Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 06:41 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,227,543 times

Advertisements

I just purchased a pre-installed Windows 8 desktop.

I tried upgrading the PSU and video card, what a frigging nightmare, I HATE Windows 8 and I HATE UEFI........

Whoever/whatever people/group dreamed them up should be put up against a wall and shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 06:47 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,191,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I just purchased a pre-installed Windows 8 desktop.

I tried upgrading the PSU and video card, what a frigging nightmare, I HATE Windows 8 and I HATE UEFI........

Whoever/whatever people/group dreamed them up should be put up against a wall and shot.
That would be Intel. I've never had problems with UEFI on my macs or PCs.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:22 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,227,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
That would be Intel. I've never had problems with UEFI on my macs or PCs.
This secure boot and signed devices is for the birds....

Old 07-11-2013, 05:24 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,219,364 times
Default The cold truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Analogies aside... what is it, exactly, that you're trying to say about Microsoft?
Well, you did ask...

As a user of Windows 8 on my laptop, I have had a whole range of problems with Microsoft's new operating system ranging from a blue screen of death requiring a reformatting of my hard drive to frustration in learning that my expensive Windows' Vista and 7 applications I bought from Microsoft will not run Windows 8. I's just not me saying this.

A typical forum rant:

"UPLOADING FALLOUT 3. Compatibility issues were encountered whilst attempting to load the game, why has this happened? I am disappointed that I am unable to proceed with loading my software, namely Fallout3 ( amongst other games ). ... It appears that I am not alone.

I'm also disappointed that Microsoft have not considered the millions of people who, like me, would have expected Windows 8 to be an improvement on Windows 7, in terms of gaming online. This could prove disastrous for Microsoft. ... I'm not best pleased with Windows 8 simply for this reason. ...."

Say what you want about slackers who play computer games, but most of the innovations developed for the PC have been the result of the demands of newer video games which push hardware and software limits. Need I point out that this consumer demand is supposedly being met by Microsoft when it ties its "Windows Live" products to its operating system.

You know, this has a Libya feel to it (pardon the analogy) where we won the war and lost the peace. I mean shouldn't Microsoft be responsible to provide fixes to make Windows Alive software products run under its new operating system it sells you? I have no doubt it could if it wanted to.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:23 AM

16,561 posts, read 19,761,655 times
I haven't found anything that won't run on 8 that did run on 7.
Even Office 2003 which is supposed to not work with 8, in fact, does.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:29 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,674,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I haven't found anything that won't run on 8 that did run on 7.
Even Office 2003 which is supposed to not work with 8, in fact, does.
Same here, even installed Steam and a number of games while I had the 90 day preview version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers