Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2022, 07:14 AM

333 posts, read 214,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsm76 View Post
Lol. So it went from all these big businesses were waiting to build at bull street to housing and an art gallery.
If you are referring to retail then I would imagine the safe bet for businesses would be to wait until the housing aspect is put in place first so there would be a dedicated, static population that can support their business on a daily basis. Most of these projects that have been announced in recent years have retail space available at ground level. It seems they're trying to change the atmosphere around the area and give it a neighborhood flow/feel to attract residents and the rest will occur naturally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 07:32 AM

403 posts, read 232,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
If you are referring to retail then I would imagine the safe bet for businesses would be to wait until the housing aspect is put in place first so there would be a dedicated, static population that can support their business on a daily basis. Most of these projects that have been announced in recent years have retail space available at ground level. It seems they're trying to change the atmosphere around the area and give it a neighborhood flow/feel to attract residents and the rest will occur naturally.
I agree with this sentiment. The Bull St development always had a large housing component to it. Hughes sold a pipe dream early on by floating a ridiculous amount of tenants that has signed letters of interest. Until there is a solid population base and an appealing aesthetic quality for shoppers to come to, retail wasn’t going to work. It’s really just now getting to the point where roads are acceptable to travel through the development. I believe this latest development will be along the third base side of Segra Park as I noticed on two recent trips to the area that the last large structure from the mental hospital campus was being demolished. I’m interested to see if you see some retails announcements soon as West Lawn and it’s first floor retail is nearing completion and the Bennett will have space for retail as well. Iron Hill Brewing is well under way also.

Old 07-25-2022, 09:49 AM

751 posts, read 565,992 times
Quote:
Lol. So it went from all these big businesses were waiting to build at bull street to housing and an art gallery.
Are we sure this is going to be located in an area designated for commercial? There are blocks behind left field and beyond left outfield that were slated as "commercial & residential" that would seem like obvious places to build this complex. If it goes in either location, that feels like a win vs. a huge pivot/defeat if it goes direct on Bull Street between Starbucks and DHEC, which is clearly designated for retail.

Map: https://colatoday.6amcity.com/bennet...o-columbia-sc/

Old 07-25-2022, 12:55 PM

333 posts, read 214,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
Are we sure this is going to be located in an area designated for commercial? There are blocks behind left field and beyond left outfield that were slated as "commercial & residential" that would seem like obvious places to build this complex. If it goes in either location, that feels like a win vs. a huge pivot/defeat if it goes direct on Bull Street between Starbucks and DHEC, which is clearly designated for retail.

Map: https://colatoday.6amcity.com/bennet...o-columbia-sc/
I would assume it would be going on the lot on the third base side since that area is currently being cleared. Organically, it would seem like the best fit since the flow of retail/residential would be moving from directly across from the Segra Park gate to the side of the ball park. The blocks behind the Segra near Harden street are dedicated for the new USC School of Medicine, closer to the Segra are retirement facilities and townhomes so I would assume not much retail would fit in on that side. I know there was supposed to be another parking garage directly behind the outfield. It would be nice if the garage were for a hotel overlooking Segra park but closer to Gregg street. Either way, behind Segra will probably be the quieter side of the development; away from the brewery, restaurants, shopping, etc.

Old 07-25-2022, 05:08 PM

751 posts, read 565,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
I would assume it would be going on the lot on the third base side since that area is currently being cleared. Organically, it would seem like the best fit since the flow of retail/residential would be moving from directly across from the Segra Park gate to the side of the ball park. The blocks behind the Segra near Harden street are dedicated for the new USC School of Medicine, closer to the Segra are retirement facilities and townhomes so I would assume not much retail would fit in on that side. I know there was supposed to be another parking garage directly behind the outfield. It would be nice if the garage were for a hotel overlooking Segra park but closer to Gregg street. Either way, behind Segra will probably be the quieter side of the development; away from the brewery, restaurants, shopping, etc.
That would be amazing. Can you imagine a view like you get at the Rogers Centre Hotel in Toronto?

https://cache.marriott.com/content/d...nsize=1215px:*

Old 07-25-2022, 09:35 PM

1,151 posts, read 954,258 times
Quote:
Honestly more housing is needed because we're in a housing crisis right now. I rather see more housing or even 5 over 1 mixed used projects in the city over just pure retail places. Affordable housing, Density and Mixed Use is the future in this current market climate.

Old 07-25-2022, 09:41 PM

1,151 posts, read 954,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
That would be amazing. Can you imagine a view like you get at the Rogers Centre Hotel in Toronto?

https://cache.marriott.com/content/d...nsize=1215px:*
oh my god thats so nice like holy crap thats nice <3

Old 07-25-2022, 10:38 PM

421 posts, read 573,745 times
This project was sold to the city that all these businesses were ready to jump on board and open stores once the ballpark was ready. There were ‘contracts being signed’. You guys forget all that?

Old 07-26-2022, 09:05 AM

421 posts, read 573,745 times
https://www.wistv.com/story/30560346...d-by-years-end

Developers and city leaders remain tight-lipped when asked to identify other businesses coming to Bull Street Common.

Columbia Mayor Steve Benjamin told reporters Wednesday he expects "significant announcements" on additional tenants before the end of the year.

It has been nearly a year since Benjamin said more than 40 unnamed businesses were interested in locating on the 165-acre development.

Old 07-26-2022, 09:33 AM

273 posts, read 245,968 times
Are we still poo pooing this development? I feel that it has greatly exceeded my expectations. I am thrilled with this. So what if those businesses never materialized at the end of 2015? If we had received those businesses, would you be complaining about who opened up? Their clientele? Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. I as a Columbian am proud of the progress made at BullStreet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area