Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2014, 07:11 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,071,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustBeltOptimist View Post
While the labor force is cyclical, there's been a significant drop this year. That chart you linked doesn't quite show the big picture over the last year like this one does:

Civilian Labor Force in Columbus, OH (MSA) - FRED - St. Louis Fed

It's clear if you look at the year ago numbers when Columbus's labor force peaked in September 2013 at 994,419 whereas it's currently at 982,925. While the labor force is still above any year besides 2013, it's clearly lower than it was last year.
I'm not sure it matters that much, though. December 2013 ended higher than January 2013. December 2014 looks to end higher than January 2014, and perhaps higher than either December or January 2013. The long term trend is up even if it is off from its short-term peak. Your link is smoothed out, so it doesn't show peaks and valleys and you don't really see cyclical trends like that, but they happen every single year.

The other important point is that the labor force is significantly higher now than during and even pre-recession. This is significantly more healthy than many other metros nationally, which either remain well below their pre-recession peaks or are only just now catching up.

One other note... when it comes to total jobs, they are most certainly up. The cyclical peak for them came mid-2014, which was higher than at any time in 2013, and the year should average above 2013 and all years previously. So really, I think you may be trying to find a problem that, so far, doesn't exist. The unemployment rate is one of the top 10 lowest for major metros in the nation. You can't have that if conditions were in any way bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 07:35 AM

465 posts, read 659,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I'm not sure it matters that much, though. December 2013 ended higher than January 2013. December 2014 looks to end higher than January 2014, and likely higher than either December or January 2013. The long term trend is up even if it is off from its short-term peak. Your link is smoothed out, so it doesn't show peaks and valleys and you don't really see cyclical trends like that, but they happen every single year.

The other important point is that the labor force is significantly higher now than during and even pre-recession. This is significantly more healthy than many other metros nationally, which either remain well below their pre-recession peaks or are only just now catching up.

One other note... when it comes to total jobs, they are most certainly up. The cyclical peak for them came mid-2014, which was higher than at any time in 2013, and the year should average above 2013 and all years previously. So really, I think you may be trying to find a problem that, so far, doesn't exist. The unemployment rate is one of the top 10 lowest for major metros in the nation. You can't have that if conditions were in any way bad.
I never said conditions were in any way bad. In fact, read my first reply where I said the opposite. That I agreed with the pundit that said not to be concerned at all by the year over year net job loss. Columbus' net economy is still very solid. It's you who's seemingly trying to find a problem with me and with what I say. My only problem is that the article you linked was itself was misleading and indicating that the labor force was expanding when that's not the case.

Compare that article with this one from Cincinnati, the same conditions exist with dropping unemployment and dropping jobs, but instead of sugar coating or denying the accompanying drop in labor force which that means, it acknowledges it, even in the headline:

Cincinnati unemployment rate hits lowest point in six years, but there?s a catch - Cincinnati Business Courier

It's also the same case that the overall economy is sound there, but both cities did not attract enough incoming labor force over the summer to outnumber the dropping retirees and others leaving. Cleveland barely did. Ohio as a whole is still having big issues in this regard, and my own theory for the main reason the three major newspapers aren't reporting it is for political purposes given all the statewide elections this year.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I never said conditions were in any way bad. In fact, read my first reply where I said the opposite. That I agreed with the pundit that said not to be concerned at all by the year over year net job loss. Columbus' net economy is still very solid. It's you who's seemingly trying to find a problem with me and with what I say. My only problem is that the article you linked was itself was misleading and indicating that the labor force was expanding when that's not the case.

Compare that article with this one from Cincinnati, the same conditions exist with dropping unemployment and dropping jobs, but instead of sugar coating or denying the accompanying drop in labor force which that means, it acknowledges it, even in the headline:

Cincinnati unemployment rate hits lowest point in six years, but there?s a catch - Cincinnati Business Courier

It's also the same case that the overall economy is sound there, but both cities did not attract enough incoming labor force over the summer to outnumber the dropping retirees and others leaving. Cleveland barely did. Ohio as a whole is still having big issues in this regard, and my own theory for the main reason the three major newspapers aren't reporting it is for political purposes given all the statewide elections this year.
The article didn't say the labor force was expanding, though, so your post was attempting to correct a claim that was never made.

Cincinnati also has the same cyclical trends that Columbus does.. or Cleveland or the majority of major metros nationally. This isn't really news. However, in Cincinnati's case, the labor force remains below the pre-recession peak, which is not the case at all in Columbus. So I can see more of a caveat being discussed with Cincinnati's labor force numbers (or the economy in general) than Columbus'.

The newspapers don't have to report it. Anyone with an internet connection can pull up jobs numbers in Ohio. It's not a secret. Ohio overall is still in recovery from the recession, while its major cities, or at least the 3-Cs, are doing better than the average there.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:03 PM

Walrus bar coming to East Main from owners of Tavern and Corner Stone Craft Beer - Columbus - Columbus Business First

A new music venue is coming to 143 E. Main Street Downtown.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:32 PM

465 posts, read 659,117 times
Directly quoting the article:

Quote:
LaFayette’s work showed the labor force grew by 4,800 workers, and that 6,400 people found employment.

But his numbers show that employers cut jobs for the past four months, including 2,500 jobs last month.
I'm not sure how that doesn't make the claim that the labor force grew since that's exactly what it says. I don't know what exactly "LaFayette's work" is referring to, but I'm guessing that whatever those labor force numbers are for would be solidly backed given his background, but the article strips out a lot of context to make it look like it's still talking about what's happened in Columbus over one month, which almost certainly can't be the case given that we only have the BLS data to go by and it doesn't show a growing labor force.

So please, I'm really not making it up that the article says that the labor force grew, and would leave a misleading interpretation to others that it grew if they didn't take the time to look up the BLS stats. More people will just trust the paper than look things up like we do. Still, though, I don't want this to be interpreted as me being down on Columbus at all, just articles that paint too rosy a picture and leave important context out.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:22 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,429,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
White Castle site in Short North eyed by Borror for retail, apartment redevelopment - Columbus - Columbus Business First

And more development news for the Short North. The old White Castle at 965 N. High will be replaced with a mixed-use development. No word on how tall the project would be or exactly how many units, but the project would include residential above retail shops as well as an expanded White Castle.
Whoa! Never would've guessed I'd see this happening on the horizon. The only other place I can think of which I would've preferred by a hair would be the UDF which has that ugly fenced off lot adjoined to the south. Once this is built the walk by the White Castle will be so many times better.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:01 AM

Weinlard Park residents show neighborhood pride with signs | The Columbus Dispatch

Weinland Park got a new welcome sign after the Hollywood-style sign was knocked down by kids. It might make a reappearance sometime in the future, however.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Directly quoting the article:

I'm not sure how that doesn't make the claim that the labor force grew since that's exactly what it says. I don't know what exactly "LaFayette's work" is referring to, but I'm guessing that whatever those labor force numbers are for would be solidly backed given his background, but the article strips out a lot of context to make it look like it's still talking about what's happened in Columbus over one month, which almost certainly can't be the case given that we only have the BLS data to go by and it doesn't show a growing labor force.

So please, I'm really not making it up that the article says that the labor force grew, and would leave a misleading interpretation to others that it grew if they didn't take the time to look up the BLS stats. More people will just trust the paper than look things up like we do. Still, though, I don't want this to be interpreted as me being down on Columbus at all, just articles that paint too rosy a picture and leave important context out.
You're right, I did miss that part of the article when I originally read it.

However, that claim was made by a private economics firm and not the BLS, so I wouldn't take it too seriously. Labor force is likely down from its peak, but my point remains that, historically, this happens every year and doesn't indicate any longer-term trends. If it continues to fall next year, maybe it will, but I don't see that happening without a larger downturn in the national economy.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:07 AM

Upgrades planned for Alum Creek park | The Columbus Dispatch

Alum Creek Park will see upgrades to its facilities.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
Whoa! Never would've guessed I'd see this happening on the horizon. The only other place I can think of which I would've preferred by a hair would be the UDF which has that ugly fenced off lot adjoined to the south. Once this is built the walk by the White Castle will be so many times better.
White Castle to

A few more details... The project calls for a "multiple-story" building (hopefully more than 5), and the White Castle will seat 60 with a modern design that will be open to the outdoors. Plans will be submitted by the end of the year.

The UDF has an expiration date. It's only a matter of time for such a prime lot as empty lots are almost gone. It was mentioned in an article not that long ago that once the easy sites are gone, the single-story stuff is going to start getting replaced.

Last edited by jbcmh81; 10-25-2014 at 07:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus