Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2022, 11:22 AM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post
I just can't imagine this being built. We keep hearing about things like this. We had waterpark off Farrow, then riverpark in Finlay. I just don't see this even hitting ground break. I don't think we have the demographics to support this. A YMCA level waterpark would be a little more reasonable. We already have the lake not that far away. How much will someone pay to go to an artificial beach in the middle of Columbia?
Really? Every redneck and college kid will go nuts at places like this. People that don’t frequent the lake (like myself) complain of the murky water of Lake Murray would feel comfortable here. Although I’m not much for pools either…more of a sea guy. Anyway…

All indications point that this project is a Go and will be completed by 2023. They’ve already settled the land to be built on.

I think with the overcrowded beaches of Charleston and Myrtle during peak season plus gas prices will draw people to this development locally. There’s much more upside to a development like this as opposed to a water park as there could be future retail and hotels built around it. It can definitely work in Cola. Hell, you could build em on all corners of Columbia.

Forestcracker: You make a good point about the college kids and the location off I-77. Realistically I see them putting it more towards the NE, but who knows. We’ll find out soon enough. I-77 location would be great since it could spur some growth in that area rather than making NE more cramped than it already is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2022, 12:22 PM

333 posts, read 214,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestcracker View Post
Interesting concept coming to Columbia. I always thought with as hot as Columbia is a water park would work, but why not try an artificial beach.

https://columbiabusinessreport.com/n...tourism/82456/
My guess would be that it would be going on Farrow Rd in the Northeast where a waterpark was planned several years ago, but was scrapped during the final voting period. There's a new housing development that is planned on Farrow down from Killian Crossing and another huge development that will probably take place within the next few years across I-77 behind the Lexus and Audi dealerships, not to mention the housing that will eventually take place on Killian Crossing. I think this is a great replacement for a waterpark and would be more of a 'one of kind' type experience since we have nearby waterparks in Myrtle Beach, Charleston, and Charlotte(unless another city very close gets this same development).

Old 08-25-2022, 09:23 AM

751 posts, read 565,608 times
Quote:
I was thinking about places it could fit. Former SCANA land around I77 and exit 2 could be an option. Perhaps some redevelopment along Bluff Rd to make it more accessible for students. Killian Rd where Killian Crossing has been floundering for years. Lexington and Irmo/Chaplin area. My guess is one of the locations closer to downtown with apartments and retail going around it and if not then Killian.
I didn't think about Killian Crossing, but that's a good call. They may want to prop that up.

The challenge with building this along the river is that the whole area is a flood plain and getting approval for permanent structures could be challenging.

Old 08-25-2022, 02:51 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
There’s a beach on the Congaree just below the Gervais Street Bridge.

Old 08-25-2022, 03:06 PM

1,124 posts, read 924,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
There’s a beach on the Congaree just below the Gervais Street Bridge.
Closed for the foreseeable future

Old 08-25-2022, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
Closed for the foreseeable future
Ohh man I forgot all about that place. Is it closed due to the coal tar cleanup?

Old 08-25-2022, 06:06 PM

1,124 posts, read 924,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Ohh man I forgot all about that place. Is it closed due to the coal tar cleanup?
Yes

Old 08-26-2022, 07:28 AM

403 posts, read 232,021 times
I saw a construction bid for Crystal Lagoons and it listed Lexington County as the location. These aren’t always 100% accurate but usually they get the County right. Usually you can open the listing up and it will give you a zip code as well but the site has been acting up the past week and it isn’t allowing that. Obviously that would eliminate NE Columbia.

Old 08-26-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I saw a construction bid for Crystal Lagoons and it listed Lexington County as the location. These aren’t always 100% accurate but usually they get the County right. Usually you can open the listing up and it will give you a zip code as well but the site has been acting up the past week and it isn’t allowing that. Obviously that would eliminate NE Columbia.
Wow, good find. Let us know when the site is working again and can get more details.

Would be neat if it was near the lake.

Old 08-26-2022, 10:52 AM

273 posts, read 245,869 times
So there’s plans for a lifestyle center at I-77 and 12th Street. The plans show an amenity lagoon on the site. Perhaps this is where Crystal Lagoons is going? Would also explain the residential neighborhood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area