Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 10:23 PM

29 posts, read 187,263 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I may possibly be relocating to Columbus in December for a job transfer. I want to find out from a Columbus native, not just someone who will give me a link to look what the weather is like during the winter months. Is the weather comparable to Cincy's, more like Cleveland's, or somewhere in the middle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 12:07 AM

9 posts, read 43,116 times
also curious. came from n.e. ohio to columbus this year. havent been here for winter yet. hopefully there will be less.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:24 AM

2,180 posts, read 5,422,817 times
Columbus winters are more like Cincinnati's as opposed to Cleveland's.

Cleveland is right on the lake, so the temps are generally cooler and there is a LOT more snow in the Winter.

Columbus is smack dab in the middle of the state, and it will generally be a couple of degrees colder than Cincinnati, but the snow isn't all that much of an issue. Maybe a tad more than Cincinnati. There are times when Cincinnati might get hit with a wintry mix of sleet and freezing rain, but Columbus will get all snow out of it. Then there are times when I often find that Cincinnati gets hit with some snow storms that bypass the middle parts of the state. In some recent Winters, I've seen Cincinnati get hammered with snow, while Columbus didn't get anything. But I think last year they got more than we did. So I think it all balances out somehow or another.

I personally wish we would get the snow that Cleveland gets. I'd love it.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:57 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,227,257 times
Actually, I was surprised about how little snow Columbus actually gets. I was there for 13 winters, and for 5 of these I never needed to use my snow shovel. For 3 winters I only shoveled snow no more than twice, and I only remember 2 winters where we really received significant snow storms.

I saw MUCH more snow in Washington DC and Philly. Typical snows in Columbus are those "clipper" systems which drop perhaps an inch during the evening, not enough to even bother shoveling. It is pretty much melted off by noon.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:43 PM

29 posts, read 187,263 times
I personally wish we would get the snow that Cleveland gets. I'd love it.[/quote]

Yeah, I'm one of those people that likes the snow too. Here in Charleston, S.C., there is no such thing as winter. It's funny how people here think it's cold when it's 45 degrees outside. I miss living in a climate where there are actually four distinct seasons. I don't understand why I see so many people from Ohio that move here. Charleston is a good place to visit but I don't really consider it all that great of a place to live but then again I'm still young. Most of people that move here are retirees.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:55 PM

10,179 posts, read 11,168,640 times
I hate snow and Hope we don't get much in the Columbus area.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle-vet22 View Post

Yeah, I'm one of those people that likes the snow too. Here in Charleston, S.C., there is no such thing as winter. It's funny how people here think it's cold when it's 45 degrees outside. I miss living in a climate where there are actually four distinct seasons. I don't understand why I see so many people from Ohio that move here. Charleston is a good place to visit but I don't really consider it all that great of a place to live but then again I'm still young. Most of people that move here are retirees.
I think part of the reason people move away from here is because they plain old don't like the environment. They prefer oceans and mountains (not that I blame them for that), or hot weather year-round. You'll find a LOT of people in Ohio - particularly SW Ohio - that hate Winter. I never could figure that out. I'd think "Well then, why the heck do you live here? " People around here whine and groan when we get one piddly inch of snow. They freak out, close the schools, and traffic crawls along at a snail's pace. Even in the middle of this severe drought, people gripe if it rains for more than a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
I hate snow and Hope we don't get much in the Columbus area.
That's fine. I'll steal it from you if I can. Strange enough, I think they get more snow in SE Indiana and down into Cincinnati than I do here in West Chester, Butler County.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:55 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,673,836 times
Columbus gets far less snow than Cleveland

Old 10-03-2007, 05:28 PM

10,179 posts, read 11,168,640 times
Well what is the average snow fall per season?

I've lived in blizzard areas and dry areas.....So, I don't know much about the winters in the Columbus area....

Old 10-03-2007, 08:49 PM

It's probably around 25"-28" a year, but I doubt in recent years there has been that much snow. Cincinnati's average is supposedly around 20", but it rarely sees that much in one season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus