Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2022, 10:11 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,536,713 times

Advertisements

It was near Longwood Drive near an industrial area. Norfolk Southern train 238 which is an intermodal train from Atlanta to Charleston derailed. Two of the lead engines are on their sides and about three to four cars as well. Two crew workers are in the hospital with unknown injuries. Some diesel fuel leake, but has been contained. WIS website is still saying it was two trains; the State says one train which judging from the pictures appears accurate.

Train derails in Columbia causing injuries and fuel spill, fire department says

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2022, 11:32 AM

8,249 posts, read 13,379,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
It was near Longwood Drive near an industrial area. Norfolk Southern train 238 which is an intermodal train from Atlanta to Charleston derailed. Two of the lead engines are on their sides and about three to four cars as well. Two crew workers are in the hospital with unknown injuries. Some diesel fuel leake, but has been contained. WIS website is still saying it was two trains; the State says one train which judging from the pictures appears accurate.

Train derails in Columbia causing injuries and fuel spill, fire department says
Yeah.. I remember that.. I have taken the Silver Star numerous times between DC and Columbia. I usually travel in a sleeper.. I can only imagine being shaken awake in a derailment as its usually 2am or 3am with the SB Silver Star arrives in this area. The derailment in Missouri(?) was horrendous and I believe most of the cars ended up on their sides. Videos showed people climbing out of their overturned sleepers walking along the walls... SMH... scary stuff.

Old 07-11-2022, 03:32 PM

Luckily no Amtrak derailment in Columbia this time. I have to pass over the derailment site for that accident every time I go into Columbia. Today's derailment was on Norfolk Southern. Apparently a plant switcher for the old American Pasta plant derailed this morning onto the NS tracks shortly before the NS intermodal train came along. The intermodal train hit the plant's locomotive and derailed. The two engines on the NS train landed on the side off the tracks.

Old 07-11-2022, 06:36 PM

217 posts, read 240,925 times
Bad day in shop Rd area today with the Train derailment then the fatal police chase

Old 07-12-2022, 04:16 AM

Yeah, something if off here. That switcher should be off the tracks and showing signs of being hit.

Old 07-12-2022, 09:15 AM

It's not being reported in the media from what I have found, but the two crew members were treated at a hospital and released yesterday. So that is good news. I am hearing they believe the plant switcher for Tree House foods that was coupled to some rail cars rolled off of the Tree House spur on it's own, ran through the derail that is supposed to stop rolling cars and derailed on the ground. But with the cars behind it, it was so heavy that it pushed the locomotive (whose wheels were up the ground but was upright) into the right-of-way of the Norfolk Southern main line. The locomotive must have been unmanned when it rolled away. Then the intermodal train came along and struck the Tree House Food train.

There is a little speculation in there (train being unmanned) but ost of that comes from folks who work on the railroad and have heard from people who were on scene. Consider the source.

By the way, yesterday at 4:30 I went to the WACH Fox web site and they literally were blaming the derailment on a "fuel spill." All other local media were quoting officials on scene with the two train scenario. The fuel spill was caused by the derailment, of course, and not the other way around. I told WACH about the error and at around 7:30 they had finally updated the website hours after everyone ele had the news right.

They also misidentified the railroad company. It's norfolk Southern Railway, not Railroads. SMH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area