Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2022, 08:39 AM

751 posts, read 565,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Columbia moving up in the world.

Another car wash in the heart of the city…

https://eedition.thestate.com/html5/...3-75712ef022b3
A bit uninspired, but then it's at the end of Assembly (left turning lane) and directly on Assembly, but not close enough to Main Street, so that looks perfect for a gas station or a car wash. I guess the latter is better than the former.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2022, 10:45 AM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
A bit uninspired, but then it's at the end of Assembly (left turning lane) and directly on Assembly, but not close enough to Main Street, so that looks perfect for a gas station or a car wash. I guess the latter is better than the former.
Good point. Yeah. if I had to choose I’d rather a car wash than a gas station.

Old 06-13-2022, 12:17 PM

403 posts, read 232,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Good point. Yeah. if I had to choose I’d rather a car wash than a gas station.
It’s also replacing what was a run down old gas station.

Old 06-13-2022, 03:36 PM

Couple interesting notes I gathered from the state budget. The 9 million the city received for the Convention Center last year is being repurposed to go to neighborhood improvements in the Belvedere, Beltline and Bluff/Atlas Rd areas. Also the City of Forest Acres requested funding to help with the Richland Mall development. No word yet on if that will be funded and if so how much.

In other government matters the City of Columbia held a press conference this morning to announce a program to make the city more business friendly. See attached link for details, all sound like positive steps to me.

https://columbiasc.gov/new-business-...ves-announced/

Old 06-14-2022, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestcracker View Post
Couple interesting notes I gathered from the state budget. The 9 million the city received for the Convention Center last year is being repurposed to go to neighborhood improvements in the Belvedere, Beltline and Bluff/Atlas Rd areas. Also the City of Forest Acres requested funding to help with the Richland Mall development. No word yet on if that will be funded and if so how much.

In other government matters the City of Columbia held a press conference this morning to announce a program to make the city more business friendly. See attached link for details, all sound like positive steps to me.

https://columbiasc.gov/new-business-...ves-announced/
These two are huge:

The city will no longer require on-site parking or require a business to rent off-site parking in order to receive an occupancy permit for commercial and retail buildings 7500 sq ft or less. Parking for residential buildings will be required.

Hiring full-time business recruiter(s) who will specialize in recruiting urban economic development through hotels, restaurants, retail, entertainment venues and corporate partners.

On the second, we need an Apple store!

Old 06-15-2022, 04:51 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
These two are huge:

The city will no longer require on-site parking or require a business to rent off-site parking in order to receive an occupancy permit for commercial and retail buildings 7500 sq ft or less. Parking for residential buildings will be required.

Hiring full-time business recruiter(s) who will specialize in recruiting urban economic development through hotels, restaurants, retail, entertainment venues and corporate partners.

Eliminating parking requirements on commercial/retail development under 7500 sq. ft. is pretty bold. I am waiting to see what neighborhood backlash becomes of that? Presumably this would push more cars on to the street and into residential areas in neighborhood commercial districts. In theory, most businesses would want SOME parking on site because Columbia is still very car dependent and if you have zero parking and there is little street parking.. you may not be in business long. In the case of Five Points, a new garage as part of some development that allows public parking can go a long way. The only other areas that I can see this becoming an issue would be along North Main (Cottontown, Elmwood Park, Earlewood) Rosewood, Olympia and maybe in a few corners of the city where someone opens a neighborhood tavern or liquor store.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:59 PM

1,151 posts, read 953,596 times
Quote:
These two are huge:

Finally Columbia is taking the right steps. these parking minimums hurts so many denser development. At least with this we can start getting more dense developments Hopefully in the Future.

Now they need to eliminate all parking minimums for developments.

Old 06-18-2022, 06:58 AM

While attempting to go to the Federal Building yesterday (A/C Unit was out so the whole thing was shut down) I noticed McCrory has started work on the apartments going in the old VA building next door. Nice to see this project finally started, hopefully it’s opening can coincide with Finlay Parks redevelopment.

Old 06-19-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestcracker View Post
While attempting to go to the Federal Building yesterday (A/C Unit was out so the whole thing was shut down) I noticed McCrory has started work on the apartments going in the old VA building next door. Nice to see this project finally started, hopefully it’s opening can coincide with Finlay Parks redevelopment.
I'm surprised! The proposal sounded amazing, but since it was by a non-developer (former ambassador or something?), I had a feeling it wouldn't come to fruition.

Old 06-19-2022, 08:56 AM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,615 times
Quote:
I'm surprised! The proposal sounded amazing, but since it was by a non-developer (former ambassador or something?), I had a feeling it wouldn't come to fruition.
Are y’all talking about the building with the mural? Right across from Finlay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area