U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-22-2021, 10:23 AM
 
312 posts, read 188,727 times
Reputation: 97

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
People have no problem strolling Main Street in any city at night as long as there is actually stuff to do and see. That in itself will result in a critical mass of people that establishes a positive feedback loop which sustains activity. Anybody who's too scared to park along a side street, Sumter, or Assembly and then walk to a fairly active and vibrant Main Street should probably just stick to suburban strip malls and backyard barbecues.
I understand what you're saying, but being the father of two girls I can understand a woman's concern for not wanting to park on empty streets or parking garages at night with the potential of a bunch of drunk men walking around. It is dimly lit on main street but the other streets are dark. I guess that's part of the ambience, if so, I'm fine with it but I also like to be proactive. I would rather have adequate lighting and police presence everywhere than to wait for several incidents to occur before it is corrected. Last thing we need are same the issues leading up to changes in five points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-24-2021, 01:34 PM
 
37,470 posts, read 40,002,389 times
Reputation: 26520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
I understand what you're saying, but being the father of two girls I can understand a woman's concern for not wanting to park on empty streets or parking garages at night with the potential of a bunch of drunk men walking around. It is dimly lit on main street but the other streets are dark. I guess that's part of the ambience, if so, I'm fine with it but I also like to be proactive. I would rather have adequate lighting and police presence everywhere than to wait for several incidents to occur before it is corrected. Last thing we need are same the issues leading up to changes in five points.
Empty streets and empty parking garages are indicators of a dead Main Street corridor with nothing going on. That's not what I'm talking about though. And the Five Points vibe isn't at all the same as Main Street's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2021, 07:40 PM
 
312 posts, read 188,727 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Empty streets and empty parking garages are indicators of a dead Main Street corridor with nothing going on. That's not what I'm talking about though. And the Five Points vibe isn't at all the same as Main Street's.
I actually just left from down there and the surrounding streets were empty and main street had a crowd. Mostly because main st has a lot of parking. The surrounding streets such as Sumter, assembly etc. were dead so that doesn't indicate a dead main street. I parked in Sumter st garage and it was lit really well, but main st. is dim. Like I said, not an issue with me I was just highlighting a vulnerability that could lead to some unfortunate opportunities. We've never had main st this vibrant so we can't really say the vibe today is going to be the vibe a few years from now; especially if five points makes a turnaround like they plan to. The college may make st their new party spot. There's two huge student towers on or near main as well. The vista and five points both had bad incidents so I think the city should be proactive in making sure main st is a safe location because the success of that district could determine new investments for the surrounding area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2021, 04:17 AM
 
698 posts, read 509,385 times
Reputation: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
I actually just left from down there and the surrounding streets were empty and main street had a crowd. Mostly because main st has a lot of parking. The surrounding streets such as Sumter, assembly etc. were dead so that doesn't indicate a dead main street. I parked in Sumter st garage and it was lit really well, but main st. is dim. Like I said, not an issue with me I was just highlighting a vulnerability that could lead to some unfortunate opportunities. We've never had main st this vibrant so we can't really say the vibe today is going to be the vibe a few years from now; especially if five points makes a turnaround like they plan to. The college may make st their new party spot. There's two huge student towers on or near main as well. The vista and five points both had bad incidents so I think the city should be proactive in making sure main st is a safe location because the success of that district could determine new investments for the surrounding area.
I've been thinking about your first point recently. I wonder what the best growth opportunity is for Main Street: additional infill, perpendicular streets (i.e. Blanding, Taylor), expansion between Hendrix and Elmwood, or connectors between Main and the Vista (i.e. Washington, Hampton)?

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2021, 07:46 AM
 
312 posts, read 188,727 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
I've been thinking about your first point recently. I wonder what the best growth opportunity is for Main Street: additional infill, perpendicular streets (i.e. Blanding, Taylor), expansion between Hendrix and Elmwood, or connectors between Main and the Vista (i.e. Washington, Hampton)?

What do you all think?
Me personally, I think Sumter street needs infill and more foot traffic since it and Main street are the two roads that are within the CBD. Having those two lively streets would bring infill to the perpendicular streets such as Blanding. Those store fronts on the bottom of the parking garage on Sumter need great tenants for this to happen. Also, some of those empty buildings could be converted renovated for apartments/retail. I consider Assembly and Bull to be the outskirts of the CBD and that infill would spread from the inside out. The connector between Main and the Vista will come slowly but I think it will happen when Assembly is given the "road diet" and those apartment complexes become active.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2021, 08:32 AM
 
7,914 posts, read 12,689,376 times
Reputation: 2476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
People have no problem strolling Main Street in any city at night as long as there is actually stuff to do and see. That in itself will result in a critical mass of people that establishes a positive feedback loop which sustains activity. Anybody who's too scared to park along a side street, Sumter, or Assembly and then walk to a fairly active and vibrant Main Street should probably just stick to suburban strip malls and backyard barbecues.
True... the critical part of your statement is critical mass...which has been increasing primarily due to the arrival of The HUB, additional downtown programming, and public safety presence. That has caused an increase in investment and a positive snowball effect. The increase in positive activity and ped traffic has/is slowly drowning out the "dead zones" and anyone's concerns over aggressive panhandling/homeless which were two of the primary complaints against Main Street. Challenges with homelessness continues but it has also shifted more towards North Main @ Elmwood and those service facilities in that area.

As for the lighting.. I think the city has been resistant to do anything with the trees along main street as they feel it provides shade and character.. I believe some of them from what I have heard are very old and will only be taken down when they meet their maker. Some people like the shaded effect of the street.. others want more traditional street trees that allow more light and show off the facades of the buildings.. I am used to it the way it is..so I good with it.... I for one havent been afraid to walk around downtown even in the more questionable times...but I recognize that may not be for everyone...In my experience most people moving around at night in some dark alley are just as afraid of the shadows as the one they cast...so it creates a "dont mess with me and I wont mess with you "atmosphere as you dont know who is carrying what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2021, 07:06 PM
 
331 posts, read 177,820 times
Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
Me personally, I think Sumter street needs infill and more foot traffic since it and Main street are the two roads that are within the CBD. Having those two lively streets would bring infill to the perpendicular streets such as Blanding. Those store fronts on the bottom of the parking garage on Sumter need great tenants for this to happen. Also, some of those empty buildings could be converted renovated for apartments/retail. I consider Assembly and Bull to be the outskirts of the CBD and that infill would spread from the inside out. The connector between Main and the Vista will come slowly but I think it will happen when Assembly is given the "road diet" and those apartment complexes become active.
Sumter definitely needs a face lift. It’s has an 80’s look to it with the old light poles. It really needs a road diet with bike lanes. There’s also a large stretch of it near the bust station which is just surface parking. I would rank Sumter second behind Elmwood on streets that I hope the new mayor makes a priority. The others on that same level are South Main and Taylor from Bull toward Harden. I wonder what is going on with the vacant office buildings next to the Township that have had SOLD signs on them since the New Year. Tax maps say Richland County owns the property but I am not sure if that’s correct. Maybe they have plans for parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2021, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Columbia,SC
1,102 posts, read 874,665 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestcracker View Post
Sumter definitely needs a face lift. It’s has an 80’s look to it with the old light poles. It really needs a road diet with bike lanes. There’s also a large stretch of it near the bust station which is just surface parking. I would rank Sumter second behind Elmwood on streets that I hope the new mayor makes a priority. The others on that same level are South Main and Taylor from Bull toward Harden. I wonder what is going on with the vacant office buildings next to the Township that have had SOLD signs on them since the New Year. Tax maps say Richland County owns the property but I am not sure if that’s correct. Maybe they have plans for parking.
I think Hampton and Sumter needs to do a one way road flip.

Hampton can be 3 lanes with Limited parking on 1 side and protected bike lanes on the other. and Sumter needs to go 3 lanes with limite parking on one side and a protected bike land also.

Hampton should Continue East one way until it hits Harden and Sumter should flip West one way.

will definately connect Downtown to the River better if they build this right and I can see a bunch of business sprouting up along that corridor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2021, 02:13 AM
 
Location: Soda City
1,124 posts, read 852,333 times
Reputation: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
I think Hampton and Sumter needs to do a one way road flip.

Hampton can be 3 lanes with Limited parking on 1 side and protected bike lanes on the other. and Sumter needs to go 3 lanes with limite parking on one side and a protected bike land also.

Hampton should Continue East one way until it hits Harden and Sumter should flip West one way.

will definately connect Downtown to the River better if they build this right and I can see a bunch of business sprouting up along that corridor.
I’m confused, mainly cause Sumter St goes N/S and Hampton goes E/W, but all the way at the top of downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2021, 09:03 AM
 
7,914 posts, read 12,689,376 times
Reputation: 2476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
Me personally, I think Sumter street needs infill and more foot traffic since it and Main street are the two roads that are within the CBD. Having those two lively streets would bring infill to the perpendicular streets such as Blanding. Those store fronts on the bottom of the parking garage on Sumter need great tenants for this to happen. Also, some of those empty buildings could be converted renovated for apartments/retail. I consider Assembly and Bull to be the outskirts of the CBD and that infill would spread from the inside out. The connector between Main and the Vista will come slowly but I think it will happen when Assembly is given the "road diet" and those apartment complexes become active.

I second Sumter Street.. If it can be improved along with infill from Laurel St to Gervais it would be a huge boost.. In fact having apartment buildings (like what is happening on Lady Street) along it would give more population/life to Main Street.. Assembly should develop more for office/commercial. If that occurs all the East West Streets from Assembly to Sumter would likely continue to see substantial improvements as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top