Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 04:05 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,571,107 times

Advertisements

The way to keep people is to have high paying jobs. Period. I have a number of employees that are young (20's and 30's) USC grads from elsewhere and they stayed in Columbia after graduation, so obviously those who can find good jobs, stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 04:11 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,330,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
The way to keep people is to have high paying jobs. Period. I have a number of employees that are young (20's and 30's) USC grads from elsewhere and they stayed in Columbia after graduation, so obviously those who can find good jobs, stay.
Agree Wacc. Jobs make a difference.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:27 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
In SC, Charleston is the easiest city to sell primarily due to the beach. Columbia has the hard sell of keeping students who have formed an impression that Columbia was their college town but wants to graduate to a larger city. It is not a bad thing, it is just that you don't always want to start a career in the town where you studied....there are exceptions like NYU, Emory etc but they are small exceptions.
Absolutely, and the only similarly-sized city I can think of that's an exception to this rule is Madison, WI which is also the capital of its state and home to its state's flagship university. Like Charleston, it also has the benefit of geography with a scenic location on an isthmus and beaches along its lakes. But it must be performing very well in the jobs department because as waccamatt said, that's the number one factor.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:30 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,614,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
This is true.........in most cases, folks will move as life events dictate. However, there are a few cities that are magnets for the younger crowd. Many of the people hired in our offices out of college move to Charlotte and then look for a job. You see this in a few cities.

I actually think Columbia is a great city for the 25-40 crowd. Currently, that demo makes up over 21% of Columbia's population

Old 03-31-2015, 06:33 PM

12,927 posts, read 18,778,463 times
In the long term it won't be about where millennials are moving now, but about where they'll move after they get a little older. That's a huge group.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:50 PM

306 posts, read 393,844 times
I for one know many people my age (22-25) that have moved away from Columbia and when they come back remark at how much it has changed for the better. I moved away to the upstate for college for 4 years and came back to what felt like a new hometown. I now spend most of my free time downtown around main street and in the vista. Better transit downtown and more housing for young professionals would make Columbia the perfect place for me to live. I know those points have already been made, but those two things would be the main things I would want to see.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:26 PM

Columbia could be called "Movebacktoitville."

Old 03-31-2015, 08:31 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,033,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woffgrad13 View Post
I for one know many people my age (22-25) that have moved away from Columbia and when they come back remark at how much it has changed for the better. I moved away to the upstate for college for 4 years and came back to what felt like a new hometown. I now spend most of my free time downtown around main street and in the vista. Better transit downtown and more housing for young professionals would make Columbia the perfect place for me to live. I know those points have already been made, but those two things would be the main things I would want to see.
I am cautiously optimistic that the transit penny tax will do a lot for bus service downtown. I agree, this would really take Columbia to the next level in terms of urbanism and quality of life.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:50 AM

ColaClemsonFan11, if you were into the arts you could move back to Columbia and get involved in this effort being undertaken by eight young professional groups in Richland and Lexington counties, downtown.

Art and Volunteerism Combine for 2nd Annual Young Professional Event

Old 04-01-2015, 08:19 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,947,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
ColaClemsonFan11, if you were into the arts you could move back to Columbia and get involved in this effort being undertaken by eight young professional groups in Richland and Lexington counties, downtown.

Art and Volunteerism Combine for 2nd Annual Young Professional Event
That does sound like a great event, I was big into the young professional groups when I was there and did enjoy it and actually did work with the arts in some capacity but it just wasn't my main interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area