Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2013, 12:05 PM

689 posts, read 2,058,321 times

Advertisements

We’re having trouble sending mail. It’s intermittent and it happens with all three computers – two PCs and a Mac. The PCs both have a version of Outlook; the Mac has Entourage. The PCs get a Socket Error 10061 and the Mac gets Error 3260 or 17896. Essentially, they say “Unable to connect.”

All other internet functions are OK. Yesterday I sent messages at 6:40. Couldn’t send at 8:00. Then over a 90 minute period, it went in and out again, then was OK the rest of the day. When it happens, I can go to my provider's website and send from there.

It’s been going on for at least three months. It happens once or twice a week. We can still receive mail when this is happening...just can’t send. We replaced our old wireless router with a new one and I can't remember if this started before or after the replacement. I tried to use the router company forum (Netgear Genie) but I couldn't even understand the categories to get started. So I'm coming to my old reliable city-data folks. Help!! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 02:31 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
A couple of reasons here: Socket Error 10061 when sending email? - cPanel Forums

Old 06-04-2013, 02:32 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Do you send a lot of email? If so your ISP is probably blocking you when you reach some limit they've set. Give them a call.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:40 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Doesn't sound like you are sending from a Yahoo E-mail account, but are you sending to one when this happens? Yahoo E-mail has been rife with bizarre technical issues lately.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Doesn't sound like you are sending from a Yahoo E-mail account, but are you sending to one when this happens? Yahoo E-mail has been rife with bizarre technical issues lately.
We're sending to an assortment of addresses. Only one yahoo address and that was my own, when I tried to send one as a test.

And to comment on a previous post, we don't send a lot of messages. No more than ten a day. This has been the worst day. Haven't been able to send for 12 hours now.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:13 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Cindy go into accounts, select one and hit the properties button.

On the advanced tab note the outgoing SMTP port, I believe the default is 25 but whatever it is write it down. Change it to 587 and save.

If that doesn't help change it back to the original and then Google "yourisp SMTP", follow there directions to make sure you have the correct settings for the account.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:47 AM

Thanks to those of you who offered suggestions on fixing the problem. In case you're interested, here's how we solved it. We have an unusual situation. A neighbor has a wireless business, using a signal from a telecom company on an island north of us. He came over and couldn't figure it out so he called the company. They researched it and found that one of his other customers was using an improper configuration on their email program. That caused the telecom company to block sending. Our guy corrected the bad config and we're OK now. I mentioned it to another neighbor and they said, well, yes, they'd had some trouble sending...I guess it would have gone on for a long time if we hadn't gotten fed up with and it complained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers