Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 09:52 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,638,507 times

Advertisements

I have an old Compaq that is limping along. It really does most of what I need to do, thanks for help from this forum on adding memory to it a year ago or so. It's using XP and still chugging.

But, one of the things it can't do that I'd like to do is some simple video editing. It just can't handle a big program.

I bought an ASUS on sale from Best Buy as a back to school computer for about $250 and it's garbage. The resolution is terrible for trying to watch a video on Netflix. Finally found the settings after trying to figure out Windows 8.1 ahhhhh! Anyway, all adjustments didn't help. Then I went to the ASUS website and there was a new driver listed for the intel VGA, tried downloading it, and I got an error that the computer couldn't handle the program LOL! This was from the page for drivers for the model I bought!

Plus, the touchpad needed to be hammered on to register a click. Yes, I even found the settings for that - didn't help.

But, the reason I'm thinking about changing to a Mac is because as I'm going through the screens to set up the new computer, I felt like Microsoft was taking over my life! It took over my Skype account, and tried to hijack my email, and set me up so Microsoft watches everything I do, basically, it said - I didn't understand it all, and didn't feel capable of going into the advanced settings to try and figure out how to undo Microsoft from my life on that computer.

I understand that a Mac would be better to watch videos and to edit them, etc. But, I guess I'm also wondering, is does Mac try to also take over your life and monitor everything you do?

And I'm just getting too old to want to relearn where everything is on my computer every time I upgrade. I find Microsoft operating systems so counter-intuitive. And I understand that on a Mac, it's easy to find your way around. Also, that you can keep a Mac longer? That they are easier to keep ugrading?

What are your thoughts, oh brilliant techies out there? Should this old lady switch to a Mac?

All I do is check email, surf the internet, create some documents, maybe a spreadsheet once a year if that, I stream Netflix, and I'd like to try my hand at doing some video editing to upload onto YouTube. Oh, and I video Skype with a friend in Canada, so I need webcam capability. I want good video quality. And at least a 15" screen. And I want a laptop, not a tablet. I sit in my big chair with my laptop on my lap. Don't want to fuss with a tablet.

I also feel like Google is trying to take over my life, so not interested in a Chrome book.

So, any suggestions on if an old Mac would suit me? Any particular models you'd suggest? What are must-haves? Is there an inexpensive option out there, or do I need to suck it up and spend some money? What would you tell your Mom to do? LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 10:41 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,638,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeQ View Post
You will be overjoyed with a Mac. Been using them for 24 years.
Ah, you're getting me excited lol! Can you recommend a used model that would do for me? I see Macs apparently really hold their value. Been looking on Ebay. I'm hoping this means they will last a long time, without having to change to new and confusing operating systems?

Old 07-25-2014, 06:15 AM

6,599 posts, read 11,341,111 times
Whether or not you "should" switch is up to you. Based on what you've listed as your needs/requirements, either will work. I think the issues that you ran into may have more to do with you going with a "budget" computer than a case of PC or Mac being better suited for you.

In addition, the PCs you get from consumer outlets will come with a boatload of preloaded software that comes with it. This can make your purchase cheaper (look at it as sponsorship), but it comes at a different cost - Performance. You can rectify that if you know how (basically uninstall all the 'bloatware' or just rebuild from scratch).

When you buy a Mac - the hardware, OS, and most of the software are all from Apple. This doesn't mean you don't get anything you don't want or need. Apple has its own ecosystem that they will try and get you to participate in (e.g. iCloud).

As for being "watched" - that depends on how you look at it. Some see it as a convenience thing. But yes, just about every large social application will gather info on your habits. I use google now, and if I get an email about meeting someone or have something on my calendar, my phone will automatically tell me how to get there and how long it'll take. It also knows my work address since it correlate where I go from M-F (using my phone/GPS). So now I get traffic reports and travel times every morning. I like it, my wife thinks it's creepy.

Can the right PC do what you need? yes. But if you want a Mac - go for it. I do think Apple has traditionally put more thought into how to help consumers get the most out of their tools (this is a model that Samsung also did well, hence the huge success with their phone). MS on the other hand, still lags a bit behind on that. Just my .02.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:00 AM

15,462 posts, read 25,909,263 times
The Mac is better, but I would not say that it will be easier. Maybe easier than Windows 8, but not so sure it is easier than Windows 7 or XP, if those were what you were used to before now. The way Macs work will require you to think differently about how things work. The browsers (Firefox, Chrome) are the same as on Windows pretty much, so those will be easy. Video editing will be easier on the Mac.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:49 AM

16,597 posts, read 19,817,873 times
I say "Go For it". I'm convinced people that stop using their brains (and there are studies to back me up) are a cause of Dementia/Alzheimers. Do it. Learn something new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Whether or not you "should" switch is up to you. Based on what you've listed as your needs/requirements, either will work. I think the issues that you ran into may have more to do with you going with a "budget" computer than a case of PC or Mac being better suited for you.
This is THE point to be made here, though. You bought a $250 laptop. Now you're going to switch to a $1,000 Apple and be like "WOW! That Windows PC was garbage..."
If you would have spent $1,0000 on that laptop.

Apple will try to take over your life, so to speak, but they aren't as heavy handed as MS...

Old 07-25-2014, 07:49 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Apple will happily "take over your life" too with iCloud if you let them. Fortunately there's one place in the system preferences (handily called iCloud) where you select what you want to share. If you only have one computer and don't care about keeping things synced between multiple devices, then you can skip it altogether.

As for 15" at least, that basically means the Macbook Pro 15" or the Macbook Pro Retina 15". The Retina is thinner and has a nicer display, but you'll pay more. Newer models are available only with the retina display.

I would avoid the Air. The screen isn't nearly as nice as what you'll find on the Macbook Pro. It's still better than the junk you'll find on most PC laptops, but for things like Netflix you'll really notice the difference when viewing at weird angles.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:03 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,819,653 times
You can't expect much from a $250 pc. Macs hold their prices because there is no other Mac competitor. Apple sues them out of business.Whichever Mac you get, I'd get one with an SSD, maybe a previous generation macbook refurb. Keep in mind that macs also no longer ship with DVD drives. I'm not sure if you are writing your video to disk. Since you are familiar enough with drivers, you can install windows and dual boot if you really needed windows apps.

iPhoto's and imovie do take over, so it is not isolate to Microsoft. I found dealing with files and folders has been much easier on windows than a Mac.

If I had an iPhone, iPad and MacBook right next to me, I'd grab the iphone to read emails and surf.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:45 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,505,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
You can't expect much from a $250 pc. Macs hold their prices because there is no other Mac competitor. Apple sues them out of business.Whichever Mac you get, I'd get one with an SSD, maybe a previous generation macbook refurb. Keep in mind that macs also no longer ship with DVD drives. I'm not sure if you are writing your video to disk. Since you are familiar enough with drivers, you can install windows and dual boot if you really needed windows apps.

iPhoto's and imovie do take over, so it is not isolate to Microsoft. I found dealing with files and folders has been much easier on windows than a Mac.

If I had an iPhone, iPad and MacBook right next to me, I'd grab the iphone to read emails and surf.
Hhhmmm.....I got my Macbook pro last summer and it has a DVD drive in it. Albeit, no SSD, but I elected to get what I got, simply because the Apple associate told me the Macbook pros could not be upgraded (in terms of both memory and storage drive.) So, I elected to get the Mac with the standard hard drive. I suppose by now, maybe Apple has stopped shipping the laptops with DVD drives - I still have a need for one.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:31 PM

15,462 posts, read 25,909,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Hhhmmm.....I got my Macbook pro last summer and it has a DVD drive in it. Albeit, no SSD, but I elected to get what I got, simply because the Apple associate told me the Macbook pros could not be upgraded (in terms of both memory and storage drive.) So, I elected to get the Mac with the standard hard drive. I suppose by now, maybe Apple has stopped shipping the laptops with DVD drives - I still have a need for one.
What???

That associate must have been wrong. I believe you can upgrade both. At least I did to my MacBook Pro. I added the memory myself. Of course, this was a early 2011 version, but I do not think they took away the ability to upgrade those or did they?

Old 07-25-2014, 01:20 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,505,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
What???

That associate must have been wrong. I believe you can upgrade both. At least I did to my MacBook Pro. I added the memory myself. Of course, this was a early 2011 version, but I do not think they took away the ability to upgrade those or did they?
Apparently on the Macbook Pros that use SSDs. Then again, I don't know what to believe when I walk into an Apple store. I mean, the macbook with the SSD and retina display would have been nice, but not necessary. I still got a wonderful computer that I have been thrilled with - also one that I can duo boot with Windows if need be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers