Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2017, 04:45 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,071,077 times

Advertisements

Livingston Theater site may be reborn with senior housing | The Columbus Dispatch

The old Livingston Theater at 1567 E. Livingston Avenue in the Old Oaks neighborhood will be converted into a 3-story, 45-unit senior residential building. The original façade and lobby of the theater will be preserved. Nothing else of the theater remains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 02:16 PM

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/...entine-in.html

The Florentine restaurant at 907 W. Broad Street in Franklinton, which recently closed after 71 years, will likely become another restaurant as part of a larger mixed-use project that will also include the redevelopment of its surface parking lot. No further details are available yet.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:19 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,429,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Livingston Theater site may be reborn with senior housing | The Columbus Dispatch

The old Livingston Theater at 1567 E. Livingston Avenue in the Old Oaks neighborhood will be converted into a 3-story, 45-unit senior residential building. The original façade and lobby of the theater will be preserved. Nothing else of the theater remains.
Senior housing with nothing within walking distance. We are that developers are willing and able to build on Livingston and Main, but only as long as it's residential. Unfortunately, that's because the elderly here have no say in the matter and the developers likely see the inclusion of storefronts to be too risky ( I mean, look at the fiasco that Bollinger Tower was by giving seniors the freedom to walk to destinations). The city should be stepping in to provide incentives for there to be walkable businesses near old folks' homes as the rule, not the exception.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:28 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,429,961 times
With the closing of these stores comes the rare opportunity to build well designed urban stores in their place, particularly at the Neil Ave location serving Victorian Village and Harrison West. I doubt we'll see smart development on the Hilliard-Rome or 161 sites even though the city should start somewhere in these areas that are very lacking in any sort of walkability.

Giant Eagle to close three Columbus area stores | NBC4i.com

Old 01-08-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
With the closing of these stores comes the rare opportunity to build well designed urban stores in their place, particularly at the Neil Ave location serving Victorian Village and Harrison West. I doubt we'll see smart development on the Hilliard-Rome or 161 sites even though the city should start somewhere in these areas that are very lacking in any sort of walkability.

Giant Eagle to close three Columbus area stores | NBC4i.com
So I take it your New Year's resolution was NOT to try to be more positive this year.

Why would another grocery store, even an urban-concept one, build on the Neil Avenue spot when the newer and much larger one at Grandview Yard would cannibalize the business? That's why that one is closing. No other grocery chain, large or small, is going to want to go in there. Sure, it's currently convenient for some of the local residents, but a grocery store doesn't just rely on walk-in customers within a 5-block radius. What's far more likely is some kind of mixed-use project with a retail element gets built there, but you're not going to see a grocery store back in that location. At best, you might see some kind of specialty product store, but I don't think that's likely, either.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
Senior housing with nothing within walking distance. We are that developers are willing and able to build on Livingston and Main, but only as long as it's residential. Unfortunately, that's because the elderly here have no say in the matter and the developers likely see the inclusion of storefronts to be too risky ( I mean, look at the fiasco that Bollinger Tower was by giving seniors the freedom to walk to destinations). The city should be stepping in to provide incentives for there to be walkable businesses near old folks' homes as the rule, not the exception.

I would like to see retail included as well, and that's my one criticism of this, but I think that, once again, you're missing the positive overall to focus on the negative. This is a project that provides new residents to an area that needs them, maintains some historic elements of an existing building and raises the profile, however slightly, of the corridor.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:52 PM

120 Units of Affordable Housing Planned for Vacant Lots on South Side | ColumbusUnderground.com

Here are some planned Near South Side projects that include mixed-use elements, including retail.
Included is a 62-unit, 3-story at Washington and Barthman, and a 60-unit, 4-story at Washington and Reeb, both of these facing Parsons.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:19 PM

90 posts, read 111,086 times
Quote:
Why would another grocery store, even an urban-concept one, build on the Neil Avenue spot when the newer and much larger one at Grandview Yard would cannibalize the business? That's why that one is closing. No other grocery chain, large or small, is going to want to go in there. Sure, it's currently convenient for some of the local residents, but a grocery store doesn't just rely on walk-in customers within a 5-block radius. What's far more likely is some kind of mixed-use project with a retail element gets built there, but you're not going to see a grocery store back in that location. At best, you might see some kind of specialty product store, but I don't think that's likely, either.
Really? The demographics of VV and the SN are extremely attractive. The Neil Ave location may not have made sense any longer for GE, but I'd imagine many other grocers will be looking at the space.

If they are not precluded from taking it by any lease restrictions/shenanigans GE may or may not be able to impose, I could easily see something along the lines of Lucky's, Fresh Thyme, Fresh Market, Earth Fare, Whole Foods, or even Trader Joe's occupying it relatively quickly.

The space is basically move-in ready, in a very strong location, with ample parking. From CASTO's point of view, this is probably one of their strongest retail centers, so I doubt they will be looking to tear down and redevelop it just yet when they will likely be able to lease it quickly and continue basically printing money.

You may be right too, of course, but only time will tell...

We all can probably agree that the sites on 161 and H-R are much more challenging.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainclipper View Post
Really? The demographics of VV and the SN are extremely attractive. The Neil Ave location may not have made sense any longer for GE, but I'd imagine many other grocers will be looking at the space.

If they are not precluded from taking it by any lease restrictions/shenanigans GE may or may not be able to impose, I could easily see something along the lines of Lucky's, Fresh Thyme, Fresh Market, Earth Fare, Whole Foods, or even Trader Joe's occupying it relatively quickly.

The space is basically move-in ready, in a very strong location, with ample parking. From CASTO's point of view, this is probably one of their strongest retail centers, so I doubt they will be looking to tear down and redevelop it just yet when they will likely be able to lease it quickly and continue basically printing money.

You may be right too, of course, but only time will tell...

We all can probably agree that the sites on 161 and H-R are much more challenging.

There are 5 grocery stores within a 1-mile radius of this location. Grocery stores have ridiculously small margins- on the order of 1%-2%- so you definitely won't be seeing another big chain go in there, not with that competition. Giant Eagle stayed there longer just because it wasn't competing. As I said, the only option left is some kind of specialty, small-scale grocery like Trader Joe's, but I don't think that's likely. Business First ran an article that suggested a mixed-use development could be possible, but it may depend on the other tenants of the building. To be sure, there's likely to be a retail component with whatever happens, but grocery is probably out of the picture with so many other options nearby. This is not a grocery desert.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:25 PM

90 posts, read 111,086 times
Quote:
There are 5 grocery stores within a 1-mile radius of this location. Grocery stores have ridiculously small margins- on the order of 1%-2%- so you definitely won't be seeing another big chain go in there, not with that competition. Giant Eagle stayed there longer just because it wasn't competing. As I said, the only option left is some kind of specialty, small-scale grocery like Trader Joe's, but I don't think that's likely. Business First ran an article that suggested a mixed-use development could be possible, but it may depend on the other tenants of the building. To be sure, there's likely to be a retail component with whatever happens, but grocery is probably out of the picture with so many other options nearby. This is not a grocery desert.
Take a look at the 1-mile radius drawn around Henderson Rd/Dierker on the NW side. Within that there is a Walmart Supercenter, Giant Eagle, Aldi, 2 Krogers, Marcs, Fresh Market, and several ethnic groceries as well. Grocery stores don't at all mind clustering in the same area when there is a market well-heeled to be served.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus