Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2017, 09:55 AM

57 posts, read 117,673 times

Advertisements

Rogue Fitness Opens Distribution Portion of New facility in Milo-Grogan | ColumbusUnderground.com

While running errands after work yesterday, I took a detour from 670 west to 71 north and got off of 5th Avenue due to an accident on 670 near Neil Ave. Turned west onto the 5th Avenue and noticed the new, huge Rogue Fitness building. I had no idea they were relocating to Milo-Grogan. The building looks fantastic, 5th Avenue had seen some restoration, and the area looks great too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 10:40 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,429,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/...apartment.html

A previously-announced 300-unit mixed-use project for 3636 Indianola Avenue in Clintonville is going to move forward after all. The project will include retail or offices facing Indianola.
While I still don't like the layout behind the frontage on Indianola it is an improvement. Of course, already people are complaining about the additional traffic and the 4-3 lane conversion there too. I saw one LTTE that insisted it be put up to a vote. Both projects will go forward and all will be well. How do I know that? Because I live in a much denser and expansive urban area with twice as much suburban sprawl where we've done a good number of 4-3 conversions: all successful, no doomsday gridlock scenarios.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:52 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
While I still don't like the layout behind the frontage on Indianola it is an improvement. Of course, already people are complaining about the additional traffic and the 4-3 lane conversion there too. I saw one LTTE that insisted it be put up to a vote. Both projects will go forward and all will be well. How do I know that? Because I live in a much denser and expansive urban area with twice as much suburban sprawl where we've done a good number of 4-3 conversions: all successful, no doomsday gridlock scenarios.
Most road diets are derided like that beforehand because most people don't understand how traffic works. They erroneously believe that the best way to deal with traffic is wider roads and more of them, not knowing that "induced demand" actually only causes even more traffic when that happens, rather than less. Reducing lanes reduces traffic in many cases, as people start looking for alternative routes via other, less-busy roads, spreading out traffic across a greater area instead of it all being on a single road. The reduced roads are also safer for everyone, including bikes and at pedestrian crossings.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:45 AM

Franklinton development bringing apartments, retail along Scioto River - News - The Columbus Dispatch - Columbus, OH

New development along the west side of the Scioto River, south of COSI, scheduled to begin very soon.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:29 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
According to the most recent estimates, Franklin County added more than 14K residents 2015-2016 to reach a July 1, 2016 population of 1,264,518. This has officially surpassed Cuyahoga to become Ohio's most populated county.

The entire metro area added more than 20K to reach a population of 2,041,520.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:48 AM

490 posts, read 864,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
According to the most recent estimates, Franklin County added more than 14K residents 2015-2016 to reach a July 1, 2016 population of 1,264,518. This has officially surpassed Cuyahoga to become Ohio's most populated county.

The entire metro area added more than 20K to reach a population of 2,041,520.
Amazing. Do you know how much longer it will be before Franklin County surpasses Cuyahoga County in population density? I know Cuyahoga County is smaller in land size, but with the population growth of Franklin County, I assume it will be denser in a short period of time.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:42 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,101,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbus76 View Post
Amazing. Do you know how much longer it will be before Franklin County surpasses Cuyahoga County in population density? I know Cuyahoga County is smaller in land size, but with the population growth of Franklin County, I assume it will be denser in a short period of time.
To give you a baseline based on 2016 estimates

Franklin County: 1,264,518 people in 532 sq miles, 2376 people per square mile
Cuyahoga County: 1,249,352 people in 457 sq miles, 2733 people per square mile

Old 03-23-2017, 11:56 AM

Not trying to turn this into the usual "Cleveland vs. Columbus" debate, but I don't understand Clevelander's animosity towards Columbus. People always say "never read the comments", but I decided to on cleveland.com's story about Franklin passing Cuyahoga, and you'd think Columbus directly stole their jobs, their people, their lives, etc.

And it's always the same stuff. "State government jobs", "wouldn't be anything without OSU", "annexation" (yet this is not applicable to county stats), "region is still 1 million larger" (with help from Akron/Canton), "strip malls", and on and on and on.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:26 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,101,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osubrett2 View Post
Not trying to turn this into the usual "Cleveland vs. Columbus" debate, but I don't understand Clevelander's animosity towards Columbus. People always say "never read the comments", but I decided to on cleveland.com's story about Franklin passing Cuyahoga, and you'd think Columbus directly stole their jobs, their people, their lives, etc.

And it's always the same stuff. "State government jobs", "wouldn't be anything without OSU", "annexation" (yet this is not applicable to county stats), "region is still 1 million larger" (with help from Akron/Canton), "strip malls", and on and on and on.
I don't think it's all or even most people in Cleveland but here's my opinion.

Cleveland has been the star of the show for a while. In 1960 Cuyahoga County had a population of 1,647,895 compared to a mere 682,962 people in Franklin County. Back then the "Cowtown" moniker for the Columbus metro was probably not too far off.

While Cleveland is still extremely important to the state Columbus is starting to emerge as the new economic and population center of Ohio.

Some people might subconsciously feel that the increasing importance of Columbus devalues Cleveland.

No one wants to see a place they grew up or have grown to love go through hard economic times.

Instead of bashing each other I think we should be happy the three C's are unique and each have their own challenges and positives attributes.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:03 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,375,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
I don't think it's all or even most people in Cleveland but here's my opinion.

Cleveland has been the star of the show for a while. In 1960 Cuyahoga County had a population of 1,647,895 compared to a mere 682,962 people in Franklin County. Back then the "Cowtown" moniker for the Columbus metro was probably not too far off.

While Cleveland is still extremely important to the state Columbus is starting to emerge as the new economic and population center of Ohio.

Some people might subconsciously feel that the increasing importance of Columbus devalues Cleveland.

No one wants to see a place they grew up or have grown to love go through hard economic times.

Instead of bashing each other I think we should be happy the three C's are unique and each have their own challenges and positives attributes.
Msa are very arbitrary and dont tell the whole story.
Columbus msa=10 counties 2million+
Deleware is suburban and mostly rural , the other 8 are mostly rural and farms.
Cleveland. Msa=5 counties 2million +
Summit which includes Cleveland suburbs is excluded. Columbus includes hocking, perry and morrow which are rural and farms.
I know i know commuting paterns. But how many farmers are commuting to columbus?
Msa's are very subjective .
Cleveland (and Cincinnati) have twice the urban core and continuous development of Columbus, and you can basically put 2 columbus' into metro Cleveland or Cincinnati.
And to put things in perspective.
Columbus csa =17 counties 2.3million
Cleveland. Csa =13 counties 3.5 million
Central ohio = 17 counties 2.3+ million
NE ohio= 18 counties 4.3+ million
NE Ohio still has almost half the states population.
Anyone who has had the pleasure of visiting and exploring each of the 3-C's cannot deny the huge difference in size Cleveland metro (and Cincinnati metro) has over columbus. Theres no comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus