Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 06:49 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Okay, here's a hypothetical shopping dilemma.

If you could only choose one of these two options, which would you choose? Say they cost the same, and both can have a warranty of 2 years, for a total price of $400.

A 2006 MacBook Pro 15" with upgraded SSD but only 2GB max supported RAM.

OR

A 2008 MacBook Pro 15" not upgraded to SSD but with 4GB max supported RAM.

I ask this because it seems like it's the RAM limitation that keeps me from being able to use newer programs on my PC. Wondering if it's better to have the better drive, but less RAM - or if RAM is more important. Thank you!
After I saw this I looked on craigslist for prices. I couldn't believe how far prices on MacBook Pros fall compared to Macbook Airs.

How much money a month of value does your computer bring to you, include all your C D time, skyping, browsing and researching. You are already probably paying $30+ month of just the internet.

I use to estimate a laptop cost about $30 a month and $15 a month for a desktop based on their useful life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 07:41 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I would probably go with the 2008 if I really had to choose between those two.
Ditto. RAM > SSD

Old 07-28-2014, 01:48 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
After I saw this I looked on craigslist for prices. I couldn't believe how far prices on MacBook Pros fall compared to Macbook Airs.

How much money a month of value does your computer bring to you, include all your C D time, skyping, browsing and researching. You are already probably paying $30+ month of just the internet.

I use to estimate a laptop cost about $30 a month and $15 a month for a desktop based on their useful life.
This is a really interesting way to look at it. This really hits home with me. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Ditto. RAM > SSD
This was my thinking. Thank you. Plus it occurred to me that with the newer one, I could upgrade to an SSD at some point, too? So, I could, in theory, have an SSD plus twice the RAM with the newer one?

Old 07-29-2014, 07:40 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Not sure. Probably. But if that is important to you (and honestly it wouldn't be to me) I would find out before doing it.

SSD's don't make your programs run faster (unless you are low on RAM). SSD's will make your computer start faster, and will start programs faster. But once say Photoshop is loaded... you will see ZERO difference in how it runs.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:30 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,274,669 times
I ended up switching to a Mac a few years ago and I have to say I'm very happy with it. It just works. I'm on my second Mac Mini now, and I love it. I used to love XP, but Windows has that registry thing and it gets corrupted and all goofed up just using the computer. Also, most of the viruses and trojans are targeted on Windows machines. I've never yet had a problem with those on my Macs.

Currently I use a Mac Mini 2.5 Ghz with 8gb memory running Mountain Lion, 10.8.5 and I'm totally happy with it. I have 8 terabytes of USB disks plugged into it and a 27 in. monitor and it's my video server. I never watch TV having given that up years ago. Video and audio editing are a breeze. I'd highly recommend you get a Mac.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:31 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times
Quote:
Not sure. Probably. But if that is important to you (and honestly it wouldn't be to me) I would find out before doing it.

SSD's don't make your programs run faster (unless you are low on RAM). SSD's will make your computer start faster, and will start programs faster. But once say Photoshop is loaded... you will see ZERO difference in how it runs.
I use an SSD for the durability rather than the speed. Laptops get moved around too much. The problem is when you take a lot of picture and become too lazy to delete bad one or even short movie clips you'll fill up the drive. I took a 4 minute movie on my iphone and it came out to 500MB, I moved it via Windows on to a USB hard drive because I didn't want it filling up my SSD or Itunes.

I looked on my 4 year old Mac Book non pro, it ss running with 2GB and I use it mainly for Web Application and Microsoft Office. 4GB is overkill from the everyday non photoshop, non powerpower point user. If you reboot your computer often and don't open 20 browser sessions, you won't need a lot of memory. If you are doing video, you might want the upgraded video card.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:

Okay, now I understand the difference with the SSD. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
I ended up switching to a Mac a few years ago and I have to say I'm very happy with it. It just works. I'm on my second Mac Mini now, and I love it. I used to love XP, but Windows has that registry thing and it gets corrupted and all goofed up just using the computer. Also, most of the viruses and trojans are targeted on Windows machines. I've never yet had a problem with those on my Macs.
Oh, GACK! The registry issues. I have used registry clean up softwares many, many times. It's a constant battle, and who knows if it is even as clean as it should be, even with the clean up software. And it's true that with malware and virus attacks, my anti-everything software keeps busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
I use an SSD for the durability rather than the speed. Laptops get moved around too much. The problem is when you take a lot of picture and become too lazy to delete bad one or even short movie clips you'll fill up the drive. I took a 4 minute movie on my iphone and it came out to 500MB, I moved it via Windows on to a USB hard drive because I didn't want it filling up my SSD or Itunes.

I looked on my 4 year old Mac Book non pro, it ss running with 2GB and I use it mainly for Web Application and Microsoft Office. 4GB is overkill from the everyday non photoshop, non powerpower point user. If you reboot your computer often and don't open 20 browser sessions, you won't need a lot of memory. If you are doing video, you might want the upgraded video card.
Great info, thanks. I like that the SSD is more durable. I like durable.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:49 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
This is incorrect. It depends on the application and the use-case. Especially with Photoshop.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is incorrect. It depends on the application and the use-case. Especially with Photoshop.
So, are you saying the SSD does make programs run faster, too?

Old 07-29-2014, 10:08 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
So, are you saying the SSD does make programs run faster, too?
Not all programs will run faster with an SSD. Many will. Photoshop is a great example. Photoshop uses scratch disk files to manage all the data it has to deal with. Putting these scratch disk files on an SSD will lead to a significant improvement if dealing with large images.

The same applies to video and sound editing software.

If you use up all your RAM, an SSD will be much faster than an HD with virtual memory; enabling programs to be more responsive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers