Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2016, 05:25 PM

678 posts, read 799,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic1 View Post
I don't know why you would except Charleston in your commentary... the same data source you cited..reported 6600 permits in Charleston , 5800 permits in Greenville .. and 4600 permits in columbia ... seems to me ... theres no fear of building in any of our metro's ... but especially not in Charleston.
Good point. I didn't drill down into the data so I was merely guessing.

I suppose the error of my ways in a quick guess without drilling down would be to assume that all of metro charleston is like the peninsula (which is relatively hard to build in compared to the rest of the state), which obviously isn't true. I guess when I think of charleston, I think of the peninsula. But again there's Summerville and all these other places that go into the metro. I wonder how many of those 6,600 are on the peninsula. To sort of play devil's advocate and defend myself slightly, we should also consider that charleston has been growing very rapidly (much more rapidly than columbia) so you would in theory expect there to be more building permits, even assuming they may be tougher to get. Perhaps charleston would have had even more than columbia had they had our "standards." I could be wrong but just saying we should consider Charleson's growth.

edited to add: So I looked into it and assuming the data at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_Areas is right, we have the following calculations:

2015 estimate |2010 estimate |Gain |2015 Building permits| 2015 Permits per 100 people gained |% Greater
cola 810,068 | 767,598 |42,470 |4,600 | 10.83| 31%
char 744,526 | 664,607 |79,919 |6,600 | 8.26 |

Columbia produced 31% more permits in 2015 per 100 people gained 2015-2010 than charleston.

Last edited by Bouje2; 05-13-2016 at 06:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 06:35 PM

12,881 posts, read 18,736,837 times
The Charleston city limits are all over the map off the peninsula. But even on the peninsula, houses are going up, and on the upper peninsula part of the city, there's all kinds of room for lots more housing units, including multi-family. It's bonkers here.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
The Charleston city limits are all over the map off the peninsula. But even on the peninsula, houses are going up, and on the upper peninsula part of the city, there's all kinds of room for lots more housing units, including multi-family. It's bonkers here.
I meant to refer to the metros in my final sentence above, not the cities. Again, Charleston metro is certainly booming bigger than Columbia metro, no question, but Columbia metro still appears to be an easier place to build when you consider there were 31% more permits issued in 2015 per person arrived 2010-2015 than Charleston. Of course, it's just one stat. Maybe there's a bubble in Columbia and they're building too much here and the builders are just more cautious (relatively speaking) in Charleston? Who knows.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:01 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,423,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouje2 View Post
Good point. I didn't drill down into the data so I was merely guessing.

I suppose the error of my ways in a quick guess without drilling down would be to assume that all of metro charleston is like the peninsula (which is relatively hard to build in compared to the rest of the state), which obviously isn't true. I guess when I think of charleston, I think of the peninsula. But again there's Summerville and all these other places that go into the metro. I wonder how many of those 6,600 are on the peninsula. To sort of play devil's advocate and defend myself slightly, we should also consider that charleston has been growing very rapidly (much more rapidly than columbia) so you would in theory expect there to be more building permits, even assuming they may be tougher to get. Perhaps charleston would have had even more than columbia had they had our "standards." I could be wrong but just saying we should consider Charleson's growth.

edited to add: So I looked into it and assuming the data at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_Areas is right, we have the following calculations:

2015 estimate |2010 estimate |Gain |2015 Building permits| 2015 Permits per 100 people gained |% Greater
cola 810,068 | 767,598 |42,470 |4,600 | 10.83| 31%
char 744,526 | 664,607 |79,919 |6,600 | 8.26 |

Columbia produced 31% more permits in 2015 per 100 people gained 2015-2010 than charleston.
Im not sure what your calculations actually mean ... since youre comparing one year of permits issued to five years of population growth.... another area of complexity to the calculation is there would be 1 permit issued for multi- family construction regardless of it size or number of housing units they might contain. As an example .. there are approximately one thousand apartments being built currently on Daniel Island ...under three permits. I agree that theres little ability or appetite to construct housing units in the eastern two- thirds of the city's peninsula ( largely the historic district) but as Data has suggested in his comment above ... the western third .. the Neck ..remains developable and has experienced some growth.
Anyway ...growth everywhere in the state its good for all of us ... as long as growth is controlled ... and the infrastructure is built along with the growth.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:51 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
I had once complained that the boarded up windows on the first floor of city hall made it look like a derelict building. Glad to say for the past two weeks they have been doing something to them which I expect will make them look much more attractive.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic1 View Post
Im not sure what your calculations actually mean ... since youre comparing one year of permits issued to five years of population growth.... another area of complexity to the calculation is there would be 1 permit issued for multi- family construction regardless of it size or number of housing units they might contain. As an example .. there are approximately one thousand apartments being built currently on Daniel Island ...under three permits. I agree that theres little ability or appetite to construct housing units in the eastern two- thirds of the city's peninsula ( largely the historic district) but as Data has suggested in his comment above ... the western third .. the Neck ..remains developable and has experienced some growth.
Anyway ...growth everywhere in the state its good for all of us ... as long as growth is controlled ... and the infrastructure is built along with the growth.

I used 2010-2015 because it was easy to gather and also because I assumed building is somewhat of a lagging indicator based on population trends over the last few years and projecting forward from that. But you're right. I could have easily included more permit data years. So I just now looked at permits 2011-2015 cola and charleston and compared it to 2010-2015 population change and that 31% percentage from above stays bascially the same moving up to around 33% if I did the math right.

But point taken on the permits with large numbers of units. Since the most the census tells us (in that report at least) is "5 or more units" and "structures with 5 or more units" it's hard to say how many units are involved here for any given metro. Would be curious to actually see those numbers instead of just lumping them into > 5 unit category.

Last edited by Bouje2; 05-14-2016 at 09:34 AM..

Old 05-15-2016, 08:23 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
I don't know about anyone else, but I really like the way the apartments are turning out on the corner of Huger and Blossom. They look much better than the renderings. Maybe we can hope for similar positive improvement for the proposed tower next to the main Library.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:32 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,029,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but I really like the way the apartments are turning out on the corner of Huger and Blossom. They look much better than the renderings. Maybe we can hope for similar positive improvement for the proposed tower next to the main Library.
I agree. That will be a busy block once Palmetto Compress is finished as well. I suspect we'll see other development in that area soon thereafter. That derelict antique store would make a great restaurant and bar space.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:14 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,336,173 times
The Chinese buffet next to the gas station has a very deep lot, it'll be another apartment building within The decade

Old 05-16-2016, 06:00 AM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofCola View Post
The Chinese buffet next to the gas station has a very deep lot, it'll be another apartment building within The decade
I was talking to someone the other day about that same lot. I'm sure they serve decent food, but that's some prime real estate and hopefully someone will pony up the dollars to develop that land into something special. I believe that restaurant has been there since the early 80's at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area