Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2018, 10:06 PM

1,152 posts, read 954,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
The more I learn about this whole thing, the more I think there never really was much of a plan at all. There is still a need for a new courthouse and this will give them more options, maybe even at Bull Street?
I think building on Bull Street would be nice and definitely would kick off more development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 10:16 PM

1,152 posts, read 954,258 times
I can tell you what's halting Columbia's growth. Transportation and not just buses.

Although buses are improving and they're talks into building a park n ride commuter bus from Columbia to Newberry. We are in need of a Commuter Rail.

Rapid Transit is needed here. That's what is halting new jobs and people moving in here. You still need a car to get to most places.

Another thing is the lack of affordable housing. Rent prices is skyrocketing in the city so everyone especially Millennials (my generation) can't afford it so we're forced to move further and further away from the city and there's no transportation options besides driving your car or calling an Uber to get to work or school.

So that's another reason why a lot of people are getting frustrated and leaving Columbia for Charlotte or Atlanta. Better transit, Better jobs, Better connectivity, etc.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:34 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,956,513 times
Jobs is number 1....people follow the jobs...and USC, Insurance, Fort Jackson, and Government aren’t huge in briniging in thousands of jobs from out of state etc for relocation or to want to stay and not move to a bigger closer city.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:52 PM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
I also wonder if household size is playing a role in addition to the slow to no annexation? Most people moving in or out of Columbia are likely singles or couples. Families with kids are likely to settle in the burbs because of home sizes housing prices and schools

Old 05-26-2018, 07:36 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,327,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
I can tell you what's halting Columbia's growth. Transportation and not just buses.

Although buses are improving and they're talks into building a park n ride commuter bus from Columbia to Newberry. We are in need of a Commuter Rail.

Rapid Transit is needed here. That's what is halting new jobs and people moving in here. You still need a car to get to most places.
I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but I lived a little over 3 and a half years in Durham, NC working at Duke University Medical Center and finally they are trying to build a light rail starter line from Chapel Hill to Durham (might start construction in 2020 and open in 2028) and get some commuter rail from Raleigh to Durham. I agree with sonofaque86, that jobs are #1 in getting people to move anywhere.

I would say the Triangle is very car-centric and has had a horrible transit system, but they still went from 700,000 people in 1990 to 2.2 million in 2017. While transit options are always nice, it's really the employers that you need for growth.

Of course the Triangle "lucked out" with having UNC, NC State and Duke located there, coupled with RTP and IBM coming there back in the 80's and GlaxoSmithKline, etc. Then SAS being founded there, obviously helped with the crazy growth.

I mean look at Charlotte, they've had light rail for only 11 years now (?) and it just was expanded to a total of 19 miles, but I don't feel that their growth is due to the Lynx Blue Line, it's more to the fact, headquarters to eight Fortune 500 and seven Fortune 1000 companies are located in that area.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:07 PM

421 posts, read 573,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but I lived a little over 3 and a half years in Durham, NC working at Duke University Medical Center and finally they are trying to build a light rail starter line from Chapel Hill to Durham (might start construction in 2020 and open in 2028) and get some commuter rail from Raleigh to Durham. I agree with sonofaque86, that jobs are #1 in getting people to move anywhere.

I would say the Triangle is very car-centric and has had a horrible transit system, but they still went from 700,000 people in 1990 to 2.2 million in 2017. While transit options are always nice, it's really the employers that you need for growth.

Of course the Triangle "lucked out" with having UNC, NC State and Duke located there, coupled with RTP and IBM coming there back in the 80's and GlaxoSmithKline, etc. Then SAS being founded there, obviously helped with the crazy growth.

I mean look at Charlotte, they've had light rail for only 11 years now (?) and it just was expanded to a total of 19 miles, but I don't feel that their growth is due to the Lynx Blue Line, it's more to the fact, headquarters to eight Fortune 500 and seven Fortune 1000 companies are located in that area.
The triangle is going to explode if they get the new Apple Park

Old 05-26-2018, 09:23 PM

744 posts, read 747,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I also wonder if household size is playing a role in addition to the slow to no annexation? Most people moving in or out of Columbia are likely singles or couples. Families with kids are likely to settle in the burbs because of home sizes housing prices and schools
If this is is regards to that horribly written story headline comparing variable areas and referencing data-sets which is SC because of annexation laws, have very little meaning, please read this article to understand why even giving the writer the benefit of the doubt about his misunderstanding of population growth in urban areas of SC was still referencing fairly unreliable estimates...

https://medium.com/migration-issues/...or-a0f0a10b304

Old 05-27-2018, 12:23 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,443,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post

Another thing is the lack of affordable housing. Rent prices is skyrocketing in the city so everyone especially Millennials (my generation) can't afford it so we're forced to move further and further away from the city and there's no transportation options besides driving your car or calling an Uber to get to work or school.

So that's another reason why a lot of people are getting frustrated and leaving Columbia for Charlotte or Atlanta. Better transit, Better jobs, Better connectivity, etc.
Youve literally described what everyone complains about with every growing city in the country. It’s literally copy and paste. Austin has terrible transit and skyrocketing rents and yet that’s not stopping it at all. Raleigh too. Or Nashville. Or New York. Or Oakland. Or Orlando. Keep going.

Columbia’s slower growth is due to jobs, not transit. And besides, even if it was announced tomorrow that Columbia would get a commuter rail, it wouldnt be ready anyyytime soon. Columbia was built for cars. A commuter rail up 26 could help, but judging by others, it probably wont be the revolutionary savior you think it would be. Nashville has had comm rail since 06 and it gets a little over 1,000 riders a day. Even rapid growing Austin cant get 3,000 riders...

Also Columbia rent is not skyrocketing, people throw that around too loosely with every growing city. According to Rent Monkey, Columbia’s average rent in January was lower than it was most of 2016.

Columbia is in great position compared to most cities. Most cities have climbed above $1,000, but not Columbia. Columbia is not Denver like youre acting. Ps it is definitely not easier to get around Charlotte or Atlanta, come on now lol. People leave Columbia for Charlotte because they can get paid more, not because Charlotte has 1 light rail line...

Old 05-27-2018, 05:51 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,336,582 times
Quote:
Also Columbia rent is not skyrocketing, people throw that around too loosely with every growing city. According to Rent Monkey, Columbia’s average rent in January was lower than it was most of 2016.

Columbia is in great position compared to most cities. Most cities have climbed above $1,000, but not Columbia. Columbia is not Denver like youre acting. Ps it is definitely not easier to get around Charlotte or Atlanta, come on now lol. People leave Columbia for Charlotte because they can get paid more, not because Charlotte has 1 light rail line...
Thank u, so so true. Rent has been relatively stagnant in Columbia.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:28 AM

751 posts, read 565,992 times
Some of you may already have seen this, but I completely missed the Gerald Seals drama in the Richland Renaissance story. The county spent $1M on a settlement?!

https://columbiabusinessreport.com/n...ernment/74527/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area