Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2020, 12:59 PM

333 posts, read 214,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
That corner can do better anyways
I welcome anything better than what is there now, especially with Bullstreet Commons right across the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2020, 02:10 PM

518 posts, read 435,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
I welcome anything better than what is there now, especially with Bullstreet Commons right across the street.
It is a crap hole right now. Anything would be better. I like the No Name Deli, but nothing else there is good. Seems just an area for the homeless to loiter.

Old 09-09-2020, 02:34 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
The goal should be for quality development for complimentary uses that meet a predetermined standard given its close proximity to Columbia Common. Although there will be additional costs associated with soil remediation since a gas station is located there, the city should work with a developer who is committed to a higher use of that property that will ultimately generate more tax revenue.

Old 09-10-2020, 11:11 AM

744 posts, read 747,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The goal should be for quality development for complimentary uses that meet a predetermined standard given its close proximity to Columbia Common. Although there will be additional costs associated with soil remediation since a gas station is located there, the city should work with a developer who is committed to a higher use of that property that will ultimately generate more tax revenue.
I agree. Also, the proposed gas station was not going to replace the on currently on the corner. Here is the application that was denied - https://www.columbiasc.net/depts/pla...lmwoodBull.pdf

Old 09-10-2020, 07:47 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
I agree. Also, the proposed gas station was not going to replace the on currently on the corner. Here is the application that was denied - https://www.columbiasc.net/depts/pla...lmwoodBull.pdf
Gotcha. That's even more of a reason for the city to not just accept "anything better" that's currently there. I'm glad that the city is breaking out of that mindset and I hope news coverage about the zoning appeal rejection piques the interests of developers willing to build a quality project on the site that sets a standard for future development in that area.

Old 09-10-2020, 10:34 PM

744 posts, read 747,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Gotcha. That's even more of a reason for the city to not just accept "anything better" that's currently there. I'm glad that the city is breaking out of that mindset and I hope news coverage about the zoning appeal rejection piques the interests of developers willing to build a quality project on the site that sets a standard for future development in that area.
Yeah, and this is the zoning appeals board too! That's a lot of progress. The thing is, Columbia's "downtown area is 3 square miles (Elmwood to Blossom and the River to Harden) ... almost three times as large as Uptown Charlotte, Historic Savannah, and larger than the Charleston Peninsula, and larger than Midtown Manhattan. There is just a lot of space, but we need to have high standards to keep it going.

Old 09-11-2020, 07:30 AM

333 posts, read 214,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
Yeah, and this is the zoning appeals board too! That's a lot of progress. The thing is, Columbia's "downtown area is 3 square miles (Elmwood to Blossom and the River to Harden) ... almost three times as large as Uptown Charlotte, Historic Savannah, and larger than the Charleston Peninsula, and larger than Midtown Manhattan. There is just a lot of space, but we need to have high standards to keep it going.
Yeah but when you factor in USC and the historic districts etc., most development would only take place from Elmwood to Gervais and Huger to Bull. Also the plot of land at Elmwood and Main seems (to me) to be more important to bringing more development down Main street and tying those three districts together. North Main, Bullstreet Commons, and Main Street could all benefit from a large apartment complex being there and some kind of large development at the old Jim Moor dealership. That would create foot traffic going all ways.

I do agree that the corner of Elmwood and Bullstreet could do a lot better. I suggested an urban target with 2-3 levels of apartments on top there before but as discussed before, the soil quality could drive away potential bidders. My other suggested location for target was at the corner of Sumter and Blanding next to the current bus station.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:03 AM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Quote:
Yeah but when you factor in USC and the historic districts etc., most development would only take place from Elmwood to Gervais and Huger to Bull. Also the plot of land at Elmwood and Main seems (to me) to be more important to bringing more development down Main street and tying those three districts together. North Main, Bullstreet Commons, and Main Street could all benefit from a large apartment complex being there and some kind of large development at the old Jim Moor dealership. That would create foot traffic going all ways.

I do agree that the corner of Elmwood and Bullstreet could do a lot better. I suggested an urban target with 2-3 levels of apartments on top there before but as discussed before, the soil quality could drive away potential bidders. My other suggested location for target was at the corner of Sumter and Blanding next to the current bus station.
Totally Agree... alot could (should) happen in that corridor.. it also is the nexus between NoMa and downtown not to mention a gateway to the City.

Old 09-14-2020, 06:54 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,327,185 times
The new 2-lane northbound SC-277 bridge over I-77 is now open, and they did a great job!

They have already begun removing the old roadway and starting on getting rid of the old bridge. I would assume that might take a few months and everything should be gone by the end of the year.

Old 09-14-2020, 09:25 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,844,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
The new 2-lane northbound SC-277 bridge over I-77 is now open, and they did a great job!

They have already begun removing the old roadway and starting on getting rid of the old bridge. I would assume that might take a few months and everything should be gone by the end of the year.
I think that’s quickest road project of that size I’ve ever seen SCDOT do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area