Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2019, 09:15 PM

160 posts, read 311,616 times

Advertisements

Did not see one here so I wanted to start an "I remember when" for the midlands area for those of us who grew up here.
I was born at Lexington County Hospital in 1973 and I lived in W.Cola, Lexington, and Irmo before moving to Summerville when my husband got a new job in 2011.
I'll start.
I remember...

• Riverbanks Zoo entrance was where the Carousel is now and you could go underground and see the polar bears swim in their pool from the cave below.
  • Mayfest was held at the State House grounds each year and there was plenty of shady spots to sit and eat your food and enjoy the festival.
  • When Dutch Square was the best place to go shopping because they had monkeys at Cromers peanuts https://cromers.com/blogs/news/crome...-by-rob-turner.
  • Morrisons cafeteria was a good place to eat after church on Sunday or Woolworths restaurant for lunch any day.
  • Everyone knew to listen for your name and "Meet your mother at the Rocket" if you were out with your friends at the fair.
  • Being on the Mr. Knozit show as a small kid then realizing later that Joe Pinner was Mr. Knowzit.
  • The old Zoom Flume water slide on Two Notch road was open in the summer.
  • Howard Johnsons was across from Bush River mall where Richway and Kroger were the anchor stores.
  • Watching Outlet Point mall being built.
  • The drive-in on Sunset. I remember going to see Harper Valley PTA there with my parents.
  • Shopping At Tapps downtown was a special event. Getting to eat there was HUGE for us.
  • Going to Columbia Mall during the Jerry Lewis telethon and watching the local news anchors broadcasting from center court as they update the $$ boards and interview people.
  • Columbia Mall at Christmas has the best Santa set-up EVER! I remember animatronic bears and fake snow that thrilled my tiny little heart. Santa was cool too but we had the bears on the see-saw and hiding in tree stums to watch while we waited. lol
  • Zesto's chicken and dipped cones when we went to Triangle city for any reason.
  • Getting Krispy Kreme doughnuts on N. Main. it seemed like they were always buy one get one free back then.
That is my list for tonight. Share yours!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 06:35 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
If you ran out of liquor at night you could call a cab company and order a specific cab #. The trunk of the cab was full of store bought liquor but the cost was about twice what it was in the store. It was called "call the bootlegger".

Old 03-14-2019, 10:28 AM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahcat View Post
Did not see one here so I wanted to start an "I remember when" for the midlands area for those of us who grew up here.
I was born at Lexington County Hospital in 1973 and I lived in W.Cola, Lexington, and Irmo before moving to Summerville when my husband got a new job in 2011.
I'll start.
I remember...

• Riverbanks Zoo entrance was where the Carousel is now and you could go underground and see the polar bears swim in their pool from the cave below.
  • Mayfest was held at the State House grounds each year and there was plenty of shady spots to sit and eat your food and enjoy the festival.
  • When Dutch Square was the best place to go shopping because they had monkeys at Cromers peanuts https://cromers.com/blogs/news/crome...-by-rob-turner.
  • Morrisons cafeteria was a good place to eat after church on Sunday or Woolworths restaurant for lunch any day.
  • Everyone knew to listen for your name and "Meet your mother at the Rocket" if you were out with your friends at the fair.
  • Being on the Mr. Knozit show as a small kid then realizing later that Joe Pinner was Mr. Knowzit.
  • The old Zoom Flume water slide on Two Notch road was open in the summer.
  • Howard Johnsons was across from Bush River mall where Richway and Kroger were the anchor stores.
  • Watching Outlet Point mall being built.
  • The drive-in on Sunset. I remember going to see Harper Valley PTA there with my parents.
  • Shopping At Tapps downtown was a special event. Getting to eat there was HUGE for us.
  • Going to Columbia Mall during the Jerry Lewis telethon and watching the local news anchors broadcasting from center court as they update the $$ boards and interview people.
  • Columbia Mall at Christmas has the best Santa set-up EVER! I remember animatronic bears and fake snow that thrilled my tiny little heart. Santa was cool too but we had the bears on the see-saw and hiding in tree stums to watch while we waited. lol
  • Zesto's chicken and dipped cones when we went to Triangle city for any reason.
  • Getting Krispy Kreme doughnuts on N. Main. it seemed like they were always buy one get one free back then.
That is my list for tonight. Share yours!

You hit a bunch... I would add

Waiting for Amtrak where the Blue Marlin is now and riding in to Philly, through the current pedestrian tunnel and over the N. Main Street Bridge.

Shopping at Macys, Belk's and Snipes Hobbies (Taylor St) downtown

Shopping at Tons O Toys and Peaches Disks and Tapes on Harden Street

Going to Richland Library(Sumter and Washington) and the YMCA when they both were over on Sumter Street

Getting a package delivered from friends at Greyhound Bus Station behind Tapps (Greyhound Package Express).. Taking Trailways from the Sumter Street Terminal (where Capitol Bank is located)

Old Columbia High School that sat vacant on Washington St for years before being torn down

Drive in on (far) North Main where Dollar General is now located.

Dutch Door Hobby Shop in Boozer Shopping Center

Being REQUIRED in middle school to watch Rudy Mancke of Nature Scene on SC ETV and wondering how in the hell did he catch that snake while walking thru Sequi and not get bit...

Being afraid of the puppet with the crazy eyes on SC ETVs "Sandlappers Corner"

Big Shopping Center lights down the median on Main Street downtown.. They were literally 15 stories tall and part of the city's skyline!!!

Elephants walking to the Elephant Room at the Carolina Coliseum

Every major concert in the state at the Coliseum before the Colonial Center got built

SCE&G ran the City Buses and it only cost 25 cents to ride....

Three Rivers Music Festival.. in the Vista!!!!!!

Last edited by Woodlands; 03-14-2019 at 10:41 AM..

Old 03-14-2019, 02:14 PM

My Mama LOVED Nature scene.
Rudy was cool.

I can still sing that dang sandlapper song...We are good sandlappers...

Old 03-14-2019, 02:23 PM

I loved seeing the Elephant walk even if we did not get to go to the circus that year.

Concerts at the Coliseum and Wrestling at the township. Ticket for both did not cost more than a car payment.

The farmers market across from Williams Brice with my mama to buy green peanuts or the best watermelon and cantaloupe.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:04 AM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahcat View Post
I loved seeing the Elephant walk even if we did not get to go to the circus that year.

Concerts at the Coliseum and Wrestling at the township. Ticket for both did not cost more than a car payment.

The farmers market across from Williams Brice with my mama to buy green peanuts or the best watermelon and cantaloupe.

Who could forget Dusty Rhoads and the Nature Boy Rick Flair!!!!! Ivan and Nikita Koloff along with the Iron Sheik ... Man the NWA really pushed that Russian angle when they double team and jumped American wrestlers..NWA designed it perfectly to **** people off...... The only time it was worse was when Drago killed Apollo Creed in Rocky 4

Old 03-15-2019, 12:40 PM

518 posts, read 436,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Who could forget Dusty Rhoads and the Nature Boy Rick Flair!!!!! Ivan and Nikita Koloff along with the Iron Sheik ... Man the NWA really pushed that Russian angle when they double team and jumped American wrestlers..NWA designed it perfectly to **** people off...... The only time it was worse was when Drago killed Apollo Creed in Rocky 4
PCW (Palmetto Championship Wrestlying) is on next weekend at North Spring Rec center. Very good local wrestling. Old school gym style. They can be found on Facebook

Old 03-20-2019, 10:27 AM

12,918 posts, read 18,761,054 times
When the new Carolina Coliseum was a very big deal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area