Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2021, 09:48 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,843,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Fingers crossed. How many years has it been now? Haha
5-6 years lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2021, 11:34 AM

333 posts, read 214,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
5-6 years lol.
Actually going on 8 now. It was first reported back in 2013!!!

Old 01-14-2021, 02:55 PM

273 posts, read 245,869 times
THEY PASSED IT!!!!! WOOOOO HOOOOO We will now have the tallest building under construction in SC!

Old 01-14-2021, 03:49 PM

1,124 posts, read 924,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbiaJAK View Post
THEY PASSED IT!!!!! WOOOOO HOOOOO We will now have the tallest building under construction in SC!
The question now is what will the final product look like? Waiting for the agreed upon designs new renderings. Now we’re just waiting on the Anthem and the student development on Gervais, though I know that one admittedly will take longer because of the courts.

Old 01-14-2021, 08:50 PM

1,151 posts, read 953,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbiaJAK View Post
Woohoo I'm happy. Can't wait to see it. Let's hope the city can finally get a huge seller for the empty lot across the street from the library.

I still hold out that they make that into a Shopping/entertainment center like Epicentre in Charlotte. That lot needs to be filled

Old 01-15-2021, 05:40 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,955,432 times
The epicenter in Charlotte is now empty.....the new owners are going to fill it with offices. It was declining all last decade. All of the entrainment is now in the NC Music Factory and has shifted to the SouthEnd

Old 01-15-2021, 07:48 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsm76 View Post
Do you remember an old barber shop in the old manifest shopping center? Went there a few times. Late 80’s or early 90’s
not specifically... I spent most of my time in that area as a kid and a teen.. I remember the old Dutch Square with the Barrel of Fun Video Arcade which was just outside of JB White Department Store... Cromers had a store there as well with a glass case at the top of the back wall where you could watch a group of monkeys run back and forth and play why you bought your popcorn (not sure where PETA was back then) Dutch Square also had Columbia's only Chick fila where I first got hooked on their nuggets. Across the street there was Sam Solomon Dept Store that eventually became Brendle's . Again, that entire areas was a thriving shopping district perfectly positioned to I-20 and I-26. I guess Harbison Blvd killed it just like Clemson Road/Upper Two Notch killed Dentsville and Columbia Mall.

Old 01-15-2021, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
The epicenter in Charlotte is now empty.....the new owners are going to fill it with offices. It was declining all last decade. All of the entrainment is now in the NC Music Factory and has shifted to the SouthEnd
WoW... Are you serious???! I havent been down there in years but the last time I was there it was thriving with Restaurants and Shops.. That is truly unfortunate. What do you think caused it to decline like that? It was somewhat awkward in how it was laid out from the outside.. but seemed viable once you get on the inside...... SMH

Old 01-15-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Woohoo I'm happy. Can't wait to see it. Let's hope the city can finally get a huge seller for the empty lot across the street from the library.

I still hold out that they make that into a Shopping/entertainment center like Epicentre in Charlotte. That lot needs to be filled
That site and the old post office and the lot on Gervais and Assembly are likely the most important development opportunities in the downtown area.. The city I believes owns/contract on the Post Office site.. so hopefully that may push it to be next along with the County Court House if they are able to move it to either Hampton Street or Columbia Place.

Old 01-15-2021, 10:16 AM

751 posts, read 565,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
That site and the old post office and the lot on Gervais and Assembly are likely the most important development opportunities in the downtown area.. The city I believes owns/contract on the Post Office site.. so hopefully that may push it to be next along with the County Court House if they are able to move it to either Hampton Street or Columbia Place.
The time horizon on the post office is pretty long as the contract goes on for a few decades (from memory), but I think the plan was to use the base of it for something related to the park?

While I agree with your other assessments on lots, the craziest thing to me is the amount of empty or very underdeveloped space there is nearby. First Citizens (I think) was selling non-contiguous plots in the Vista and Downtown and we talked alot about the towers atop the garages and yet there are much lower structures within a stone's throw of each. There's so much opportunity for infill!

I'm not saying Columbia should choose one approach over another (major redevelopment vs. increased density), but I do think there's plenty of room for slightly less grandiose projects that are better than what's currently on these sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area