Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2008, 06:11 PM

726 posts, read 2,818,071 times

Advertisements

Macon has 3 Large Venues
http://www.maconcentreplex.com(you (broken link) should check them out)

Macon Centreplex
-The Arena Seats over 10,000 the complex also includes a 102,000sqft Convention Center, 30,800sq.ft. Exhibition Hall, 9,100 sq. ft. Ballroom and 13 Meeting Rooms ranging in size from 360 sq. ft. up to 2,660 sq. ft. Also Full range of in-house services for one-stop shopping. Services include advertising, promotions and public relations, event coordination, full-service catering, security, Ticket Master ticketing and complete box office operations. A 2,300-space paved and lighted parking.

Now under construction is a Conventional Center Marriott Hotel which is well a new addition to the Complex DT.

www.marriottmacon.com

The Arena Hosts Monster Trucks shows, Barney, Bob the builder, Disney’s Beauty & the Beast on ice, hockey games; Ice skating, numerous musical concerts from well know artists, arena foot ball, basketball and rodeos…

Macon City Auditorium -Seat 3,676 which includes the balcony (that where Oprah taped her show)

Grand Opera House- Seats 2,418 which consistently host performances by Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and many Broadway touring companies, concerts such as those of the Macon Symphony Orchestra, community theatre productions (including the Nutcracker holiday show), and other performances and events.

Last edited by yerocal; 07-09-2008 at 06:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 11:46 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,186,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialaw View Post
Fort Benning is dependent on Columbus? rofl
Now that is definitely a wild pitch.
Can you even imagine the economic state of Columbus if Fort Benning had never existed.
Until the 90's you used to see many soldiers and their families out and about in the Columbus area but not anymore.
They have bowling,fishing,hunting,movies,countless restaurants,clubs and so much more.
Housing on the base will be more than sufficient for upcoming troops according to base commander and who wouldn't want a brand new place to live over an overpriced apt in the city as well as the commute.
Honestly there are a lot more cities that are glad they are not Columbus.
Are you kidding? If the base had never existed we would not be having this conversation, the truth is the base exist and it is a vital part of the community and with the BRAC expansion going on it should be here for many years to come. As an ex military person I am glad they are here. No base in the continental US has enough base housing to house its troops families, Army or otherwise. Besides, a large number of them will choose to buy a house as a future investment. By the way, I don't know how often you get out, but Fort Benning has had fishing, bowling, eateries and clubs for as far back as I can remember, but who wants to be stuck on a base? As a mater of fact I can't think of a single military base that does not have at least one Officers' and NCO's Club. And those are the only clubs that can function on a military base. Over priced or not, they receive COLA, which offsets the cost of living off base. By the way, I do not know why you guys are not getting it, but not all those people coming to the area will be enlisted in the military. A large number of the jobs will be civilians and that's a fact. All military installations have a large number of civilians that support the base in some capacity. Some work for the US Government and some are contractors. But I can tell you one thing, some high tech jobs will be coming with those high tech tanks. You know what? Georgians should be glad to see jobs coming to GA. Why all the hate? This is West Central GA time, so rejoice with us. Yea, I can tell, a large number of cities were glad they were not Columbus. I know if I the mayor of another city I would be saying things like. Boy we should are happy those 30,000 or so jobs aren't coming in the near future to our area. Man I'm glad our local university has not grown as fast as that school in Columbus. Thank God the companies that are already here are not expanding. The gall of Columbus to think regionally, what's wrong with them? Don't they know that that kind of thinking will do? Gulp... it's going to cause massive growth in industry and population. Yep, it sure is bad thing to be Columbus and West Central GA right about now.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:39 AM

913 posts, read 2,984,525 times
Quote:
Fort Benning is dependent on Columbus? rofl
Now that is definitely a wild pitch.
Can you even imagine the economic state of Columbus if Fort Benning had never existed.
Until the 90's you used to see many soldiers and their families out and about in the Columbus area but not anymore.
They have bowling,fishing,hunting,movies,countless restaurants,clubs and so much more.
Housing on the base will be more than sufficient for upcoming troops according to base commander and who wouldn't want a brand new place to live over an overpriced apt in the city as well as the commute.
Honestly there are a lot more cities that are glad they are not Columbus.
Dude, give it up. Fort Benning is the largest employer in the state. Your comments are so asinine that I look forward to reading what you might possibly say next!

Old 07-10-2008, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
Are you kidding? If the base had never existed we would not be having this conversation, the truth is the base exist and it is a vital part of the community and with the BRAC expansion going on it should be here for many years to come. As an ex military person I am glad they are here. No base in the continental US has enough base housing to house its troops families, Army or otherwise. Besides, a large number of them will choose to buy a house as a future investment. By the way, I don't know how often you get out, but Fort Benning has had fishing, bowling, eateries and clubs for as far back as I can remember, but who wants to be stuck on a base? As a mater of fact I can't think of a single military base that does not have at least one Officers' and NCO's Club. And those are the only clubs that can function on a military base. Over priced or not, they receive COLA, which offsets the cost of living off base. By the way, I do not know why you guys are not getting it, but not all those people coming to the area will be enlisted in the military. A large number of the jobs will be civilians and that's a fact. All military installations have a large number of civilians that support the base in some capacity. Some work for the US Government and some are contractors. But I can tell you one thing, some high tech jobs will be coming with those high tech tanks. You know what? Georgians should be glad to see jobs coming to GA. Why all the hate? This is West Central GA time, so rejoice with us. Yea, I can tell, a large number of cities were glad they were not Columbus. I know if I the mayor of another city I would be saying things like. Boy we should are happy those 30,000 or so jobs aren't coming in the near future to our area. Man I'm glad our local university has not grown as fast as that school in Columbus. Thank God the companies that are already here are not expanding. The gall of Columbus to think regionally, what's wrong with them? Don't they know that that kind of thinking will do? Gulp... it's going to cause massive growth in industry and population. Yep, it sure is bad thing to be Columbus and West Central GA right about now.
Amen!

Old 07-10-2008, 07:04 AM

84 posts, read 105,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
Dude, give it up. Fort Benning is the largest employer in the state. Your comments are so asinine that I look forward to reading what you might possibly say next!

And Columbus Georgia's largest employer is their school system.
That pretty much sums it up.
You folks deserve to live in the mess you have made.
30-40k jobs?
Columbus's top ten employers barely cover that. rofl

Old 07-10-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post

Vital part of the community?
Columbus would be no better off than Albany if not for Ft Benning.
The city continues to try to leech off of other cities successes to no avail and with nothing tangible to promote.
Columbus wants to take credit for a troop realignment they had nothing to do with.
As I said before Columbus can in no way handle this amount of people especially in the job market or school system.
Good luck down there!!

Old 07-10-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:

the aflac employees 4,100 people

tsys employees 4,300 people

st. francis hospital employees 1,470 people

synovus employees 1,021

columbus regional healthcare employees 2,700 people

blue cross blue shield of georgia employees 1,540 people

pezold management employees 1,500

columbus consolidated government employees 2,650

muscogee county school district employees 6,000 people

and the last one and the big one fort benning us army civilian employees only 9,047 people

TOTAL----34,328
And Columbus can hardly support this many people!!
Now I see why you work in Atlanta.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Vital part of the community?
Columbus would be no better off than Albany if not for Ft Benning.
The city continues to try to leech off of other cities successes to no avail and with nothing tangible to promote.
Columbus wants to take credit for a troop realignment they had nothing to do with.
As I said before Columbus can in no way handle this amount of people especially in the job market or school system.
Good luck down there!!
That is no different than saying where would Atlanta be if it wasn't for Hartfield or the interstate system. Your arguement makes no sense.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
That is no different than saying where would Atlanta be if it wasn't for Hartfield or the interstate system. Your arguement makes no sense.
Probably not as skylines seem more important to you. lol
Good luck down there as you really have a mess on your hands.
We won't hold our breath over your new found success.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Probably not as skylines seem more important to you. lol
Good luck down there as you really have a mess on your hands.
We won't hold our breath over your new found success.
Actually, it's smooth sailing down here with all of the growth that is happening now and in the future. Things sure look bright
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA