Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 01:58 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Hhhmmm.....I got my Macbook pro last summer and it has a DVD drive in it. Albeit, no SSD, but I elected to get what I got, simply because the Apple associate told me the Macbook pros could not be upgraded (in terms of both memory and storage drive.) So, I elected to get the Mac with the standard hard drive. I suppose by now, maybe Apple has stopped shipping the laptops with DVD drives - I still have a need for one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
What???

That associate must have been wrong. I believe you can upgrade both. At least I did to my MacBook Pro. I added the memory myself. Of course, this was a early 2011 version, but I do not think they took away the ability to upgrade those or did they?
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Apparently on the Macbook Pros that use SSDs. Then again, I don't know what to believe when I walk into an Apple store. I mean, the macbook with the SSD and retina display would have been nice, but not necessary. I still got a wonderful computer that I have been thrilled with - also one that I can duo boot with Windows if need be.
Things change on the Pro. No more DVD, memory is now soldered to the board, can't use a keyboard protector or palm rest cover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 06:39 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeQ View Post
What sort of computer are you looking for? Desktop or laptop?
Sorry about that. A laptop. And I sit in my big chair with it on my lap, so a tablet wouldn't work for me.

Reps all around everyone! Thank you so much.

You do have a good point about getting a $250 PC. Quite true. Junk. I took it back to Best Buy today, and was very happy with how easy it was to return. No restocking fee.

Then, turns out the Redding Best Buy has an Apple store in it. So, I got to look at and feel and mess around with the MacBooks they had on display. They had the $1000 one (Air?) and the MacBook Pro. I got to look at both a 13" and a 15".

I think I could get used to the 13" but would prefer a bigger screen.

As far as getting a more expensive PC, I'm hoping to spend around $400 for the laptop. And i expect there to be add-ons. I buy my warranties through Square Trade - way cheaper.

But, am wondering if a $400 refurbished MacBook would make me happier than a $400 new PC.

After the salesman showed me how to get around in the Mac, where settings were, etc., I just really felt convinced it would be a way easier learning curve for me. I was trying to just click in the middle of the touchpad and it wasn't working. So I asked him if this was specific to Macs. Do you always have to right click to get the cursor in place. He said, no, it's just the setting, and then showed me how to do it. It was soooooo easy! I've never had a PC where it was that easy to find this type of setting adjustment. Just to make sure i got it, when he got called away, I changed the setting on one of the other models lol! So easy.

He also told me they don't have DVDs. When I got to thinking about it, I rarely use my DVD drive. I have never once in my life burned a CD lol! So, truthfully, it would be a rare occasion that it bothered me not to have a DVD in the laptop. But, if I buy an older model anyway, it may have one.

As far as the "convenience" of either Apple or MS knowing where I work and live and everything, it does creep me out. I feel "tracked" and well, I am! Perhaps I just need to get used to it, or figure out privacy settings. I just find it irksome that you have to UN-do privacy settings. It should be the other way around. I should have to change the settings to ALLOW people to track me, instead of the other way. It's just "unfair" for non-techies like myself to have to get a PHD in privacy settings to protect my privacy. Oh well, time marches on.

Thank you so much all of you. I have made my decision, though, new or old, my next computer will be a Mac. I can't afford one yet, so hopefully this old Compaq will limp along until I get my tax return next year :-)

I really appreciate all of your insight and knowledge and help.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:26 PM

We should have started with your budget. Your budget gets a used non-Apple certified old MacBook air would probably one hour battery life

Old 07-25-2014, 09:29 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
You can't expect much from a $250 pc. Macs hold their prices because there is no other Mac competitor. Apple sues them out of business.Whichever Mac you get, I'd get one with an SSD, maybe a previous generation macbook refurb. Keep in mind that macs also no longer ship with DVD drives. I'm not sure if you are writing your video to disk. Since you are familiar enough with drivers, you can install windows and dual boot if you really needed windows apps.

iPhoto's and imovie do take over, so it is not isolate to Microsoft. I found dealing with files and folders has been much easier on windows than a Mac.

If I had an iPhone, iPad and MacBook right next to me, I'd grab the iphone to read emails and surf.
I seldom use iPhoto, except for easy-looking at photos and such (slideshows and such). The same for iMovie. What I do is to the their preferences to what I want them to do., but for photo editing I use PhotoShop and Graphic Converter (the poor man's PhotoShop).

In relation to DVD drives, there are lots of versions to choose from, cheap, and most are plug and play these days.
--------

To the OP: an iMac with a 21" or larger screen costs a little more than a MacBook Pro, and you could probably get more than ten years of good use.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:52 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,864,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
As far as getting a more expensive PC, I'm hoping to spend around $400 for the laptop.

But, am wondering if a $400 refurbished MacBook would make me happier than a $400 new PC.
As far as I know, I don't think you can get a $400 refurbished MacBook. The cheapest on their store website is an 11 inch MacBook Air for $720. You'd likely have to buy a used Mac laptop.
Refurbished Mac Computers - Refurbished Notebooks & Desktop Computers - Apple Store (U.S.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
All I do is check email, surf the internet, create some documents, maybe a spreadsheet once a year if that, I stream Netflix, and I'd like to try my hand at doing some video editing to upload onto YouTube. Oh, and I video Skype with a friend in Canada, so I need webcam capability. I want good video quality. And at least a 15" screen.

I also feel like Google is trying to take over my life, so not interested in a Chrome book.
I would strongly consider a Chromebook based on your above criteria & what you wrote in your first post. Yes, I know you feel like Google is also taking over your life, but that's the internet/computers for you. You'll get that with Mac, & Microsoft as well. Chromebooks are fairly easy to learn.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:15 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
I would strongly consider a Chromebook based on your above criteria & what you wrote in your first post. Yes, I know you feel like Google is also taking over your life, but that's the internet/computers for you. You'll get that with Mac, & Microsoft as well. Chromebooks are fairly easy to learn.
Sigh…

User says they use Skype. And you say they should "strongly consider a Chromebook"? Why? Why would you suggest something that doesn't do one of the basic things they use their computer for?

Old 07-26-2014, 06:30 AM

4,667 posts, read 3,864,415 times
Google Hangouts! It's configured right in gmail & is easier to use than skype. With Skype she'd have to find a compatible file, download it, & then run it on her new laptop. Hangouts will work fine since she does video calling with 1 friend. It's free & open to anyone.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:04 AM

My 5 year old macbook air with 120GB SSD was a very capable computer for the basics which you have mentioned. I've been shopping for another since mine died, the price floor is $500 on craigslist. I only recommend used computer to people willing to reinstall the operating system, even then you have old parts such as fans which will wear out. A used mac mini is a cheap way to try out the Mac OS

Old 07-26-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
We should have started with your budget. Your budget gets a used non-Apple certified old MacBook air would probably one hour battery life
Actually, the battery life is not an issue for me. I only use my laptop at home. And I can buy a new battery, right?

I remembered that Square Trade let me buy a warranty for a used old Brother laser printer I bought on Ebay, so thought I'd ask them if they would give me a warranty on a used Mac on Ebay, and they said they will. They have some kind of deal with Ebay, where they normally won't warranty used items, they will if you buy it on Ebay. I've found buyers on Ebay who refurbish and upgrade Macs, and they're much cheaper than the Apple store's refurbished options.

So, I could actually buy an older upgraded MacBook and buy a Square Trade warranty for it. The max length warranty period would be 2 years for a laptop purchased on Ebay.

So, let's say I find one that's been upgraded to the SSD, that's an older Mac, and I get a warranty on it from Square Trade, is there any reason not to do this?

I don't care what it looks like as far as dents or scratches, etc, or if the battery life is good, as long as I can get a new battery for it, if/when I want one later.

Any other reasons this would be a bad idea? Would it do what I need it to do for many years to come, even though it's old, if it's been upgraded to the SSD? Specifically, what I mean is it's capacity as far as software I might want to buy and use on it down the road. This is the issue I have with my old Compaq. It can no longer handle any programs I want to buy and use on it, such as video editing, or even an upgraded virus scanning software. They are too big for my system to handle.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 07-26-2014 at 04:40 PM..

Old 07-26-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Google Hangouts! It's configured right in gmail & is easier to use than skype. With Skype she'd have to find a compatible file, download it, & then run it on her new laptop. Hangouts will work fine since she does video calling with 1 friend. It's free & open to anyone.
This is interesting. One of the things I like about my Skype subscription is that I can also use it as a landline, and save on my cell phone minutes (cheap plan). I have a Skype number, and with it I can call any phone with it. It will also forward my Skype number calls to my cell phone.

Wondering if this Google Hangouts would have these features, too?

I'm just thinking I'd be too frustrated with a Chromebook, if it limits me from being able to use anything I want on the web.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers