Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2021, 12:47 PM

2,169 posts, read 3,148,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Only a small percentage of people are welfare-level government-dependent. A certain percentage of them can be reached through government programs that so many call hand-outs. And living in such dire-strait conditions and being in need of assistance to get a leg up knows no race.
You are assuming I’m talking about the most cliche welfare cases. I’m not. People of color are offered a lot of different forms of government assistance outside of typical food stamps and welfare. I’m talking about affirmative action, quotas and the like. I know these first hand because my son-in-law is black. His parents are of equal financial means as my wife and I. Yet his entire college tuition was covered with grants and loan forgiveness that was not available to my daughter. And it wasn’t grades. He was a C - C+ student.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2021, 05:35 PM

13,020 posts, read 18,883,413 times
[quote=Iam4USC;62321716]You are assuming I’m talking about the most cliche welfare cases. I’m not. People of color are offered a lot of different forms of government assistance outside of typical food stamps and welfare. I’m talking about affirmative action, quotas and the like. I know these first hand because my son-in-law is black. His parents are of equal financial means as my wife and I. Yet his entire college tuition was covered with grants and loan forgiveness that was not available to my daughter. And it wasn’t grades. He was a C - C+ student.[/QUOTE

That’s a different topic. I don’t agree with the continuation of government-funded race-based scholarships and loan forgiveness. I think it should be based on financial means with stipulations. Private race-based scholarship funds and loan forgiveness programs are up to to the benefactor, I guess. Don’t really know.

Old 11-16-2021, 03:05 PM

12 posts, read 9,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
So please explain how black property ownership and wealth grew consistently from emancipation until the late 60s. What happened to slow, and eventually reverse that growth?
Integration. One of the Black communities biggest mistakes was integrating with white society, thinking it would make their lives better, instead of focusing on building their own community. Of course it wasn’t easy with the amount of racial terror white people put Black people through (Tulsa, Ocoee, etc)

Old 11-16-2021, 03:15 PM

12 posts, read 9,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
You are assuming I’m talking about the most cliche welfare cases. I’m not. People of color are offered a lot of different forms of government assistance outside of typical food stamps and welfare. I’m talking about affirmative action, quotas and the like. I know these first hand because my son-in-law is black. His parents are of equal financial means as my wife and I. Yet his entire college tuition was covered with grants and loan forgiveness that was not available to my daughter. And it wasn’t grades. He was a C - C+ student.
I’d like for you to provide me proof that affirmative action solely helps “people of color”. Studies show that it actually helps the most pampered and protected “minority” out there. White women. Factor in white LGBTQ and white handicapped people and it’s clear affirmative action continues tp help whites over POC’s. Oh and it’s laughable you think you know your son in laws parents every financial detail down to the cent, along with every detail of your son in laws education history and every detail of the university’s admission process. There’s just NO WAY one of……those people…..could be more qualified than your daughter. I hope they keep their child far far away from its grand parents.

Old 11-16-2021, 04:20 PM

2,169 posts, read 3,148,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatTurner1 View Post
I’d like for you to provide me proof that affirmative action solely helps “people of color”. Studies show that it actually helps the most pampered and protected “minority” out there. White women. Factor in white LGBTQ and white handicapped people and it’s clear affirmative action continues tp help whites over POC’s. Oh and it’s laughable you think you know your son in laws parents every financial detail down to the cent, along with every detail of your son in laws education history and every detail of the university’s admission process. There’s just NO WAY one of……those people…..could be more qualified than your daughter. I hope they keep their child far far away from its grand parents.
I was actually being a bit vague in my remarks. His family is actually much better off than ours. Dual professional incomes, very large house in prestigious neighborhood, expensive cars. As for his grades, yes! I do know. My daughter graduated Magna *** Laude. His final GPA was 2.5. I saw it. He was proud of it. He was not a very good student in HS and we were all proud of his work in college.

Old 11-17-2021, 07:37 AM

1,290 posts, read 794,904 times
I was shocked to see a Republican won the mayor race in Columbia. Biden apparently won 70% of the votes in Columbia.

Old 11-17-2021, 07:41 AM

1,290 posts, read 794,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatTurner1 View Post
Let’s be honest. Criticizing CRT, which doesn’t even exist in schools, is just an excuse for White people to try and erase historical facts. Just give it a couple years and the statement “Enslaving Black people is wrong.” Will be some sort of “radical communist CRT that shouldn’t be uttered” if white conservatives have their way. The same people in this thread insinuating that Black people are somehow inherently lazy, excuse me, lack “work ethic” are the same people that refuse to acknowledge that certain groups are born with far less opportunity, and have to work twice as hard to achieve financial stability, solely because of the color of their skin. These are facts that conservatives are trying to erase by blaming “CRT”.
This isn't true. Schools in SC and elsewhere were teaching students about slavery, segregation, Jim Crow, lynching, the Civil War, etc back in the 80s when I was coming up. Nobody has argued that these topics should not be taught.

CRT is an attempt to say all or most white people today are racist and to promote a victimization mindset among minorities. It doesn't help kids to be told they can't be successful because of their race and it isn't true.

Old 11-17-2021, 09:01 AM

518 posts, read 442,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
CRT is an attempt to say all or most white people today are racist and to promote a victimization mindset among minorities. It doesn't help kids to be told they can't be successful because of their race and it isn't true.
Where are you getting your CRT information? Is there a text book you pulled that from? Or an actual CRT presentation that wasn't created as an argument against CRT?

Old 11-17-2021, 08:58 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,609,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevinm View Post
Interesting. This post is coming from a person that just joined the boards in November and posted a video that the poster uploaded to a brand new YouTube account and page (with no subscribers).
I bet they're a realtor.

Old 11-17-2021, 08:59 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,609,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
This isn't true. Schools in SC and elsewhere were teaching students about slavery, segregation, Jim Crow, lynching, the Civil War, etc back in the 80s when I was coming up. Nobody has argued that these topics should not be taught.

That's bullmallarkey. Teaching people about the history of racism in this country is FACT, not conjecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area