Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 01:44 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,657,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
...sounds like a personal problem.
Just glad to see you guys so interested in Columbus . Can't say the same about Augusta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 01:57 PM

934 posts, read 1,347,636 times
I look at every city thread.... ignorance is bliss to some folk

Old 08-16-2012, 02:00 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,657,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
I look at every city thread.... ignorance is bliss to some folk
Seems like Columbus is the main focus, glad to see that.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:06 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,622,264 times
OMG....Please don't bring that into this forum....I wanted information on Smiths Station not the never-ending battle of Columbus vs. Augusta.....

Old 08-23-2012, 08:32 AM

130 posts, read 243,648 times
I'm even gonna comment on this whole concept of "Augusta vs Columbus" because I agree with cdw that has nothing to do with what was asked. As far as Smiths Station goes I've been there a couple times might sound weird even though I'm from Columbus the first time I ever been to Smiths Station was earlier this year but I gotta say Id agree with the person that said it's mostly residential. Country as country gets over there to an extent heard the school system is decent there too a hell of alot better than the Columbus school system apparently which Id probably agree with but I won't go into that. It seems like a nice place to live but looks are deceiving at times but like I've said everytime I've been there it was laid back for the most part you'd have to go there and see for yourself though don't take my word for it.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:50 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,932,785 times
Smiths Station is a strange place; it's basically a city in name only, occupying pretty much the entire far-eastern portion of Lee County. There are several nice subdivisions there, but most of it is semi-rural to very rural -- lots of narrow country roads. The town itself ain't much -- a few mom-and-mop stores and the high school are pretty much it. I worked at the newspaper in Auburn-Opelika until about 5 years ago, and at that time there was no water, sewer or police department. Lee County Sheriff deputies provided law enforcement, and it was a problem because the sheriffs office was in Opelika, 25 minutes away. I think they started garbage collection while I was there. That's as much "government" as Smiths Station could afford.

PS -- Being from Georgia, the whole notion that a "city" could exist in Alabama and not provide any "city" services was foreign to me. Georgia has minimum requirements for places to claim municple incorporation. Alabama is a very weird state.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:08 AM

Wow! Great info Newsboy and on that note I won't be visiting Smiths Station.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Wow! Great info Newsboy and on that note I won't be visiting Smiths Station.
Oh you should definitely check it out, I'm just saying there's a BIG difference between Georgia and Alabama in the Columbus region. It's hard to explain, but I think you'll understand when you get there and drive around. That part of Alabama is not exactly what I'd call "pretty" -- and the roads are real bad. Some people LIKE the rural lifestyle and lower taxes in Smiths Station, but you get what you pay for IMO. And you still have to drive to either Phenix City or Columbus to do anything ... like go to Walmart.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:09 AM

I'll probably eventually go and check it out because I want to see how 35,000 people can live out there without any retail around. It would seem as if they would have a stores just as Phenix City considering the population.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
I'll probably eventually go and check it out because I want to see how 35,000 people can live out there without any retail around. It would seem as if they would have a stores just as Phenix City considering the population.
It's 35,000 people spread across the entire eastern 1/3 of Lee County, about 200 square miles. There's very little commercial / retail activity in unincorporated areas of Alabama because of the tax laws and limited control the county governments have under the state constitution. It's very strange. Plus, the Smiths Station area really hugs Phenix City and Columbus so there's no need. Everything's just across the county line (The Phenix City Walmart sits on the county line in fact, I think.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA