Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2015, 12:07 PM

12,927 posts, read 18,778,463 times

Advertisements

I take it that they count army recruits as millennials who move here. Retaining them isn't part of the effort I wouldn't think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 12:33 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I take it that they count army recruits as millennials who move here. Retaining them isn't part of the effort I wouldn't think.
I wouldn't think so seeing as though they aren't permanently stationed there.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:21 PM

The italicized words below from the article I linked to is where I got the notion. I guess if someone packs up their belongings and rides a bus or flies into a city or drives themselves here or has their parents bring them, they are considered to have moved there for the intents and purposes of this article according to the statistics the writer researched.

"(It’s worth pointing out that military bases as well as college and universities also have an impact where young people move, as can be seen in the large share of 25- to 29-year-old migrants in metros like Ogden-Clearfield, Utah and Honolulu, which both have major military installations.)"

Old 03-29-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
The italicized words below from the article I linked to is where I got the notion. I guess if someone packs up their belongings and rides a bus or flies into a city or drives themselves here or has their parents bring them, they are considered to have moved there for the intents and purposes of this article according to the statistics the writer researched.

"(It’s worth pointing out that military bases as well as college and universities also have an impact where young people move, as can be seen in the large share of 25- to 29-year-old migrants in metros like Ogden-Clearfield, Utah and Honolulu, which both have major military installations.)"
Right, but those are installations where soldiers are likely to be based for some time. Fort Jackson is an initial entry training base and recruits are only there for a few months. I'm more than certain that USC is what primarily accounts for Columbia's strong showing in this study as opposed to Fort Jackson.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:54 PM

I know that USC and Columbia's other institutions of higher learning account for most of it. I don't know that Fort Jackson's arrivals don't count at all. It's a minor point in the big picture.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:57 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,947,856 times
Columbia's issue with retaining talent following college graduation is that it is very much a transient city, and I dont mean that in a bad way, but alot of the reasons people come here are for something that will not keep them here.

Fort Jackson is a training base, USC keeps someone here for college, even the government looking at all of the political strategists, campaigns, etc, they are all things that are not more permanent, and not to mention, Columbia also has a large amount of sales jobs, which have high turnover whether you build your way up or go to another company.

IMO Columbia is lacking largely in catering to the 25-29 & 30-34 portion of that study and its not that they arent readily available, its that Columbia does not cater to them IMO and instead caters more to the college kids at USC and no one who has graduated wants to be around a bunch of college kids that can still do all the fun stuff they no longer can!

Old 03-30-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
Columbia's issue with retaining talent following college graduation is that it is very much a transient city, and I dont mean that in a bad way, but alot of the reasons people come here are for something that will not keep them here.

Fort Jackson is a training base, USC keeps someone here for college, even the government looking at all of the political strategists, campaigns, etc, they are all things that are not more permanent, and not to mention, Columbia also has a large amount of sales jobs, which have high turnover whether you build your way up or go to another company.

IMO Columbia is lacking largely in catering to the 25-29 & 30-34 portion of that study and its not that they arent readily available, its that Columbia does not cater to them IMO and instead caters more to the college kids at USC and no one who has graduated wants to be around a bunch of college kids that can still do all the fun stuff they no longer can!
The focus has shifted recently via area leaders' participation in seminars sponsored by the Urban Land Institute and other initiatives. Several apartment projects have specifically said they will not be marketing them to college students. We're just getting started with efforts to give graduating college students more reasons to stay here, including a focus on helping budding entrepreneurs. It is a challenge, but the effort is taking off.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post

I actually think this is more of a statewide issue than a Columbia-specific issue and it's mainly due to the lack of knowledge-based, professional jobs compared to those in nearby states. It's just too easy for someone who's graduated from Carolina, Clemson, Francis Marion, CofC, Winthrop, etc. to hop on the interstate and move a relatively short distance away to Charlotte, Atlanta, or Raleigh.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:30 AM

Here's an example of the kind of living space opportunity young professionals will soon see more of.

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC

That, coupled with continued and boosted efforts by organizations such as IT-ology and the USC Small Business Incubator to nurture the type of live-work environment millennials seek, are steps toward changing the climate in the capital city. It is a challenge, but it is doable, and just throwing up hands and taking for granted that freshly-minted college graduates will be leaving is no longer part of the city's character.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:35 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,947,856 times
Quote:
Here's an example of the kind of living space opportunity young professionals will soon see more of.

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC

That, coupled with continued and boosted efforts by organizations such as IT-ology and the USC Small Business Incubator to nurture the type of live-work environment millennials seek, are steps toward changing the climate in the capital city. It is a challenge, but it is doable, and just throwing up hands and taking for granted that freshly-minted college graduates will be leaving is no longer part of the city's character.
Thats so great to see! I left Columbia about a year ago (mainly for the reasons I stated earlier) and they were getting started with trying to do some of that. I was a huge proponent and loved to see retention of college grads and just as important if not more, recruitment of college grads from all over.

Glad to see things like this coming to Columbia...wish they had come sooner so I would have been there, but glad to see it getting going!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area