Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2017, 05:15 PM

751 posts, read 565,608 times

Advertisements

This would be a great addition! Green's has had a monopoly for far too long.

Liquor Store Could Be Coming to Main Street's Arcade Mall | Local & State News | free-times.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 12:32 PM

611 posts, read 920,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Nest closed? Or did they move?
They closed. They had some interesting inventory, sorry they didn't make it.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
This would be a great addition! Green's has had a monopoly for far too long.

Liquor Store Could Be Coming to Main Street's Arcade Mall | Local & State News | free-times.com
Well this was short-lived. I'm glad he still wants to build a liquor store downtown though.

There Won

Old 06-28-2017, 09:20 AM

Designs on a City: Columbia Searches for Its Own Visual Identity | Cover Stories | free-times.com

The vote for the new logo has been discussed before, but I find the question presented in the article interesting: what is Columbia's aesthetic? Places like Austin (Keep Austin Weird, lonestar) and New Orleans (purple and gold, flour-de-lis) have obvious natural branding, while Columbia has struggled with its identity for a long time.

There are so many possible directions: the Palmetto, the rivers, brick (Horseshoe, the Vista), the skyline, USC, the State House, etc. The block C is reminiscent of USC's block C, though I think the shape itself is not distinctive enough. As much as I love Soda City, most people won't naturally make the Columbia > Cola > Coca Cola > Soda City connection without a detailed explanation.

I think Greenville also struggles with its identity, albeit to a lesser degree. Charleston obviously doesn't have any issues with national exposure/branding. What do y'all think is the best approach?

Old 06-28-2017, 02:44 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Designs on a City: Columbia Searches for Its Own Visual Identity | Cover Stories | free-times.com

The vote for the new logo has been discussed before, but I find the question presented in the article interesting: what is Columbia's aesthetic? Places like Austin (Keep Austin Weird, lonestar) and New Orleans (purple and gold, flour-de-lis) have obvious natural branding, while Columbia has struggled with its identity for a long time.

There are so many possible directions: the Palmetto, the rivers, brick (Horseshoe, the Vista), the skyline, USC, the State House, etc. The block C is reminiscent of USC's block C, though I think the shape itself is not distinctive enough. As much as I love Soda City, most people won't naturally make the Columbia > Cola > Coca Cola > Soda City connection without a detailed explanation.

I think Greenville also struggles with its identity, albeit to a lesser degree. Charleston obviously doesn't have any issues with national exposure/branding. What do y'all think is the best approach?
To me.. simple is better.. Somebody in Columbia.. coined the phrase 'Soda City' and had the words Columbia on one of those jagged edge soda caps...To me that was simple cool and unique because Cola is the abbreviation for the City and Columbia is also a Capital City hence the word Cap. Very industrial looking metal soda cap could be woven into a variety of public art and logos especially in the quasi industrial vista. The play on the City being Hot with Soda being cool could set the foundation for a slogan and what not... As far as the flag goes.. The State of SC probably has one of the most popular and easily recognizable State Flags.. I see it everywhere OUTSIDE of SC. Who cares about a City Flag?? The only Cities that have well known Flags are Washington DC and Chicago

Washington DC

Chicago

Old 06-28-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
To me.. simple is better.. Somebody in Columbia.. coined the phrase 'Soda City' and had the words Columbia on one of those jagged edge soda caps...To me that was simple cool and unique because Cola is the abbreviation for the City and Columbia is also a Capital City hence the word Cap. Very industrial looking metal soda cap could be woven into a variety of public art and logos especially in the quasi industrial vista. The play on the City being Hot with Soda being cool could set the foundation for a slogan and what not... As far as the flag goes.. The State of SC probably has one of the most popular and easily recognizable State Flags.. I see it everywhere OUTSIDE of SC. Who cares about a City Flag?? The only Cities that have well known Flags are Washington DC and Chicago

Washington DC

Chicago
I agree, I think they're trying to overboard. One recognizable element is all you need and they can weave it into things organically, as you suggested. I actually like the soda cap idea!

Old 06-29-2017, 05:10 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Soda City has never done it for me. Columbia, a capital idea.....is cool.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:26 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:

I think identity/branding can be overrated. Unless there's something geographic, historical, or cultural that stands out about your city, don't force it...and even then, there are cities that have some of those stand-out elements that don't necessarily have a strong identity/brand. Places like Richmond, Cincinnati, Minneapolis, etc. come to mind.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:06 PM

1,151 posts, read 953,596 times
Ok since we were talking about road diets and stuff say for example we shrink Huger Assembly Taylor and Hampton from 6 Lanes to 4 Lanes obviously it's gonna create a traffic headache and people will use other roads. Now if we do something like that then can Columbia look into building more one ways streets to relieve traffic. Especially on roads that are only 2 Lanes that gets congested or roads like Hampton and Taylor from Park Street to Harden that are usually used one way also.

Imo i think Taylor and Hampton needs to be 1 way 3 Lanes from Park to Harden which would move more traffic along through there without the backups we see every morning or afternoon.

From Park to Huger it should be only 3 Lanes one way with parking and bike Lanes.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:30 PM

421 posts, read 573,597 times
LivePD was doing quite a bit of filming in Ballentine (pelicans, new library) yesterday, to bad Richland doesn't care about that side of town to much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area