/news/busine...217091205.html

Old 08-21-2018, 09:03 PM

421 posts, read 573,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
On Woodrow Street in Irmo, near the medical area, the brick house and surrounding land has been sold and the trees (a large area of them actually) are being cleared. Does anyone know what they might be doing there? Another medical park maybe?
Another medical park

Old 08-21-2018, 10:45 PM

1,124 posts, read 924,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsm76 View Post
Another medical park
Was that a guess? Or for sure?

Old 08-28-2018, 09:32 AM

744 posts, read 747,318 times
BlueBike bike share launching in September finally:

https://www.free-times.com/news/loca...ad60941b1.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area