Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2017, 03:56 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Ok since we were talking about road diets and stuff say for example we shrink Huger Assembly Taylor and Hampton from 6 Lanes to 4 Lanes obviously it's gonna create a traffic headache and people will use other roads. Now if we do something like that then can Columbia look into building more one ways streets to relieve traffic. Especially on roads that are only 2 Lanes that gets congested or roads like Hampton and Taylor from Park Street to Harden that are usually used one way also.

Imo i think Taylor and Hampton needs to be 1 way 3 Lanes from Park to Harden which would move more traffic along through there without the backups we see every morning or afternoon.

From Park to Huger it should be only 3 Lanes one way with parking and bike Lanes.
No one way streets, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 05:26 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
One-way streets do come in handy when you're driving and the beauty of the streetscape is captivating and you don't have to worry about causing a head-on collision.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:59 PM

1,151 posts, read 953,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
One-way streets do come in handy when you're driving and the beauty of the streetscape is captivating and you don't have to worry about causing a head-on collision.
Yeah and If this happens I hope it would be done.

Right now if you ride down Taylor and Hampton

Taylor is mostly used one way not to mention it needs an upgrade bad.

Hampton is too tight 4 Lanes and again most everyone goes 1 way.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:57 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,843,886 times
Columbia starting Soda Cap Connector bus service in September | The State

I think is news we've all been waiting for...free bus rides connecting major downtown nodes, frequently, begin running September 1st.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:32 AM

751 posts, read 565,608 times
The $300,000 Bright-Meyers owes seems like great restitution until you realize that the city has probably spent far more tha that on maintenance. What a waste of six years.

City Officials: Kroger No Longer Planned for Capital City Stadium Site | Local & State News | free-times.com

Old 07-12-2017, 10:13 AM

1,151 posts, read 953,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
The $300,000 Bright-Meyers owes seems like great restitution until you realize that the city has probably spent far more tha that on maintenance. What a waste of six years.

City Officials: Kroger No Longer Planned for Capital City Stadium Site | Local & State News | free-times.com
Nnoooo i was hoping for that project down there. I hope something else wants to develop there soon. That part of of Columbia is ready for development. I want to see Downtown connect to the Stadium area with Apartments shops mixed use etc

Old 07-12-2017, 11:29 AM

751 posts, read 565,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Nnoooo i was hoping for that project down there. I hope something else wants to develop there soon. That part of of Columbia is ready for development. I want to see Downtown connect to the Stadium area with Apartments shops mixed use etc
That section of Assembly will get some redevelopment if the CHE allows USC to purchase the SCANA land. At this point, it looks like the state is holding the contract hostage over out-of-state tuition discounts.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:35 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think identity/branding can be overrated. Unless there's something geographic, historical, or cultural that stands out about your city, don't force it...and even then, there are cities that have some of those stand-out elements that don't necessarily have a strong identity/brand. Places like Richmond, Cincinnati, Minneapolis, etc. come to mind.
Maybe that should use this flag as a template.. Place the word "Columbia" over top of a Palmetto Tree and in some two tone color palate. Its beautiful in its simplicity.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:38 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
That section of Assembly will get some redevelopment if the CHE allows USC to purchase the SCANA land. At this point, it looks like the state is holding the contract hostage over out-of-state tuition discounts.
What I don't get is.. if USC stopped giving the discounts wouldn't that slow down enrollment? Or is the issue that it is taking seats away from state residents somehow..??? the State seems to be playing hardball with USC all of a sudden.. The majority of the Legislature must be Clemson and Coastal Grads....

Old 07-12-2017, 04:09 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
The State barely supports public universities so I don't know what they're squawking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area