Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 10:35 PM

7 posts, read 7,631 times

Advertisements

Add one more vote for Cheesecake Factory and Whole Foods or Earth Fare!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 04:53 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,645,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadof3k View Post
Add one more vote for Cheesecake Factory and Whole Foods or Earth Fare!
With you on that!

Old 03-27-2015, 06:19 PM

105 posts, read 149,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyboopchic View Post
Trader Joes tops my list
Bev Mo
WHATABURGER
Urban Outfitters
Whole Foods
Pf Changs
More Juice bars
Boba Tea
JCrew
The Coffee Bean
Lush
Cheesecake factory
These are my most wanted list I hope we get a Trader Joes because I love that store and I miss it so much.
Definitely could see these entering your market. Cheesecake Factory might be a little much but that place is nothing to brag about. Seems like only tourists or non-Atlantan's eat at the ones here in Atlanta.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:20 AM

783 posts, read 1,161,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyers3 View Post
Do you think there is a market for Whole Foods? Its a different type of grocery. Speaking of which, I'd love a Kroger! Valley, AL has one, why can't we have one? Publix and Winning Dixie have ruled for too long.
I miss Kroger, also.

Speaking of missing, the F.Y.E and Books-A-Million locations that both closed at the first of the year... am I the only person here that feels losing both opf those stores was a major blow to our cultural development in Columbus?

At least Auburn is a short drive from here, where there's a full sized (like we had on Macon Road for many years) Books-A-Million as well as the excellent Hastings (somewhat similar to F.Y.E with books added) so all is not lost... and so far we still have a Barnes & Noble and Movie Stop here.

But by far the grimmest aspect of Columbus, Georgia remains the lack of variety in book, music and media stores.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:22 AM

783 posts, read 1,161,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaud12 View Post
Definitely could see these entering your market. Cheesecake Factory might be a little much but that place is nothing to brag about. Seems like only tourists or non-Atlantan's eat at the ones here in Atlanta.
Cheesecake..?

Upscale lingere modelling?

Old 04-09-2015, 08:46 AM

967 posts, read 1,072,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Dockery View Post
I miss Kroger, also.

Speaking of missing, the F.Y.E and Books-A-Million locations that both closed at the first of the year... am I the only person here that feels losing both opf those stores was a major blow to our cultural development in Columbus?

At least Auburn is a short drive from here, where there's a full sized (like we had on Macon Road for many years) Books-A-Million as well as the excellent Hastings (somewhat similar to F.Y.E with books added) so all is not lost... and so far we still have a Barnes & Noble and Movie Stop here.

But by far the grimmest aspect of Columbus, Georgia remains the lack of variety in book, music and media stores.

I think we have a lot more going for us cultural wise than just a book store and an FYE. I think it's more of a blow to places to buy used music and movies as well as books. I think given a bit of time something will fill in the gap. This does however leave Peachtree mall currently with a lack of those retailers which if anything it needs more variety.

Also speaking of Kroger, I wonder why they are not located here. I just did a search for different Kroger locations and I see a few good sized cities where they are not located while they have locations in several much smaller cities. I'm guessing competition.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:30 AM

69 posts, read 121,335 times
Kroger used to be here until Publix came.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:51 PM

59 posts, read 71,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWColumbus View Post
Also speaking of Kroger, I wonder why they are not located here. I just did a search for different Kroger locations and I see a few good sized cities where they are not located while they have locations in several much smaller cities. I'm guessing competition.
I think it has to do with Columbus having so many Publix locations within the city. I really don't think I city the size of Columbus really needs 4 Publix stores in the city limits. That alone would basically saturate nearly all of the market and leave no room for variety. There are cities that are similarly sized to Columbus and have Kroger and Publix locations, so it probably has more to do with the concentration of Publix stores, which in a similarly sized metro area as Columbus, would leave little room for competition. Columbus also has stores such as Wal-Mart, which basically take the remaining market, and leave no room for a Kroger. If Columbus had a larger metro area and its stores were more spread out, I think it would be able to support a Kroger.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:21 AM

7 posts, read 20,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachTree_ View Post
I think it has to do with Columbus having so many Publix locations within the city. I really don't think I city the size of Columbus really needs 4 Publix stores in the city limits. That alone would basically saturate nearly all of the market and leave no room for variety. There are cities that are similarly sized to Columbus and have Kroger and Publix locations, so it probably has more to do with the concentration of Publix stores, which in a similarly sized metro area as Columbus, would leave little room for competition. Columbus also has stores such as Wal-Mart, which basically take the remaining market, and leave no room for a Kroger. If Columbus had a larger metro area and its stores were more spread out, I think it would be able to support a Kroger.
I live in Auburn. There is a Walmart, a Winn-Dixie, 2 Publix-es, an Earth Fare and a Kroger here. If you want to include Opelika, there is an additional Walmart, another Winn-Dixie, a Piggly Wiggly and an even larger Kroger.

I'm sure Columbus has the population/income to support at least one Kroger.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:38 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,842,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggraf71 View Post
I live in Auburn. There is a Walmart, a Winn-Dixie, 2 Publix-es, an Earth Fare and a Kroger here. If you want to include Opelika, there is an additional Walmart, another Winn-Dixie, a Piggly Wiggly and an even larger Kroger.

I'm sure Columbus has the population/income to support at least one Kroger.
Right!

It has nothing to do about population or median income.It's about the competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA