Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2018, 09:02 AM

1,180 posts, read 985,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Live PD has been an eye opening experience for me in term of the types of crimes that happen in our area on a weekend basis.. I wonder if they will get a city larger than the likes of El Paso, TX, Lake County, Illinois and Columbia/Richland to appear on the show? Likely not...
It is such a bad look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 09:08 AM

757 posts, read 569,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Scientist View Post
It is such a bad look.
I don't understand why Richland agreed to the show in the first place. I'm sure there's some financial incentive, but it's terrible PR for Columbia.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:57 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,571,107 times
Columbia is a haven for Millennials.

Columbia SC nets 2nd most millennials in 2017, study says | The State

Old 06-08-2018, 11:48 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,338,710 times
Default Re millennial thing

Did anybody fact check those census numbers. USC enrollment doesn’t account for that much of it
So it would be have been interesting for the state to opine on the why instead of just rehashing
the smartasset.com story

Old 06-08-2018, 12:24 PM

1,180 posts, read 985,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofCola View Post
Did anybody fact check those census numbers. USC enrollment doesn’t account for that much of it
So it would be have been interesting for the state to opine on the why instead of just rehashing
the smartasset.com story
I almost did but these type of lists don't amount to much of anything.

Old 06-09-2018, 05:51 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,266,425 times
I have a neighbor that makes his living studying demographics and selling his recommendations to major chains. When I have asked him these type questions about Columbia he says that "numbers only" studies are useless in a market like we live in. With USC and Fort Jackson bringing in so many young people that have no intention of staying you have to strip them out to find true trends. He refers to those groups as TNT....temporary and transient.

I know it might start a flame war on here but according to him when you do take out the numbers for USC and Fort Jackson the City of Columbia is aging fast and losing young adults to other markets. We just don't have enough desirable jobs to keep them here.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:45 AM

12,927 posts, read 18,778,463 times
I thought about USC students right away, but I didn’t think about FJ.

Old 06-10-2018, 02:09 PM

757 posts, read 569,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
I have a neighbor that makes his living studying demographics and selling his recommendations to major chains. When I have asked him these type questions about Columbia he says that "numbers only" studies are useless in a market like we live in. With USC and Fort Jackson bringing in so many young people that have no intention of staying you have to strip them out to find true trends. He refers to those groups as TNT....temporary and transient.

I know it might start a flame war on here but according to him when you do take out the numbers for USC and Fort Jackson the City of Columbia is aging fast and losing young adults to other markets. We just don't have enough desirable jobs to keep them here.
Doesn't surprise me at all. Columbia still isn't a city that most people choose to live in and that's mainly due to a dearth of great jobs. It's frustrating, but I don't know exactly how that's going to change.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:47 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
Doesn't surprise me at all. Columbia still isn't a city that most people choose to live in and that's mainly due to a dearth of great jobs. It's frustrating, but I don't know exactly how that's going to change.
It's just a shame that the types of jobs that could help Columbia retain and attract young educated professionals typically land in the Charlotte suburbs, and that's only because of proximity to Charlotte itself and lower taxes. Manufacturing companies and such no doubt have their place, but that's where the state's efforts are largely focused when it comes to economic development and Columbia would definitely need the state's help in going after higher-paying knowledge-based jobs. And frankly, having Charlotte, Atlanta, and the Triangle in relatively close proximity is an issue also.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:19 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,571,107 times
These are net numbers, not gross. The number of trainees at Ft. Jackson hasn't increased, so that isn't a contributing factor. The number of students at USC has increased, but not by that much. Why not just accept good news?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area