Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2017, 05:21 PM

1,152 posts, read 954,258 times

Advertisements

Aye i like this. No need to bring your own bike: Bike share program coming soon to Columbia

Bike share program coming soon to Columbia | The State
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 06:33 AM

8,227 posts, read 13,342,429 times
Come on soda cap city . You come downtown at 5pm to eat and drink with a friend and spend $50 bucks but don't want to spend 25 to 50 cents to park for an additional hour ? Really ? Then complain that there isn't enough parking downtown even if it's free in a parking garage (not sure if it is after 5). wow. I'm not sure what the "practice " is or was but if it's posted as "until 6pm" just pay it and relax and drink your corona at the cantina rather than hustle back to your car to see if there a ticket .There is a quarter under your seat somewhere

Could Downtown Parking Meters Actually Be Enforced Until 6 p.m.? | Local & State News | free-times.com

Old 05-04-2017, 10:15 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,443,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Aye i like this. No need to bring your own bike: Bike share program coming soon to Columbia

Bike share program coming soon to Columbia | The State
This could really take off.

Odd location.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:01 AM

68 posts, read 65,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Odd location.
Seems like a typical outlet mall location to me... right next to two interstates with good visibility and easy access to travelers, yet close enough proximity to downtown. The infrastructure is definitely there and they've already built one hotel and a nice apartment complex at Otarre Point. Doesn't seem too odd to me.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:56 AM

8,227 posts, read 13,342,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayinJG View Post
Seems like a typical outlet mall location to me... right next to two interstates with good visibility and easy access to travelers, yet close enough proximity to downtown. The infrastructure is definitely there and they've already built one hotel and a nice apartment complex at Otarre Point. Doesn't seem too odd to me.

As an old school Columbian.. I would have thought this to be an odd location as well since there was NOTHING on this side of town nor could you even get to this side of town before 77 was built and 12th Streets..Now with 77 being extended from its junction at I20 now to I26 it now captures most of the Charlotte to Charleston Traffic that used to go via I-20 to I-26 so I imagine it can pull quite a few tourists. I also see that it looks like 12th Street is being extended to eventually connect with I-26 down around exit 119 That will open up this entire stretch both north and south to more (likely more industrial) development but likely a few motels/restaurants as well that would service these industries (workers, drivers, suppliers, distributors) along with the motoring public. Amazon is already down there....

Old 05-05-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
You can see that from I-26? I don't know, when I drive by that interchange I see the Columbia skyline in the background, but in the foreground just a bunch of undeveloped land.

Not sure how that's a typical location. The outlet malls I've seen have all had more established commercial development around them. I think somewhere a little closer to the city would be a better bet. Or maybe in Orangeburg, around exit 145 or so. Oburg could certainly use a boost, not far for locals, and could easily capture some of that headed to Florida traffic.

Not saying that location wont work, if I was the developer I'd just want my mall in an area a little more already built up. Who knows, if it does actually happen, maybe it'll start a little spark for that side of town.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:41 AM

68 posts, read 65,091 times
Quote:
You can see that from I-26? I don't know, when I drive by that interchange I see the Columbia skyline in the background, but in the foreground just a bunch of undeveloped land.

Not sure how that's a typical location. The outlet malls I've seen have all had more established commercial development around them. I think somewhere a little closer to the city would be a better bet. Or maybe in Orangeburg, around exit 145 or so. Oburg could certainly use a boost, not far for locals, and could easily capture some of that headed to Florida traffic.

Not saying that location wont work, if I was the developer I'd just want my mall in an area a little more already built up. Who knows, if it does actually happen, maybe it'll start a little spark for that side of town.
I never said you could see it from I-26. I said it's right next to two interstates with good visibility and easy access to travelers, which it is. It's only one exit off of 26, and is located directly on I-77 where it can be seen quite clearly.

I'm not an expert, but we've clearly been around different outlet malls. The ones I'm familiar with have all been built in easily accessible, high traffic areas with open space for development and commercial development has then followed as more businesses, retail, and restaurants have built up around the outlet mall, not vice versa. I can't think of a single outlet mall that was built in the middle of an already established commercial district. I mean if there is already an established commercial district, where is there room for a brand new large outlet mall? Granted I'm sure they exist, maybe in some larger cities I've never been to, but that doesn't seem to be the norm from my experience. Outlet malls I've seen have all tended to be by the interstate on the outskirts of town, not in the heart of the city. Again, I am no expert so maybe I'm just missing something.

Where would you propose it be located that is closer to the city? We are only talking about a little over 6 miles from downtown. Would you move it up I-26 towards West Columbia? Even if you could find room for an outlet mall in those already developed areas, you'd now miss out on a large chunk of the travelers going south from Charlotte and lose your direct access for Fort Jackson. I suppose you could move it one or two exits up I-77 to Bluff Rd, Shop Rd, or if you can find enough room perhaps even to Garners Ferry, but then you are putting yourself further away from I-26, and are only marginally closer to downtown.

Just seems to me that the current proposed location makes a ton of sense for an outlet mall even if there is minimal existing development at that site. It's not like the cities of Cayce and Columbia haven't been trying to spur development in that area for years. What better way to do so than attracting an outlet mall?

One thing we can both agree on is that Orangeburg would be an excellent location for an outlet mall. But based on the marketing from these particular developers, it looks like they are banking on capturing business from USC and Fort Jackson in addition to the interstate traffic on I-77 & I-26.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:58 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:

An exception to the typical location of outlet malls would be the new one in Charlotte, off I-485 in a relatively undeveloped part of town. However, it's not too far from the airport and development is really ramping up over there.

Certainly Orangeburg could use the boost that an outlet mall would provide; certainly the summer months would see the most activity with all the Charleston traffic. The closest it's ever had are the Santee outlets off I-95 near Lake Marion which have been closed for several years now.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I never said you could see it from I-26. I said it's right next to two interstates with good visibility and easy access to travelers, which it is. It's only one exit off of 26, and is located directly on I-77 where it can be seen quite clearly. [......]
I don't know honestly. No I don't mean literally in Columbia. You're right, you'd probably have to sacrifice 77 or 26 traffic, but it depends on who you're mainly trying to attract: locals or passer by's headed to and from the beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
An exception to the typical location of outlet malls would be the new one in Charlotte, off I-485 in a relatively undeveloped part of town. However, it's not too far from the airport and development is really ramping up over there.
There's still a good bit of residential development over there, and they have a much larger population they can service.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:01 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
There's still a good bit of residential development over there, and they have a much larger population they can service.
The residential development pretty much sprung up due to the presence of the outlet mall; most of that wasn't there before. Sure there's a larger population to service but I was commenting on the location. The proposed location of the Columbia outlets would be much more centrally located than the one in Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area