Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 11:57 AM

201 posts, read 540,785 times

Advertisements

Hard to argue with the facts.....
Columbus is turning into another 3rd world community like the towns that surround it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 08:13 AM

201 posts, read 540,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
So Columbus is such a great place because there I can go to the
gym, movies, bowling, opera house, walmart, gas station, and
it has many farms within 30 mins?

lol I can say that for pretty much any mid sized southern or mid western city

Heck, I can say most of that you just named about Warner Robins.
You said you are from a small town, so maybe those things seems like something special to you,
but all of that just seems like the "basics" any mid or nice sized city would have, those
things dont set columbus a part from other places, it just shows that they have the basics,
but where are the clubs, big mall, busy interstates, urban environment, etc. that I find
in other cities around or above 100,000 residents? It's just not there, which is why I dont like
Columbus, but if you love it I'm happy for you.
I agree and gave you a positive!!

Old 07-15-2009, 09:44 AM

51 posts, read 110,536 times
As if there hasn't been enough Columbus Georgia bad news this comes in today....
We have BRAC coming with hundreds of school age children and are already putting local children in trailers this fall and the city still sits and does nothing??
Whoever said cities schools were top shelf obviously didn't finish themselves.

17 Muscogee County schools fail to meet federal standards

Seventeen schools in Muscogee County failed to meet federal standards for student performance this year.
Based on preliminary data released Tuesday from the state department of education, the Muscogee County School System did not make adequate yearly progress, with 39 schools meeting student achievement standards set by the federal No Child Left Behind Act for the 2008-09 school year. Last year, 45 schools made AYP, though the system did not make AYP.
AYP is measured based on math and reading test scores on the Criterion-Referenced Competency Test and the Georgia High School Graduation Test, as well as attendance and graduation rates, among other factors.

The system met AYP in test participation, but did not have enough black, disabled or economically disadvantaged students pass the state standardized tests. The data does not include scores on retest of the CRCT or the graduation test.
CRCT retests were offered in May and local high schools are offering retests of the Georgia High School Graduation Test this week; improved scores could affect some schools’ AYP status.
Hardaway High School did not make AYP because of students’ scores on the math portion of the graduation test. Students must score at least a 500 to pass the test and graduate, but a 516 is required to meet federal standards.
About 74.4 percent of the students scored high enough to meet federal standards; the school needs 74.9 percent to pass to make AYP.
This year, the state department of education is allowing students who passed the test, but did not meet federal requirements, to retest during the summer. Students will take the math portion of the graduation test today.
Hardaway principal Matt Bell said administrators have called about 50 students asking them if they can come back in for retests.
“It’s hard because they’ve already passed,” Bell said.
Jordan High principal Ricky Stone said they also called passing students to ask them to retest, but only about two showed up to summer review sessions. The school will retest in math today and in English later this week. Stone said he thinks the school will fare better in English scores after the retests. About 82 percent passed the English portion of the exam; 87.7 percent must pass to meet federal standards.
Jordan High did not make AYP this year and remains on the needs improvement list. Schools that miss AYP two years in a row in the same category are designated as needs improvement schools. Those schools must offer extra tutoring for struggling students and give parents the option to send their children to another, higher-performing school.
Baker Middle, Double Churches Middle, Eddy Middle, Carver High, Kendrick High and Spencer High were also already in needs improvement status; this year’s data adds Fox Elementary and Shaw High school to the needs improvement list.
A school must make AYP two years in a row to be taken off the needs improvement list. Stone said the high school offers review sessions for students throughout the school day to help them pass the graduation test and the school is monitoring ways to improve.
“We’ve got a lot of good, hard-working dedicated teachers this year. They do bring the kids a long way,” Stone said.
Penny Thornton, principal at Fox Elementary, said the school is also doing several things to improve its test scores, such as adding the Cornerstone literacy program, improving parent involvement and increasing teacher effectiveness.
The school, which is in its first year of needs improvement, will also get support from the district through materials and resources, she said.
Some schools improved their scores this year. Martin Luther King Jr. Elementary, Muscogee Elementary and Marshall Middle did not make AYP last year, but met the federal standards this year. If Marshall Middle meets AYP for the 2009-10 school year, the school will be taken off the needs improvement list.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:52 AM

117 posts, read 507,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandrainGeorgia View Post
As if there hasn't been enough Columbus Georgia bad news this comes in today....
We have BRAC coming with hundreds of school age children and are already putting local children in trailers this fall and the city still sits and does nothing??

Seventeen schools in Muscogee County failed to meet federal standards for student performance this year.
Based on preliminary data released Tuesday from the state department of education, the Muscogee County School System did not make adequate yearly progress, with 39 schools meeting student achievement standards set by the federal No Child Left Behind Act for the 2008-09 school year. Last year, 45 schools made AYP, though the system did not make AYP.
AYP is measured based on math and reading test scores on the Criterion-Referenced Competency Test and the Georgia High School Graduation Test, as well as attendance and graduation rates, among other factors.

The system met AYP in test participation, but did not have enough black, disabled or economically disadvantaged students pass the state standardized tests. The data does not include scores on retest of the CRCT or the graduation test.
CRCT retests were offered in May and local high schools are offering retests of the Georgia High School Graduation Test this week; improved scores could affect some schools’ AYP status.
Hardaway High School did not make AYP because of students’ scores on the math portion of the graduation test. Students must score at least a 500 to pass the test and graduate, but a 516 is required to meet federal standards.
About 74.4 percent of the students scored high enough to meet federal standards; the school needs 74.9 percent to pass to make AYP.
This year, the state department of education is allowing students who passed the test, but did not meet federal requirements, to retest during the summer. Students will take the math portion of the graduation test today.
Hardaway principal Matt Bell said administrators have called about 50 students asking them if they can come back in for retests.
Jordan High principal Ricky Stone said they also called passing students to ask them to retest, but only about two showed up to summer review sessions. The school will retest in math today and in English later this week. Stone said he thinks the school will fare better in English scores after the retests. About 82 percent passed the English portion of the exam; 87.7 percent must pass to meet federal standards.
Jordan High did not make AYP this year and remains on the needs improvement list. Schools that miss AYP two years in a row in the same category are designated as needs improvement schools. Those schools must offer extra tutoring for struggling students and give parents the option to send their children to another, higher-performing school.
Baker Middle, Double Churches Middle, Eddy Middle, Carver High, Kendrick High and Spencer High were also already in needs improvement status; this year’s data adds Fox Elementary and Shaw High school to the needs improvement list.
A school must make AYP two years in a row to be taken off the needs improvement list. Stone said the high school offers review sessions for students throughout the school day to help them pass the graduation test and the school is monitoring ways to improve.
“We’ve got a lot of good, hard-working dedicated teachers this year. They do bring the kids a long way,” Stone said.
Penny Thornton, principal at Fox Elementary, said the school is also doing several things to improve its test scores, such as adding the Cornerstone literacy program, improving parent involvement and increasing teacher effectiveness.
The school, which is in its first year of needs improvement, will also get support from the district through materials and resources, she said.
Some schools improved their scores this year. Martin Luther King Jr. Elementary, Muscogee Elementary and Marshall Middle did not make AYP last year, but met the federal standards this year. If Marshall Middle meets AYP for the 2009-10 school year, the school will be taken off the needs improvement list.

This part was somehow left out of the first sentence of this post, but appears in the Ledger article.

"but some of the county’s high schools could still improve their test scores."

Old 07-16-2009, 06:46 AM

44 posts, read 90,178 times
Quote:
And exactly how does that make the article any different?
If it was left out by error it certainly did not make the article more negative did it?

You poor folks are desperate....
I agree.
I read the article and it doesn't make a bit of difference in relation to the headline at all.
No big deal really.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:48 AM

63 posts, read 151,560 times
A town growing by leaps and bounds......lol

Nissan goes to court in effort to cut ties with Columbus auto dealer Rob Doll - News - Ledger-Enquirer.com (http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news/story/886836.html - broken link)

Old 10-28-2009, 11:43 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,241,558 times
Quote:

These are all schools with a large percentage of its student population coming from poorer neighborhoods. Not that poverty equals dumbness but that's just something that I noticed. Now while Hardaway has a large portion of students from wealthy areas like Sears Woods there's still plenty from not so wealthy areas.

Also Columbus as a whole has always had problems with getting students to pass the graduation test the first time around. It was a problem when I was in high school and it continues to be a problem now apparently. Honestly I don't think enough is done particularly in high school to get the students ready. They're making improvements at the middle schools and really drill those kids but at the same time there's still plenty not passing. Honestly I think apathy has a lot to do with it to. Some of our minority children are apathetic. Kids don't see education as important because the consequences both good and bad don't come to light until what seems to them like the distant future. So I think making consequences current would help maybe holding them back a grade until they pass but really and truly it has to come from the home. There has to swift and severe consequences to the child from mom or dad because a bad grade does not mean anything but being on restriction for said bad grade does.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:48 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,241,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubtech View Post
A town growing by leaps and bounds......lol

Nissan goes to court in effort to cut ties with Columbus auto dealer Rob Doll - News - Ledger-Enquirer.com (http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news/story/886836.html - broken link)
Gee that's unfortunate. I haven't owned a lot of cars but I always wound up getting the better deal in Lagrange. They say that Columbus car prices are overpriced due to its proximity to Fort Benning. Don't quote me but that was always the rumor but at the end of the day after shopping and shopping in Columbus the two cars that I have bought wound up being in Lagrange.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 3,200 times
I have lived in Columbus for 34 of my 37 years alive now. Yes Columbus needs to speed it up a bit. Still so many roads that are in cities are 30 and 35 mph where as in other cities of equivolent size run 40 to 45 on those same types of streets. We have a lot of work ahead of us. But I have to agree with one writer, that the people of Columbus do seem set in their ways and not offering any true signs of wanting to change anything. They are happy with the way things are. For so long, 6 main folks have controlled everything that comes into this town. The Fish Camp Boys as they are called. And now, their empires are falling apart or they are dying off and their heirs dont want to live here or dont care for the way things are going.
I am posting my final bid for city council in 2012. Im running against a 35 year incumbant that has done nothing in this district for the past twenty years but sit on his seat. There's more to changing the city than sitting in a seat. It takes true leadership. Finally Columbus is getting a taste of what real visionary leadership is with our current and first female Mayor...Teresa Tomlinson.

We have a long road ahead and we need folks that are focussed and geared on moving our city forward.

Jeremy Hobbs
[url=http://www.hobbs2012.com]Jeremy Hobbs for City Council 2012 - Home[/url]

Old 12-17-2011, 11:31 AM

2 posts, read 3,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Gee that's unfortunate. I haven't owned a lot of cars but I always wound up getting the better deal in Lagrange. They say that Columbus car prices are overpriced due to its proximity to Fort Benning. Don't quote me but that was always the rumor but at the end of the day after shopping and shopping in Columbus the two cars that I have bought wound up being in Lagrange.
YES COLUMBUS CARS ARE OVERPRICED. Your assumption is true. People can go to Alabama or Lagrange and get a better deal than they can in Columbus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA