Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 09:12 PM

678 posts, read 800,008 times

Advertisements

Indirectly relates to columbia. Will housing growth come in the northeast and lexington suburbs or more downtown over the next 30 years ?

Why Are Developers Still Building Sprawl? - Atlantic Mobile

Last edited by Bouje2; 02-24-2015 at 09:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 10:36 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouje2 View Post
Indirectly relates to columbia. Will housing growth come in the northeast and lexington suburbs or more downtown over the next 30 years ?

Why Are Developers Still Building Sprawl? - Atlantic Mobile
Hopefully, no, but sprawl will likely continue. I do see more of a move into cities across the country, including in Columbia. I prefer dense, urban developments with public greenspace instead of everyone having their own "personal" greenspace in the form of large yards. That is a wasteful form of development. Of course, I also want great mass transit and solar and wind power to be fully supported, too.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:13 PM

377 posts, read 709,864 times
Sprawl will continue if the market wants it to. I work in the construction business and I can assure you, sprawl is doing just fine not only here in Columbia, but across both Carolinas.

If I had to venture a guess, it would be that millennials (though I'm loath to think of an entire generation as a hivemind determined to abruptly swim upstream against the status quo) want smaller, cheaper housing because that's what they can afford. Between coming out of college to lower than expected wages coupled with sky-high student loan debt, and the still-tight credit market, it's a very different world for first-time homebuyers than even twelve years ago when my wife and I bought our first house.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:28 PM

678 posts, read 800,008 times
I am an older millennial, and for me where I want to be is going to hinge on whether or not I have children. The problem is I have no idea right now whether I will. I loved having a big yard to roam and play baseball in, and a nice quiet neighborhood to ride my bike in growing up. I'd also like for them to have friends in the neighorhood to play with. Do you get that in Cottontown or Earlewood? Eh. Doesn't seem like it. Then schools... But if I knew I'd never have kids I'd never consider leaving downtown.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:39 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,032,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouje2 View Post
I am an older millennial, and for me where I want to be is going to hinge on whether or not I have children. The problem is I have no idea right now whether I will. I loved having a big yard to roam and play baseball in, and a nice quiet neighborhood to ride my bike in growing up. I'd also like for them to have friends in the neighorhood to play with. Do you get that in Cottontown or Earlewood? Eh. Doesn't seem like it. Then schools... But if I knew I'd never have kids I'd never consider leaving downtown.
There are a lot of Millennials, including many with children, in the Shandon and Wales Garden neighborhoods. There are some great areas downtown to raise children, but they're expensive.

I'm a Millennial, too, and I think our generation isn't going to be the first to raise children in penthouse apartments. But, I think many of us also don't want the cookie-cutter subdivisions in sprawl land. For my wife and me, we wanted to be "downtown" but also wanted a yard, albeit a small one. We like being able to walk places and not be more than a 5-10 minute drive from the amenities of downtown living. We are fortunate that we were able to afford this.

I think if the question is "what do Millennials WANT" vs. "what can Millennials AFFORD," the answers will be different.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:33 PM

730 posts, read 1,402,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post

I think if the question is "what do Millennials WANT" vs. "what can Millennials AFFORD," the answers will be different.
This.

Many millenials are working in jobs that have lower wages and are even working in fields completely unrelated to their degree. A degree they are paying on for 10 plus years. Plus, there are many loans out there that entice to that market. You can get USDA loan/no money down and TD's Right Step Loan that's only 3% down and no PMI if you're willing to live further out.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:05 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger17 View Post
This.

Many millenials are working in jobs that have lower wages and are even working in fields completely unrelated to their degree. A degree they are paying on for 10 plus years. Plus, there are many loans out there that entice to that market. You can get USDA loan/no money down and TD's Right Step Loan that's only 3% down and no PMI if you're willing to live further out.
Some relatively affordable cities that are attractive to millenials have first time homebuyer programs also, like Atlanta.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:09 AM

12,916 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Columbia has first-time home-buyer programs also.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:53 AM

377 posts, read 709,864 times
The FHA has a first-time homebuyer program as well.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:03 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Millennials will want to live where they can ride their single-speed bikes to Starbucks and post filtered pictures of the foam on their coffee to Instagram and have protracted text conversations with their friends without ever thinking to use their phones to actually call anybody and grow nappy beards (even the girls) and do flash mob dances in the middle of the street and have 90-minute group discussions with their friends to determine where they should go for dinner and wear pants that a pair of testicles can't possibly fit into comfortably without violating basic laws of physics and drive Japanese cars that look vaguely like Pokemon characters and end every spoken thought of theirs with upward vocal inflections and wear British bobble hats even when it's 90° outside and eat as much kale and pomegranates as they want. Not that they're, like, picky or anything.

Failing all that, how about Orangeburg?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area