Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2007, 09:22 AM

570 posts, read 1,820,583 times

Advertisements

I have a Dell computer that I had built at the end of 2005 so it is only a couple of years old. Yesterday, I was on the internet completing an assignment for one of my online classes that was due at midnight and all of a sudden this alert came on that my computer is infected. I can't log on to the internet now and my McAfee Anti-virus software was disable and I can't fix it.

Here is the problem, I called Dell and they told me it would be $129 to search my computer for the virus and remove it. The free option was for them to reinstall all of my programs, but I would loose all my stored data. I just bought a flash-drive to store my most important documents, but didn't get a chance to save them to it.

What is your suggestion, should I pay the $129 to have it fixed? Or is there a better option out there for me? I'm really trying to avoid the method that will caue me to loose all of my files. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 09:38 AM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,032 times
There IS a better and FREE option.

Read this thread and follow the instructions:
//www.city-data.com/forum/techn...r-spyware.html
Liz

Old 10-25-2007, 12:01 PM

570 posts, read 1,820,583 times
Thanks Southernlady, I will try this when as soon as I get home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers