Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 11:29 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,375,504 times

Advertisements

In Windows, if you have an avi or any file that exceeds 4GB, it will not allow you to copy that file or burn to a DVD unless you break up the file and/or reduce into smaller files.

Has anyone found a way around this or a utlity that can address large file formats? I have several files that exceed 11 GB.

I know I can use Linux/UNIX as a work around solution for this, but was wondering if anyone had found one for Windows.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 06:36 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
In Windows, if you have an avi or any file that exceeds 4GB, it will not allow you to copy that file or burn to a DVD unless you break up the file and/or reduce into smaller files.

Has anyone found a way around this or a utlity that can address large file formats? I have several files that exceed 11 GB.

I know I can use Linux/UNIX as a work around solution for this, but was wondering if anyone had found one for Windows.

Thank you.
Not sure I'm understanding, it has nothing to do with Windows, standard DVD's only hold about 4GB, using a different OS doesn't change that, you can't put any more data on a disk than it was designed to hold. Double layer DVD will hold around 8GB. I think I'm missing something in your question

Old 02-04-2008, 07:14 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:

Thank you.
You can try to use DVD shrink program that will compress the file to fit a given storage space size.

dvdshrink.org: FREE Backup Solution for your DVD movies!

Not sure if that is what you are looking for.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:40 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,375,504 times
The problem is, under Windows, you can not do this with a file that is over 4 GB. It will not allow, as an example, to drag and drop. Windows goes into brain freeze with any file over that size. It will not allow the file to be zipped either.

Thanks for your input, however. And BTW, it has everything to do with Windows and its OS because of its file size limitations. If it were a 64 bit OS then this would be a mute point. :-)

Old 02-05-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
The problem is, under Windows, you can not do this with a file that is over 4 GB. It will not allow, as an example, to drag and drop. Windows goes into brain freeze with any file over that size. It will not allow the file to be zipped either.

Thanks for your input, however. And BTW, it has everything to do with Windows and its OS because of its file size limitations. If it were a 64 bit OS then this would be a mute point. :-)
I would have to disagree, I've dealt with 6GB+ file sizes on my 32 bit XP Pro install with no problems, I think you have issues elsewhere.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:32 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,504,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I would have to disagree, I've dealt with 6GB+ file sizes on my 32 bit XP Pro install with no problems, I think you have issues elsewhere.
Jhlcomp's point is valid.

The 32 bit proc can only address so many bits at a time. However, just because a file is 4GB large, does not mean that the processor has to address all of the bits at once. Heres a misconception. The large file size issue I believe has to do with the FAT and FAT32 File systems. Switching to NTFS should help that.

the 32 bit proc and 4GB issue is related to RAM. 4GB is the maximum that Windows XP will see, because thats the maximum the processor can address. And at 4GB, you are unlikely to see a full 4GB, but more like 3.74GB because the motherboard and base processes eat some of it.

We deal with extremely large file sizes at work (450GB), and while we don't move them with windows, we do do things to burn to a DVD using Nero. Ghost and other such utilities will also parse a file out to the respective size.

I suggest you try using Nero to burn your files.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
Jhlcomp's point is valid.

The 32 bit proc can only address so many bits at a time. However, just because a file is 4GB large, does not mean that the processor has to address all of the bits at once. Heres a misconception. The large file size issue I believe has to do with the FAT and FAT32 File systems. Switching to NTFS should help that.

the 32 bit proc and 4GB issue is related to RAM. 4GB is the maximum that Windows XP will see, because thats the maximum the processor can address. And at 4GB, you are unlikely to see a full 4GB, but more like 3.74GB because the motherboard and base processes eat some of it.
That is all correct, but the Fat32 file size limit is 2GB so I don't think that's his problem as it shouldn't even allow the creation of 4GB files.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:34 AM

3,974 posts, read 5,167,066 times
Quote:
That is all correct, but the Fat32 file size limit is 2GB so I don't think that's his problem as it shouldn't even allow the creation of 4GB files.
FAT16 does not allow over 2GB. FAT32 allows file sizes up to 4GB. As long as your not running Windows 95, you should be OK.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:59 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,504,718 times
Quote:
See, I stopped using FAT as soon as I could use NTFS, so I just remembered the basic issue.

Thanks for the update St33lcas3

Old 02-06-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
FAT16 does not allow over 2GB. FAT32 allows file sizes up to 4GB. As long as your not running Windows 95, you should be OK.
Whoops, your correct, too many numbers floating around in my head, and I was just dealing with an Outlook 2000 2GB PST issue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers