Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2014, 07:15 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,071,077 times

Advertisements

Muslims welcome West Side mosque | The Columbus Dispatch

I'm sure this might get the xenophobes riled up, but the article is more about the exploding population of people from the ME and Africa around Columbus. Africa represents about 60% of all new foreign immigrants... and no, they're not all from Somalia, which is actually a decreasing immigrant group in recent years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 07:20 AM

Glowing windows latest step in restoring St. Leo

And a historic church in Merion Village is being restored.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:48 PM

Going Home to Columbus - The Atlantic

Yet another positive article highlighting Columbus this month from The Atlantic. This time, it focuses more on small business collaboration.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...zzword/381580/

And another...

Last edited by jbcmh81; 10-25-2014 at 01:00 PM..

Old 10-25-2014, 02:28 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,429,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
White Castle to

A few more details... The project calls for a "multiple-story" building (hopefully more than 5), and the White Castle will seat 60 with a modern design that will be open to the outdoors. Plans will be submitted by the end of the year.

The UDF has an expiration date. It's only a matter of time for such a prime lot as empty lots are almost gone. It was mentioned in an article not that long ago that once the easy sites are gone, the single-story stuff is going to start getting replaced.
5 story buildings going into both sites would basically cover the largest gaps in the Short North. I wonder if anyone, especially Dispatch commentators, have noticed that the Short North hasn't fallen apart with the parking lots lost in recent years, but is thriving without them. This should be used anytime someone complains about the need for parking lots in an urban business district to put that argument to rest.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:44 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,662 times
I'm looking forward to the day that the hideous Family Dollar goes. Ditto for the loan place. There are certainly places for business like that, but not as standalones.

Mplsite, they probably haven't noticed from their perches in Pataskala, or wherever the hell they live.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
I'm looking forward to the day that the hideous Family Dollar goes. Ditto for the loan place. There are certainly places for business like that, but not as standalones.

Mplsite, they probably haven't noticed from their perches in Pataskala, or wherever the hell they live.
Pretty much almost everyone who drives complains about parking sooner or later. I think it's long been a cultural expectation in the US that parking for cars should abundant, cheap and/or free. Most simply don't seem to understand that urban neighborhoods like the Short North were built during a time when the car was not the dominant form of transit, and that without mass alterations (aka bulldozing) to the footprint of these areas, they will absolutely never be able to accommodate all the people that think they have a constitutional right to a parking space close to where they're going. The Short North is not a Hilliard Wal-Mart.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:32 AM

Construction Roundup: October 2014 – Part 1 | ColumbusUnderground.com

Part 1 of October's construction roundup on ongoing projects.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:33 AM

The 5 Coolest New Parks and Public Spaces In the U.S.

Columbus Commons/Scioto Mile got a shout out as one of the best new parks in the nation.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:49 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,244,793 times
Quote:
Downtown Columbus Bowling Alley - Eat. Drink. Roll.

Apparently Downtown is getting a bowling alley come 2015, but I have no idea where.
Hopefully that's something like Strike City in Charlotte...home of the Charlotte Buckeyes (Alumni Club gamewatch location...when I lived in the Queen City, I helped the club get into that venue when it opened.). It's a really cool bowling alley but it's part of a great entertainment center next to the main downtown light rail station.

Strike City | Eat. Bowl. Play.

It's part of this development... Welcome | EPICENTRE | Charlotte, NC | Family Fun, Dining, Nightlife, Shopping, and More!

Quote:
Proposal Would Redevelop Two Long-Vacant Campus Apartment Buildings | ColumbusUnderground.com

A historic, but long-vacant apartment building at 1509 N. High Street, along with a historic row house directly behind it on W. 9th Avenue, would be renovated and turned into residential under a new proposal. Along with the renovations, a new garage would be built behind the buildings that would connect the two.

This project would be directly across the street from where the proposed expansion would happen for the South Campus Gateway, which is still going through the planning and rezoning stages. The proposal calls for over 500 new residential units and thousands of square feet of retail and office space in a mix of 4-10 story buildings.

I think they were boarded up when I was an OSU student back in late 1990s to 2001.

Quote:
The 5 Coolest New Parks and Public Spaces In the U.S.

Columbus Commons/Scioto Mile got a shout out as one of the best new parks in the nation.

Both Cincy and Columbus getting shout outs for new parks...though Smale Riverfront Park in Cincy I think is going to be nicer than Washington Park.

Columbus Commons is certainly deserving.

Now Cleveland needs to get going on the Public Square remake and get their name in here too.

Last edited by Yac; 10-28-2014 at 05:38 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged

Old 10-27-2014, 03:56 PM

465 posts, read 659,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Both Cincy and Columbus getting shout outs for new parks...though Smale Riverfront Park in Cincy I think is going to be nicer than Washington Park.

Columbus Commons is certainly deserving.

Now Cleveland needs to get going on the Public Square remake and get their name in here too.
Yeah, I wasn't sure why an urban pundit that shall go nameless attacked the Commons a while back. What both it and Washington Park have going for them are that they are just really well positioned as urban gathering spaces with a great ambience for whatever activities are going on in them. I really don't know if Smale will approach the transformative impact these other parks have had simply because the game's already been changed. I think it's more of a tourist/visitor park while Columbus Commons and Washington Park are more local-centric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus