Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2015, 07:23 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,429,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
Three (Four) questions:

Where the heck is Lockbourne Road?

Why the heck should I care as this is not close to the only street in Columbus? (um, FYI, this isn't a one stop light town compared to MSP's two... oh, that's actually one for Minneapolis and the other for Saint Paul, right? )

Is this even relevant to the purpose of this particular thread?

While I know I'm probably feeding a troll, let's just say that those could or could not be rhetorical in nature.
1 - The Google Maps link has a streetview of Lockbourne.

2 - It's a typical major urban corridor in Columbus unlike atypica N High St which is an exception. Most major urban corridors in Columbus resemble Lockbourne, not N High.

3- This is a catchall Columbus development thread and these are developments which have occurred in the city:: doesn't matter if you care or not or would rather pretend that this is not Columbus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 10:24 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
1 - The Google Maps link has a streetview of Lockbourne.

2 - It's a typical major urban corridor in Columbus unlike atypica N High St which is an exception. Most major urban corridors in Columbus resemble Lockbourne, not N High.

3- This is a catchall Columbus development thread and these are developments which have occurred in the city:: doesn't matter if you care or not or would rather pretend that this is not Columbus.
Lockbourne Road is largely a manufacturing area along with old commercial buildings and scattered low income housing. I know, because I used to work off of Lockbourne. It is absolutely not "typical" of a Columbus urban corridor. I'm simply shocked you would be dishonest and hyperbolic. Shocked, I say!

You didn't post about development, you posted about an incident of crime. Learn the difference.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:48 PM

It's a new business, which is a new development as is the new restaurant. It's not my fault a shooting occurred at the former and that I couldn't help make light of the establishment's choice in name. Lockbourne Rd is in fact typical of urban corridors in Columbus; that's the rule, not the exception. Unless Google Maps is acting on my behalf in a conspiracy to make Columbus look bad, it's true and easily verifiable with a few simple clicks (well, more than a few since there are more than a few crappy urban corridors).

Most actually are dominated by derelict commercial structures and low-income housing to varying degrees and are within the vicinity of an industrial area, if not bordering one directly: Parsons (Columbus Castings), S High, Sullivant (Columbus Coal & Lime: notice the joke sharrows where you're expected to ride in the lone lane in front of 35 MPH+ motorized traffic and total lack of cyclists who think it's a joke too), W Broad, E Main (Holtzman-Main industrial area), E 5th (note the lack of people willing to bike in 50MPH traffic and lock up to a bike rack at a bike-co-op in a decidedly bike-hostile area), Cleveland Ave (Akzo Nobel Coatings), and E Livingston (more on development here in a bit).

Funny, nothing at all I said was hyperbolic when the reality of all of these major urban corridors absolves me of such an outlandish accusation and thanks to the magic of Google Maps each link provides a streetview within pre-annexation boundaries on what is the very sad state of most major urban corridors in Columbus. Just take it in and laugh at the ridiculous spin that will be the gift that jbcmh81 will no doubt bestow upon us shortly. I'll just preemptively mention the fact that despite newer development on Parsons (.2 miles revitalized between Dragon One and Carabar, .1 mile from Livingston to South Ln next to Alchemy Juice Bar, and 100 ft for Tatoheads Public House) doesn't make up for the fact that roughly 2.5 miles of the rest of it still fits the depressing reality I linked to previously, i.e. virtually nothing for visitors or nearby residents.

Old 11-13-2015, 07:09 PM

Speaking of E Livingston, there is a proposed recovery center for drug and alcohol addicts in the old Livingston Theatre space. Actually, there are numerous such structures dotting this stretch of Livingston: hard to imagine when those were active and likely neighbored by several restaurants and bars catering to theatre-goers. What's funny is that the city had no problem spending $7 million to renovate the library on Livingston, but won't spend a dime to improve commercial structures on this street to actually get revitalization started: not even a program to match funds for facade renovations. Fast forward to over a year later and all this district can get for that $7 million investment is an addiction recovery center as a (very predictable) result. Maybe city leaders will find out about this little district in Columbus called the "Short North" where it fixed up the existing commercial structures first before moving on to residential in its trajectory towards becoming a healthy area, since the public library up on the northern end did nothing to fix the area: shocking, I know. I hear it's doing OK for having taken that route instead and even has a couple of galleries, bars, and restaurants too.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:35 AM

Quote:
It's a new business, which is a new development as is the new restaurant. It's not my fault a shooting occurred at the former and that I couldn't help make light of the establishment's choice in name. Lockbourne Rd is in fact typical of urban corridors in Columbus; that's the rule, not the exception. Unless Google Maps is acting on my behalf in a conspiracy to make Columbus look bad, it's true and easily verifiable with a few simple clicks (well, more than a few since there are more than a few crappy urban corridors).

Most actually are dominated by derelict commercial structures and low-income housing to varying degrees and are within the vicinity of an industrial area, if not bordering one directly: Parsons (Columbus Castings), S High, Sullivant (Columbus Coal & Lime: notice the joke sharrows where you're expected to ride in the lone lane in front of 35 MPH+ motorized traffic and total lack of cyclists who think it's a joke too), W Broad, E Main (Holtzman-Main industrial area), E 5th (note the lack of people willing to bike in 50MPH traffic and lock up to a bike rack at a bike-co-op in a decidedly bike-hostile area), Cleveland Ave (Akzo Nobel Coatings), and E Livingston (more on development here in a bit).

Funny, nothing at all I said was hyperbolic when the reality of all of these major urban corridors absolves me of such an outlandish accusation and thanks to the magic of Google Maps each link provides a streetview within pre-annexation boundaries on what is the very sad state of most major urban corridors in Columbus. Just take it in and laugh at the ridiculous spin that will be the gift that jbcmh81 will no doubt bestow upon us shortly. I'll just preemptively mention the fact that despite newer development on Parsons (.2 miles revitalized between Dragon One and Carabar, .1 mile from Livingston to South Ln next to Alchemy Juice Bar, and 100 ft for Tatoheads Public House) doesn't make up for the fact that roughly 2.5 miles of the rest of it still fits the depressing reality I linked to previously, i.e. virtually nothing for visitors or nearby residents.
You have never gone out of your way to mention any development or new business on its own merits. Literally the only reason you mentioned this business at all was an excuse to mention criminal activity in an area you believe is representative of the city as a whole. As the saying goes, a leopard doesn't change his stripes, and you have not changed your modus operandi.

Your conclusion is, as usual, ridiculous and relies and your personal view that all of Columbus is a total sh**hole.

But hey, it still attracts more millennials than where you live, so what does that say about that place?

Old 11-14-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Speaking of E Livingston, there is a proposed recovery center for drug and alcohol addicts in the old Livingston Theatre space. Actually, there are numerous such structures dotting this stretch of Livingston: hard to imagine when those were active and likely neighbored by several restaurants and bars catering to theatre-goers. What's funny is that the city had no problem spending $7 million to renovate the library on Livingston, but won't spend a dime to improve commercial structures on this street to actually get revitalization started: not even a program to match funds for facade renovations. Fast forward to over a year later and all this district can get for that $7 million investment is an addiction recovery center as a (very predictable) result. Maybe city leaders will find out about this little district in Columbus called the "Short North" where it fixed up the existing commercial structures first before moving on to residential in its trajectory towards becoming a healthy area, since the public library up on the northern end did nothing to fix the area: shocking, I know. I hear it's doing OK for having taken that route instead and even has a couple of galleries, bars, and restaurants too.
If the commercial structures are privately owned, why would the city spend public dollars renovating them?

The city did not spend money fixing up commercial buildings in the Short North, that was private owners like the Woods Companies back in the 1980s. The only thing the city is directly responsible for is infrastructure. You know this but lie anyway.

More shocking falsehoods from you.

Meanwhile, how many more millennials moved to Columbus while you were doing the usual song and dance?

Old 11-14-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
You have never gone out of your way to mention any development or new business on its own merits. Literally the only reason you mentioned this business at all was an excuse to mention criminal activity in an area you believe is representative of the city as a whole. As the saying goes, a leopard doesn't change his stripes, and you have not changed your modus operandi.

Your conclusion is, as usual, ridiculous and relies and your personal view that all of Columbus is a total sh**hole.

But hey, it still attracts more millennials than where you live, so what does that say about that place?
I don't have to go out of my way to do anything; it's not a requirement to post here either. My conclusion is based on facts, not boosterism, which in this case does not coincide with facts. You can choose your own opnion, but you cannot choose your own facts. How much of urban Columbus is good urbanism? Ask that question for each side of the city and your left with only one side largely good: the north. The much larger portions of urban Columbus: northeast, east, west, and south, are largely bad urbanism and easily add up to more sq mi than German Village to Clintonville and a couple pockets of OTE and Franklinton. This truth is reflected in how many more miles of depressed major urban corridors there are vs healthy ones. N High and W 5th are vastly outnumbered and are the exception. This is just an indisputable fact.

Most of urban Columbus is by definition a sh**thole by just about any metric you'd like to use. You're the only one here convinced otherwise. Does Columbus have some good urbanism? Yes, but just not nearly as much as it should for a city that is as prosperous as it is. I'm sure you've posted numerous top ten lists about Columbus re: economy and jobs. Most of urban Columbus apparently didn't get the memo that they're supposed to be doing much better. Maybe you can go over there and inform them?

You're using the word "attracted" very loosely. Young Ohioans, Kentuckians, Michiganders, Hoosiers, and West Virginians desperately escaping dying small towns and cities who are grasping for the nearest city with good job opportunities, which would be Columbus in this scenario, is not comparable to mobile young people with a decent education and job seeking to move around the country and find a city that fits them better. Where Millennials do exist in Columbus you can bet they're not found in most of urban Columbus. Unless there's been an overnight explosion of record stores, bike shops, third wave coffee shops, fusion food trucks, and craft breweries on Sullivant, Cleveland, Lockbourne, et al, then no, most of urban Columbus is dying and Millennial-less and the city doesn't care to change that. And no, another hundred jbcmh81 posts of boosterism for Columbus won't change that either, but maybe two hundred more and that'll put Cambria Addition at the edge of being the next Millennial hotspot with Groveport Rd looking like a miniature Short North.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
If the commercial structures are privately owned, why would the city spend public dollars renovating them?
I know I was told by numerous teachers that there's no such thing as a dumb question, but if that's true then this one is as close as it gets to breaking that rule. Why would the city spend public dollars renovating them? Are you serious? Umm, where do I even start. Just off the top of my head: to make these districts decent places for local homeowners who have a stake in their local neighborhood, to encourage more entrepreneurs to locate in the urban heart of the city and add good jobs, to give out-of-state visitors more attractive and walkable business districts to spend their money when they come to Columbus, to strengthen the local economies of other sides of the urban core, to be competitive with the best 2nd tier cities in the nation, to reduce the amount of crime by replacing crime magnets with functional, not dysfunctional, business districts, but in short, because spending the money to plant the seed for revitalization will pay for itself in the end and benefit all Columbus citizens directly or indirectly.

Quote:
The city did not spend money fixing up commercial buildings in the Short North, that was private owners like the Woods Companies back in the 1980s. The only thing the city is directly responsible for is infrastructure. You know this but lie anyway.

More shocking falsehoods from you.
Here's that quote again, now can you or anyone else quote precisely where I said that the city spent money to fix commercial buildings in the Short North? "Maybe city leaders will find out about this little district in Columbus called the "Short North" where it fixed up the existing commercial structures first before moving on to residential in its trajectory towards becoming a healthy area, since the public library up on the northern end did nothing to fix the area: shocking, I know. I hear it's doing OK for having taken that route instead and even has a couple of galleries, bars, and restaurants too."

Q: Where did I say that? A: Nowhere. That makes you an outright liar. I did, however, advocate for the city to be the one to step in and do what the Short North did. That's all that quote says.

Now while I finish a lovely cappuccino at Five Watt, just one of a handful of businesses to open in the past four years and transform this half-blighted intersection, go enjoy touring all of your non-transformed blighted Columbus streets that I linked to previously linked to. Meanwhile where I'm sitting the other transformations of blighted structures here now include: an izakaya, a Chinese restaurant, a couple of salons, a butcher shop, and a modern diner, which combined give people real reasons to specifically head out here now that there's more than just what was here before and still is: a MetroPCS, a Boost Moblle, and a food shelf. Our city with its Neighborhood Revitalization Program previously spent money according to how neighborhood groups wanted it spent and fixing up its urban corridors/commercial districts was prioritized and so public money was spent to fix these places up for desirable businesses to move in. Clearly, that was just stupid, because who in Columbus would want any of those places in their neighborhood?

38th St is our "Parsons Ave": a long mostly residential south side corridor dotted with numerous commercial nodes that unlike Parsons, is now nowhere near as iffy as it was just four years ago with even more missing links having been filled in from the four years before that including a brand new co-op grocery store that opened up a handful of blocks east of here in the low-income Bryant neighborhood which previously had little except for another food shelf, a couple of barber shops, and a dumpy corner market. Speaking of food shelves, a pet food shelf recently opened on 38th and Bloomington to help low-income residents keep their pets instead of having to give them up.

All of 38th has seen a resurgence, not just a couple of tiny dinky pockets like your pathetic Parsons. Where is Parson's abandoned drive-thru turned diner (different from the one mentioned earlier) w/ garden and large solar roof, let alone any other new places to match toe to toe the number of new establishments which have opened here in the past 4 years? What, your city of 800,000 can't even match a city half its size at 400,000? No, it clearly can't. Keep in mind that several blocks of the middle part of 38th was where shootings and stabbings used to be common; guess I should be jealous that Parsons has more authentic grit and crime, but somehow, I'm not. I'll take the coffee shop playing Sleater-Kinney and The Sundays with mixology inspired creations in Minneapolis over the dilapidated structure in Columbus that's either vacant or housing a shady carryout or bar. Cearly,spending public money to fix private commercial properties was a huge boondoggle. I've got an art show to go to in a new gallery Downtown and then a brand-spanking new craft brewery that just opened for thousands of us non-existent Millennials, because none of us go to those places. Clearly, such places only exist to serve all of the Millennials only who live in Columbus, not Minneapolis.

Last edited by Mplsite; 11-14-2015 at 06:03 PM..

Old 11-14-2015, 05:51 PM

Couple Excited to Build New Home in East Franklinton, Ahead of Big Developers | ColumbusUnderground.com

A new 3-story single family home has been approved for 509 W. Chapel Street in East Franklinton. The home will even have a small retail space.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
I don't have to go out of my way to do anything; it's not a requirement to post here either. My conclusion is based on facts, not boosterism, which in this case does not coincide with facts. You can choose your own opnion, but you cannot choose your own facts. How much of urban Columbus is good urbanism? Ask that question for each side of the city and your left with only one side largely good: the north. The much larger portions of urban Columbus: northeast, east, west, and south, are largely bad urbanism and easily add up to more sq mi than German Village to Clintonville and a couple pockets of OTE and Franklinton. This truth is reflected in how many more miles of depressed major urban corridors there are vs healthy ones. N High and W 5th are vastly outnumbered and are the exception. This is just an indisputable fact.

Most of urban Columbus is by definition a sh**thole by just about any metric you'd like to use. You're the only one here convinced otherwise. Does Columbus have some good urbanism? Yes, but just not nearly as much as it should for a city that is as prosperous as it is. I'm sure you've posted numerous top ten lists about Columbus re: economy and jobs. Most of urban Columbus apparently didn't get the memo that they're supposed to be doing much better. Maybe you can go over there and inform them?

You're using the word "attracted" very loosely. Young Ohioans, Kentuckians, Michiganders, Hoosiers, and West Virginians desperately escaping dying small towns and cities who are grasping for the nearest city with good job opportunities, which would be Columbus in this scenario, is not comparable to mobile young people with a decent education and job seeking to move around the country and find a city that fits them better. Where Millennials do exist in Columbus you can bet they're not found in most of urban Columbus. Unless there's been an overnight explosion of record stores, bike shops, third wave coffee shops, fusion food trucks, and craft breweries on Sullivant, Cleveland, Lockbourne, et al, then no, most of urban Columbus is dying and Millennial-less and the city doesn't care to change that. And no, another hundred jbcmh81 posts of boosterism for Columbus won't change that either, but maybe two hundred more and that'll put Cambria Addition at the edge of being the next Millennial hotspot with Groveport Rd looking like a miniature Short North.
It chaps your butt so bad that the census numbers didn't support you. The fact is that you can trash Columbus 365 days a year (you practically do already) and it doesn't matter. Columbus is growing faster now than at any point in its history, even including the big annexation years, and Millennials are flocking there in significantly greater numbers than your hipster paradise. I love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus