Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 09:31 AM

17,717 posts, read 29,890,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Ultimately they'll probably wind up like IBM has. They'll shrink and become a dinosaur. They'll continue to be a player, but they won't innovate much, especially not on the consumer level.
1. Did you do any research before you wrote that?
2. IBM revenues have been growing lately. IBM Investor relations - Financial information
3. IBM has been around for over 120 years. History of IBM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
4. During that 120 year time frame they have had exactly one consumer-focused product. One. Famous for sure, but not a significant factor overall.
5. Won't innovate? List of top United States patent recipients - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 09:33 AM

15,438 posts, read 25,860,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Probably because macs generally have decent quality, mainstream software available - Microsoft Office, Adobe's programs, etc. Both the OS and the hardware work well and are designed well, and they're supported reasonably well. Linux doesn't offer the software, hardware compatibility, or support that users want. It's a total non-starter, which is why it's been a total failure in the past when companies tried to push Linux onto consumers. Dell occasionally flirts with Linux by marketing it to a very small niche.
Quicken doesn't really work on OSX. The reason people still get Macs is Boot Camp, or Parallels, etc.. So they can run Windows. That didn't make sense to me so I don't bother with Windows on the Mac. I'm a rare breed because it seems that every Mac user runs Windows on their Mac.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:44 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,049,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This is the reason, for me. I'd like to get a new laptop but not if it comes with Win8. So I've been putting it off and being content with what I have although a new laptop would solve some things. But...not until they stop making us buy with Win8.
I bought a new laptop last fall while there were still some with Win7 available. I didn't want a Win8 machine at all. I also got a Google Nexus 7 tablet soon after that. I'm set for a while.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:59 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,757,663 times
Well, for one thing if the new Intel Haswell and Ivy Bridge E CPUs aren't way faster than the current CPUs then I don't have much motivation to upgrade. And I always custom build my own desktops. I guess for those people who custom build, Win 8 won't slow them down when they can buy a copy of Win 7.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:30 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,186,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Ultimately they'll probably wind up like IBM has. They'll shrink and become a dinosaur. They'll continue to be a player, but they won't innovate much, especially not on the consumer level.
IBM may have walked away from the consumer market... but there's no possibly way to deny that they are innovative.

Microsoft has one of the best consumer devices on the market. They aren't going anywhere.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
That hasn't stopped people from buying Macs, so why will it stop people from using Linux? Consumers must be made aware that they're buying a Linux PC, not a Windows one. With proper marketing, Linux could take off, just like Android did. It only took two years for Android to go from an OS that nobody heard about to be the dominant mobile OS. The push by Google to make it succeed had a lot to do with it.

MS OEM pricing agreements prevent PC manufacturers from selling too many PC's with any other OS. But, MS doesn't get to make the calls anymore. If PC manufacturers make the effort to market Linux properly, app developers will soon follow and so will users.
OSX has the best UI of all the desktop OS and it has all the major software vendors selling software for it. That's why people use it. Linux has nothing going for it. It's UI is worse than Windows 8.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:53 AM

43,372 posts, read 77,271,918 times
http://mashable.com/2013/04/12/windows-8-pc-sales-woes/

I tend to agree with the writer. There are several factors causing a slowdown in purchases.

Machine development and speed have historically been driven by gaming. I have no interest at all.

I have a 3 1/2 year old desktop with the original Core I7.
I have replaced the hard drive, video card, and the power supply for about $200 in all.
It does everything I ask it to do and likely will for some time to come. And it gets more hard use than most desktops.

I don't know what it will take to get me to upgrade.
Windows 8 would not dissuade me in any way. It just wouldn't be a factor.

The most likely development would be if I decided to put it into a work station in the office and buy something new for myself. Then I would upgrade and probably end up with W8.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:17 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,472,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

Microsoft has one of the best consumer devices on the market. They aren't going anywhere.
Just wait and see. Lets talk again in 5 years.
The only way MS could have been where they were for 20 years is by holding the entire globe hostage with their monstrosity. Once personal computing saw the light, there is no going back.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Just wait and see. Lets talk again in 5 years.
The only way MS could have been where they were for 20 years is by holding the entire globe hostage with their monstrosity. Once personal computing saw the light, there is no going back.
I'll take you on. Let's wait and see. I personally think that the XBOX platform can fully survive even if the.entire Windows PC ecosystem does. Who do you think will replace Microsoft's XBOX in 5 years?

I'll go a step further and suggest that their consumer product line will support the sales of windows products going forward.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:06 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,893,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
http://mashable.com/2013/04/12/windows-8-pc-sales-woes/

I tend to agree with the writer. There are several factors causing a slowdown in purchases.

Machine development and speed have historically been driven by gaming. I have no interest at all.

I have a 3 1/2 year old desktop with the original Core I7.
I have replaced the hard drive, video card, and the power supply for about $200 in all.
It does everything I ask it to do and likely will for some time to come. And it gets more hard use than most desktops.

I don't know what it will take to get me to upgrade.
Windows 8 would not dissuade me in any way. It just wouldn't be a factor.

The most likely development would be if I decided to put it into a work station in the office and buy something new for myself. Then I would upgrade and probably end up with W8.
I don't see a need for the "features" in Windows 8, especially the user interface, at least on a laptop or a desktop computer, in the consumer and business markets. I can't see a company with it's employees using the touch-screen interface, although it has its benefits in the consumer market, it won't help employee productivity in the business environment.

Windows 8 should be okay for mobile devices, but not for office or home computing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers