Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2022, 08:52 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yeah the pandemic has a lot to do with it because downtown hosts a lot of conventions and large gatherings. But the part of downtown that's slated to get a shot in the arm will be south downtown with redevelopment of existing properties and the proposed Centennial Yards development. Downtown Atlanta is really several distinct smaller districts with their own character and personality in one area without much synergy between them at this point.
Is the Underground even still open in some form? I tried to work my way over there but the hassle factor deterred me. At any rate,.. some of the intown neighborhoods in ATL remind me of Shandon, Elmwood Park, Waverly, Rosewood, with neighborhood commercial areas, shops and infill new construction seem quite appealing especially around the Beltline project in east and SE of downtown.

If Columbia can ever get rid of the Norfolk Southern Track that comes across Harden, Taylor, Gervais, and Blossom and South Assembly.. it would be cool to turn it into a walking trail to connect Columbia Commons with USC, Five Points, Olympia and any new development along South Assembly. Especially if the quarry is turned into a recreational facility as well along with access to the Stadium area around the fairgrounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2022, 06:43 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,263,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
If Columbia can ever get rid of the Norfolk Southern Track that comes across Harden, Taylor, Gervais, and Blossom and South Assembly.
Instead of get rid of them how about learn to live with them? I recall Atlanta having these same discussions many years ago and the groupthink finally realized that the trains had right-of-ways that were just too expensive to move so the metro area started building overpasses and tunnels to get around the traffic snarls that trains can create.

I lived there for almost 20 years and worked almost exclusively in the field and I rarely recall ever being stopped by a train unless I was near the intermodal yard south of downtown. Not every crossing had an over/underpass but there were enough scattered about that you could get around a train without a lot of effort.

Old 02-23-2022, 08:24 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
Instead of get rid of them how about learn to live with them? I recall Atlanta having these same discussions many years ago and the groupthink finally realized that the trains had right-of-ways that were just too expensive to move so the metro area started building overpasses and tunnels to get around the traffic snarls that trains can create.

I lived there for almost 20 years and worked almost exclusively in the field and I rarely recall ever being stopped by a train unless I was near the intermodal yard south of downtown. Not every crossing had an over/underpass but there were enough scattered about that you could get around a train without a lot of effort.
There was a proposal to reroute them through the corridor down in the Vista by placing a "switch" near Fontaine and Farrow Roads which would allow them to move their trains from Farrow on to the line that runs through North Columbia (CSX). From what I recall they are not opposed to it but did want a series of double tracking at various location to allow two trains to pass each other. To your point that is where the problem came up because of the cost to double track which would qualify for federal funding assistance. I believe the main concerns was the increase rail traffic in/near minority neighborhoods.

I believe NS already shares that corridor with CSX with the track that runs along the Broad River (the one on the Saluda may be theirs as well) which merges in with the CSX Line that runs through North Columbia and go through the corridor. They then separate south of the USC Greek Village with CSX heading over to Cayce while NS goes towards the Fairgrounds. NS would only be abandoning the section between Farrow Road and USC

Old 02-23-2022, 11:10 PM

1,151 posts, read 953,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Is the Underground even still open in some form? I tried to work my way over there but the hassle factor deterred me. At any rate,.. some of the intown neighborhoods in ATL remind me of Shandon, Elmwood Park, Waverly, Rosewood, with neighborhood commercial areas, shops and infill new construction seem quite appealing especially around the Beltline project in east and SE of downtown.

If Columbia can ever get rid of the Norfolk Southern Track that comes across Harden, Taylor, Gervais, and Blossom and South Assembly.. it would be cool to turn it into a walking trail to connect Columbia Commons with USC, Five Points, Olympia and any new development along South Assembly. Especially if the quarry is turned into a recreational facility as well along with access to the Stadium area around the fairgrounds.
Or the City consolidate them and use the now abandoned tracks for our Own Cities Rail Transit. We could finally have some tracks owned by the city that can he used for a Commuter Rail

Old 02-24-2022, 10:46 AM

518 posts, read 435,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Or the City consolidate them and use the now abandoned tracks for our Own Cities Rail Transit. We could finally have some tracks owned by the city that can he used for a Commuter Rail
Where would the commuter rail go? People aren't using the Comet as is. Can't imagine spending money on Rail that would have even options.

Old 02-24-2022, 11:55 AM

333 posts, read 214,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post
Where would the commuter rail go? People aren't using the Comet as is. Can't imagine spending money on Rail that would have even options.
This comes up every year. I understand that our city wants some of the amenities that the larger cities have, but we don't really have the need for a light rail system currently. The smallest city that has light rail is Tacoma, WA with a population of 213k but it belongs in the metro population of Seattle which boasts over 4 million. That is only 1 million short of the entire population of the state of South Carolina. We are still a very rural state even with a touch urbanization in our bigger cities. Heck, the gridlock that we complain about on 126/26 is laughable in the more dense metros. A few decades from now that may be where we're headed, but as you mentioned, the Comet isn't used enough to demand a rail system.

Old 09-03-2022, 06:57 PM

1,151 posts, read 953,596 times
https://columbiabusinessreport.com/n...dential/82497/

The New Affordable sorry "Attainable" Housing in The Bull Street Project. You already know my issue with this rendering and design. The amount of parking to Housing. I wouldn't of mind a Garage too much but for the fact they went Surface lot is just EW!

Why are we still putting massive Surface lots in Downtown. They claim they want a vibrant neighborhood. Parking lots isn't it. People and housing are and I can guarantee you that about only 60% of the lot would ever be uses. instead of offering people options like a more walk bike friendly neighborhood and transit you know all the things other successful cities are doing.

And I don't want to hear the excuses of "Well we cant do that in Columbia" or "Where are people gonna park their cars?" You know what a lot people would rather not do? A lot would rather not drive and have the burden of owning a car.

Old 09-04-2022, 09:51 AM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Quote:

The New Affordable sorry "Attainable" Housing in The Bull Street Project. You already know my issue with this rendering and design. The amount of parking to Housing. I wouldn't of mind a Garage too much but for the fact they went Surface lot is just EW!

Why are we still putting massive Surface lots in Downtown. They claim they want a vibrant neighborhood. Parking lots isn't it. People and housing are and I can guarantee you that about only 60% of the lot would ever be uses. instead of offering people options like a more walk bike friendly neighborhood and transit you know all the things other successful cities are doing.

And I don't want to hear the excuses of "Well we cant do that in Columbia" or "Where are people gonna park their cars?" You know what a lot people would rather not do? A lot would rather not drive and have the burden of owning a car.
Personally, I much prefer an interior, nicely tree-scaped (grand trees) surface parking lot to a parking garage. Driving onto Bull from Northeast Thursday, I once again hoped it won’t be long before something is built to hide the wall of a new parking garage and the levels of another seen from an angle on the Bull Street complex. Not a good look, especially with REI set back on the corner lot with asphalt on the corner, albeit with trees in the parking lot. The aesthetics disappoint.

Old 09-04-2022, 10:55 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't say that it's a bad look because of the location. That development is going on the quieter side away from the retail and Bull Street side of the property. It will be on the back side of the ball park and across from the park. Just like the town homes already there, that side of the development seems more fit to have surface parking and trees to coincide with the serenity of the landscape and the adjacent neighborhood. There's already three parking garages with the possibility of a fourth; I'd really hate to see more than that there considering the makeup of that area.

Old 10-31-2022, 01:30 PM

New spa opens at Bull Street Commons.

https://www.coladaily.com/business/n...6cb11c71b.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area