Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2019, 07:31 AM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docka View Post
There is a dunkin already on Wilson and 20 and a plethora of little coffee places in the Noma below the trestle.

To really change that area the old stone manufacturing textile needs torn down and some market rate apartments need built there at main and sunset. They need to be built as they are downtown with retail / food on the lower level and offices / apartments above them.

There is an absolute crazy amount of traffic at that intersection so some decent dining would go over fantastic but it has to be accessible food to a broader audience like tropical smoothie or something. If you put that there it would show growth and more would come from that.

Lets hope so.. right now the city/SCDOT is using those areas as staging for the North Main project on the Stone Manufacturing site and Mt Asphalt is on Main and Sunset.. but you are right.. both locations are prime...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 12:32 PM

Default Stone Manufacturing Site

I looked up the ownership of the Stone Warehouse on north Main and it appears to be owned by Enterprise Bank in Barnwell SC.. since 2010..

The good news is the City is actively marketing the Stone site, a city owned parcel on Sunset near 277 for a hotel, and the Northway Shopping Center on Fairfield Road across from Alcorn Middle School(mostly vacant but anchored by a Food Lion) to name a few as part of the new Opportunity Zone program. If they can get any traction on any of these sites it could be a boost for North Columbia for sure. That large subdivision proposed for far North Main near the Pepsi Plant and I-20 appears to be in the Zone as well.. maybe that will help jump start it? Also Richland County's Columbia Place is in it as well along with the know game changers such as Bull Street.

https://columbiasc.gov/depts/economic-development/Columbia-SC%20Prospectus.pdf

Old 10-22-2019, 09:06 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,559,772 times
I live in Keenan Terrace, so redevelopment of the Stone site is essential.

Old 10-23-2019, 07:51 PM

160 posts, read 141,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I looked up the ownership of the Stone Warehouse on north Main and it appears to be owned by Enterprise Bank in Barnwell SC.. since 2010..

The good news is the City is actively marketing the Stone site, a city owned parcel on Sunset near 277 for a hotel, and the Northway Shopping Center on Fairfield Road across from Alcorn Middle School(mostly vacant but anchored by a Food Lion) to name a few as part of the new Opportunity Zone program. If they can get any traction on any of these sites it could be a boost for North Columbia for sure. That large subdivision proposed for far North Main near the Pepsi Plant and I-20 appears to be in the Zone as well.. maybe that will help jump start it? Also Richland County's Columbia Place is in it as well along with the know game changers such as Bull Street.

https://columbiasc.gov/depts/economic-development/Columbia-SC%20Prospectus.pdf
I wish I could share your optimism. I’ve met both public and private sector Columbia development folks. They’re nice people, but just not in the same league as those I’ve met from Raleigh, Charlotte, Austin, and even Greenville. Columbia has to step up its development game with more qualified, educated, experienced personnel with a broader informed perspective if we are to compete successfully regionally and nationally. I am impressed though of what has been accomplished despite these shortcomings. Just imagine what could happen if Columbia took it to the next level.

Old 10-24-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiCoLex View Post
I wish I could share your optimism. I’ve met both public and private sector Columbia development folks. They’re nice people, but just not in the same league as those I’ve met from Raleigh, Charlotte, Austin, and even Greenville. Columbia has to step up its development game with more qualified, educated, experienced personnel with a broader informed perspective if we are to compete successfully regionally and nationally. I am impressed though of what has been accomplished despite these shortcomings. Just imagine what could happen if Columbia took it to the next level.

I totally hear ya and agree with you 100%.. The City should spend good money to get a true Economic Development professional.. The folks we have, are nice folks for sure.. but they need to work for someone who is more knowledgeable, experienced and frankly more dynamic/charismatic.. Most ED folks know a lot and are salesman/women and can convince you that they are offering the greatest thing since sliced bread in coming to the community..That is what you need to attract investment.. The folks we have can GROW locally owned businesses and companies .. but not necessarily attract new or larger companies/firms....Seems like we at still stuck either in the small business development sphere.. or which manufacturing plant are we going to get to locate off of Shop Road.. Again.. we need those type of professionals and industries.. but we are certainly not aiming high...

Old 10-24-2019, 12:17 PM

611 posts, read 920,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I totally hear ya and agree with you 100%.. The City should spend good money to get a true Economic Development professional.. The folks we have, are nice folks for sure.. but they need to work for someone who is more knowledgeable, experienced and frankly more dynamic/charismatic.. Most ED folks know a lot and are salesman/women and can convince you that they are offering the greatest thing since sliced bread in coming to the community..That is what you need to attract investment.. The folks we have can GROW locally owned businesses and companies .. but not necessarily attract new or larger companies/firms....Seems like we at still stuck either in the small business development sphere.. or which manufacturing plant are we going to get to locate off of Shop Road.. Again.. we need those type of professionals and industries.. but we are certainly not aiming high...
Richland County has a host of problems, most notably a business property tax rate that far exceeds that of Lexington County; and permitting/licensing departments that lack coordination and have a reputation for being difficult to work with.

Until city/county leadership addresses the “easy things” that businesses need, hiring better economic development personnel is a wasted effort.

Old 10-24-2019, 01:41 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGamecock View Post
Richland County has a host of problems, most notably a business property tax rate that far exceeds that of Lexington County; and permitting/licensing departments that lack coordination and have a reputation for being difficult to work with.

Until city/county leadership addresses the “easy things” that businesses need, hiring better economic development personnel is a wasted effort.
Yeah, those are real issues that need to be addressed. The business property tax rate can somewhat be overcome with incentives, but the county has got to make it easier for businesses to set up shop there in a pleasant atmosphere.

Old 10-24-2019, 03:03 PM

1,124 posts, read 924,965 times
Quote:

Don’t start with permitting, the bureaucracy around here is the worst, far more so than in Lexington County too.

Old 10-24-2019, 08:08 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,559,772 times
Quote:

Lexington County also has virtually no services.

Old 10-25-2019, 03:32 AM

611 posts, read 920,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yeah, those are real issues that need to be addressed. The business property tax rate can somewhat be overcome with incentives, but the county has got to make it easier for businesses to set up shop there in a pleasant atmosphere.
I agree. Unfortunately it requires more effective leadership within city/county government/administration and the current batch of folks cant seem to figure out how to block and tackle.

Hoping that we can start to replace some of these old-timers on city and richland county council with younger folks who have run businesses in the city and can illustrate some of the pain points that hinder development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area